LegacyGT.com

Grounding issue or alternator? Battery wants to explode!

Lets play the what's wrong with my car today game!!... (05 LGT)

First, engine was pulled and blown head gaskets changed about a week ago. Engine seems to run better than ever now.

New issue is this... error codes on odometer give Er IU (body integration unit) and Er SP (speed sensor issue). Warning lights on dash that pop up and come and go are brake, ABS, airbags, and battery/voltage. Also door locks, speedo, lights, keyless entry are all acting up and all pointing to the BIU fault I'm guessing.

Self diagnostic gives the codes below...

C0109 - Power Voltage Malfunction

C0111 - Motor/motor relay on failure

C0115 - ABS wheel speed sensor failure (at any one of the wheels, not specific)

The plot thickens today when I notice a funky smell and explore to find my battery is smoking, leaking, and is super expanded. It's ready to blow.

I'm fine with changing wheel sensors myself and I'll leave the BIU to the dealer, but this new battery thing I feel points to the alternator screwing up and over charging the system and maybe causing all the other issues. Is that possible?... Or would a lose or dirty ground point or anything to do with the engine removal and head gasket job cause any of this?

And advise short of calling in a priest for an exorcism on my car would be appreciated. Thanks!

I would check your grounds. batt to chassis, eng to chassis, trans to chassis, batt to eng. ALL of them. I had a 97 outback I rebuilt the engine and installed it with no issues. a month or so later strange CEL lights(codes like speed sensors) random shutting off. radio not working ,turn signals not working intermittently. weird things totally unrelated to each other.

What I found the small wire at the negative terminal to chassis had corroded inside the insulation and was no longer acting as a ground. very odd. I cut it shorter crimped on a new end and all is back to normal.

hope this helps you.

I would check your grounds. batt to chassis, eng to chassis, trans to chassis, batt to eng. ALL of them. I had a 97 outback I rebuilt the engine and installed it with no issues. a month or so later strange CEL lights(codes like speed sensors) random shutting off. radio not working ,turn signals not working intermittently. weird things totally unrelated to each other.

What I found the small wire at the negative terminal to chassis had corroded inside the insulation and was no longer acting as a ground. very odd. I cut it shorter crimped on a new end and all is back to normal.

hope this helps you.

Thanks! Any way you can help me know where all those grounds might be so I can check them? Is there by chance a list of the grounds and their locations or better yet a diagram?

At the top starter bolt is one.

on the back of the intake manifold by the brake booster there are two bolts on a metal bar above the valve cover.

two ground wires one from each head to the chassis. There's a tranny ground wire from the dog bone mount on the firewall down to the tranny harness

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived