LegacyGT.com

Recommendations on What to Buy, 2019 or 2020

BUMP.. Any more inputs. I'm still torn between buying a brand new leftover 2019 3.6R or a 2020 Legacy XT.. Is the Gen 7 cabin that much quieter then the Gen 6.

No one really knows, as the 2020's are just hitting the lots. Test drive both and make a choice.

I'm still torn between buying a brand new leftover 2019 3.6R or a 2020 Legacy XT.

Wait much longer and the decision will be made for you. 2019 3.6Rs are already showing signs of being in short supply, and it's only going to get worse. They stopped building them two months ago.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

there are quite a few video reviews of the 2020 now, so maybe take a look at those. The XT is supposed to be very quiet inside due to the use of acoustic glass, etc. A positive thing to consider is that the engine, while it's new to the legacy, is not new to Subaru and has a few years under its belt in the Ascent.

The 3.6R has been around for a while, and one complaint I see a lot is that the engine is really shoe-horned into the engine bay, and there is not a whole lot of space to work, which may be a concern if you do your own wrenching.

Hey! Just actually got back from training on the new 2020 Outback and Legacy and can confirm that the 2020 models will have the smartphone capability while the 2019 will not as it has the gen 1 starlink system. Let me know if you have any other questions on the new one!

I know the down sides to getting the first in a new model series, however, I am liking what I am reading about the 2020 Legacy and still considering it when they hit the dealer showrooms next month (hopefully). One question I do have about the smart phone connectivity to control remote start and climate controls, on previous year other Subaru models when you start the car via a smartphone, does the engine shut off when you unlock the door to get in or does it continue running ?

I currently have it on the lady's 19 Crosstrek and it does not turn off when you open the doors at all. It would turn off if it hits it's time cap or if you were to try putting it in gear without putting your foot on the brake and pushing the start button. Great system we use it all the time up here in MN

Ctrain7093,

Thank you very much for the info, that is great news for me. I currently have a 2016 Camry and like it but would prefer to have an all wheel drive (for future trips in remote desert areas and also up to Flagstaff in the snow) and good iphone connectivity for remote start and climate controls; the factory offered connectivity options on the Camry are very limited, seems like it is something Toyota is not interested in offering. Sounds like Subaru's Starlink system offers a lot more so got me looking at Subarus. The factory remote start connectivity on the Camry shuts down the engine as soon as you unlock the door, which just does not make any sense to me, sort of negates the beneft of being able to pre-cool or pre-heat the car. We are in the southwest where temps now are close to 110 so being able to pre-cool without having to shut down the engine when we get in sounds good to me. Also, we are only a couple hours drive to Flagstaff where there is winter weather like we had when we were back east, and always installed remote starts in our cars for preheating back there. Definitely want a factory remote start, as my experiences with aftermarket remote starts has been mixed.

Just curious, how do you like the Crosstrek? Does it drive as quiet in the cabin as the Legacy?

She absolutely loves her Crosstrek! I will say I do not think it is as quiet but it does have a little more ground clearance so the road noise isn't quite as loud. The Subaru factory remote start from a separate key fob will have the same effect as the Toyota where it turns off when you open the door. (never really understood that myself) But the starlink connectivity will not turn off on you and we have used it for all sorts of stuff since MN likes to have temper tantrums with its weather.

• 2 weeks later...

I own a 2016 and drove a 2020 last week.

My opinion:

-- If you don't care about options, buy a 2019.

-- If you're buying the car loaded with every option, buy a 2020.

If I was in your position, I'd buy a 2020.