LegacyGT.com

Extremely RICH in Boost

2005 Legacy GT

So the newest problem on this car was my starter went bad.. No big deal, swapped it out and fired right up.

Now anytime I go to build any positive boost, the car runs extremely rich. (~10.0, pretty sure its so rich my wide band can't even detect it). Even if i blip the throttle a tiny bit, the car drops to 11-12 AFR.

I swapped the MAF, didn't do anything. No codes. Took the intercooler off and made sure that everything I had touched was tight.

I've sprayed soapy water around the intercooler pipes and the turbo as well and there are no bubbles.

The car runs fine, as long as I do not get near positive pressure. Idle AFRs are where they normally are.

I should also note that when WOT, the car only hits about 10PSI, whereas normally I hit 14-15PSI

I'm literally losing my mind on this, please for the love of God someone figure this out because I have no more ideas ��

Edited by AllBlowNoGo

Wish I knew the answer to this. My car has been doing the same thing for awhile now. I did notice my boost gauge only read 11 psi while the MAP sensor reads 13 psi.

Have you checked for any exhaust leaks? I know my uppipe has a terrible leak at the connection to the headers causing a bit of boost error across the rpms.

I'm thinking it has to be something with boost control. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but in open loop the ecu doesn't apply a substantial amount of afr correction. Instead, fuel is added given the load and rpm range. Less boost means the expected air is not present causing extremely rich conditions. The ecu cutting boost for whatever reason could be a number of things, but, some leak or maybe the MAP sensor is most likely the culprit.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Edited by dwmccauley01

2005 Legacy GT

So the newest problem on this car was my starter went bad.. No big deal, swapped it out and fired right up.

Now anytime I go to build any positive boost, the car runs extremely rich. (~10.0, pretty sure its so rich my wide band can't even detect it). Even if i blip the throttle a tiny bit, the car drops to 11-12 AFR.

I swapped the MAF, didn't do anything. No codes. Took the intercooler off and made sure that everything I had touched was tight.

I've sprayed soapy water around the intercooler pipes and the turbo as well and there are no bubbles.

The car runs fine, as long as I do not get near positive pressure. Idle AFRs are where they normally are.

I should also note that when WOT, the car only hits about 10PSI, whereas normally I hit 14-15PSI

I'm literally losing my mind on this, please for the love of God someone figure this out because I have no more ideas ��

Pretty much same. Mine drops to 8 wot tho lol. And my fuel correction and learning are all over the map. No leaks. Same as you. Getting retuned. Hopefully that solves it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The problem is due to your tune dumping as much fuel as is needed for the higher levels of boost that it's not getting, i.e. you have a boost leak. How are you checking for leaks? I'm not sure you're really going to get anything decent from spraying soapy-water on the IC while idling (and you can't see the TB-IC hose at all). I'd start by looking at the TB-IC hose, since that's the one that typically pops off.

First test to try is the one where you plug the intake (pint-can of paint is a good size IIRC), then pull the boost reference hose from the BPV, blow into it to pressurize the system, cover it with your thumb and listen for any leaks (you should also have air blow out of the hose when you remove your thumb from the end of the line).