LegacyGT.com

Recommendations on What to Buy, 2019 or 2020

Looking for advice from all of you experienced Subaru owners. So I have never owned a Subaru, previous cars included many other brands, currently have a 2016 Camry, but now decided I like the idea of all wheel drive, even though I do not live in a bad weather area, the sunny southwest, but want a sedan, specifically the Legacy size car, with remote start capability and climate controls via a smartphone.

Would be very interested in hearing any thoughts you would share on whether to go with a 2019 or wait a couple months for the 2020 mocels? From what I have been reading on line, looks like the 2020 models have some interesting changes.

Not clear, but from what I am reading and talking to sales people (after listening to all their sales double talk, seems like the ones I have talked to at least, just dont know much about the capabilities of Starlink, that the current Starlink version has what I want with regard to remote start and climate controls, anyone know about this?

Thanks for any info you can share.

I'm in the "don't get the first year of any new generation of car" boat for reliability concerns, but if you don't keep cars very long, that's probably not a big concern for you.

I think for the 6th Generation, you'd probably be best to look at an aftermarket system for controlling your car with your phone. I don't think if we have enough info on the 2020 to know if it'll have capabilities like that from the factory.

Considering the 2019 Impreza, Ascent, Crosstrek, and Forester all have remote start with climate control setting, I don't think it would be too far of a stretch to assume the 2020 legacy and outback will adopt the same (or maybe more advanced) features - especially with the drastically upgraded infotainment screen. However, I have not officially read anything from Subaru concerning this to say this as an absolute fact.

With what sounds like a greatly updated interior, the new infotainment unit, and the slight 1mpg fuel efficiency increase, I would personally wait for the 2020 and accept their might be a greater chance of a few quality issues out of the gate. Those wouldn't be of large concern to me as any initial quality problems would be covered under warranty.

Have fun deciding!

I'm in the "don't get the first year of any new generation of car" boat for reliability concerns, but if you don't keep cars very long, that's probably not a big concern for you.

I think for the 6th Generation, you'd probably be best to look at an aftermarket system for controlling your car with your phone. I don't think if we have enough info on the 2020 to know if it'll have capabilities like that from the factory.

100% agree with this, wait for the 2nd or 3rd year refresher.

Also there is a possibility they bring the next gen eyesight to the US soon.

Normally I’d say not to get a first year Subaru model, but with the 2020 being on the SGP, and hearing all the positive feedback on the other vehicles on the SGP, I’d test drive a 2020 and see how it feels. Would be worth it to me IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey! Just actually got back from training on the new 2020 Outback and Legacy and can confirm that the 2020 models will have the smartphone capability while the 2019 will not as it has the gen 1 starlink system. Let me know if you have any other questions on the new one!

Hey! Just actually got back from training on the new 2020 Outback and Legacy and can confirm that the 2020 models will have the smartphone capability while the 2019 will not as it has the gen 1 starlink system. Let me know if you have any other questions on the new one!

You should tell Subaru to fix MySubaru app, it’s total garbage, it’s slow, it’s clunky, you have to keep entering a stupid passcode to perform any actions.

Overall this is the worst auto app I’ve ever used.

I can't argue with that. On the gen 2 version it has a lot more capability. I hate to say it but I think they got over excited about trying to get that app out and didn't think it all the way through. Gen 2 is way better overall with the whole user experience. Even the starlink app I have a hard time making sense of it for the average person that would be using it.

Whichever you decide on make sure you take it on a high speed (60 or so) test drive because there's more than a few people on this site that say the 6th gen is unstable at high speeds.

I regularly drive 70-80 Mph and have never experienced this.

... there's more than a few people on this site that say the 6th gen is unstable at high speeds.

And thousands upon thousands who have never posted because they've never encountered such a problem.

The only "instability" I've encountered at highway speeds has been under conditions of 40+ mph gusting crosswinds ... and that will tend to destabilize almost any vehicle. (I've watch a semi tractor-trailer combination about a hundred yards ahead of me get blown over by gusting crosswinds like that.)

Edited by ammcinnis

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

I can't argue with that. On the gen 2 version it has a lot more capability. I hate to say it but I think they got over excited about trying to get that app out and didn't think it all the way through. Gen 2 is way better overall with the whole user experience. Even the starlink app I have a hard time making sense of it for the average person that would be using it.

The gen 2 app in the car is fine, I too agree on STARLINK in the car, I use the radio/music app and nav with my iPhone.

They really need to hire a different company to rethink their mobile app user experience. It’s just too much hassle to work it.

I definitely would agree with that train of thought but I bought the first of the sixth gen obviously and ironically it seems that aside from some minor issues like wind noise bc of seals needing replacements under a tsb or the fuel door sticking issue - my problems seem minimal at worst compared to some of the recall issues the 16 and above had to deal with. *knocks on wood*

If you look at https://www.carcomplaints.com/Subaru/Legacy/, there was a big spike in complaints for 2015 Legacy's compared to 2014.

"Complaints" don't necessarily correlate with actual "problems," especially in a new model year. If you drill down, the two most common complaints for MY 2015 from the source you cite (see https://www.carcomplaints.com/Subaru/Legacy/2015/) were 1) sticking fuel door, and 2) wind noise ... both of which Subaru addressed under warranty by TSBs.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

"Complaints" don't necessarily correlate with actual "problems," especially in a new model year. If you drill down, the two most common complaints for MY 2015 from the source you cite (see https://www.carcomplaints.com/Subaru/Legacy/2015/) were 1) sticking fuel door, and 2) wind noise ... both of which Subaru addressed under warranty by TSBs.

That's true. However, it's even better if you don't need to go to a dealer to get issues fixed at all whether it's covered under the warranty or not.

Yea, Subaru is so perfect lately that they themselves said they need to work on their quality... not to mention warranty extensions for power train items like CVT and engines

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=Subaru+admits+quality+issues

so please do us all a favor and quit denying that Subaru currently has issues.. Also for the 2010-14 cars, the 14 has a very large number of recalls for a model that has been for a while...why is that? (hint maxed out production wise since 2014....) The FB engine has been stateside since 2010 (Forrester)

The 15 model power train is basically a 13-14 carry over.. that car should have few if any problems for a new model year

... please do us all a favor and quit denying that Subaru currently has issues.

Please cite where I have done so. Hyperbole, maybe? All car manufacturers, brands, and models (including Subaru) have occasional "issues," but some are more significant than others. The important thing is how the manufacturers address those issues when they arise.

Edited by ammcinnis

spacer.png

Please cite where I have done so. Hyperbole, maybe? All car manufacturers, brands, and models (including Subaru) have occasional "issues," but some are more significant than others. The important thing is how the manufacturers address those issues when they arise.

while that may be part of the equation, how well the car is built in the first place is more important and Subaru has been slipping in that department...soon my 2003 Legacy will be heading to the scrap heap due age and while I would like to get another Subaru, seeing all of these serious quality issues pop up and my overall experience with my 2014 means I will most likely look elsewhere for my next car...

oil consumption issues (granted they are not the only ones here)

CVT warranty extension (they did not do this out of the kindness of their heart)

FB series valve spring issues

body assembly issues (not the first time for this one either)

parking brake problems

Things I have had to get replaced on my car in the 45K i have driven it

1. Front brakes due to caliper seized up total cost $350 for caliper, brake pads, rotors, misc parts.

These were covered under warranty and I was without said car for 8+ weeks

2. Intake gaskets (in extreme cold car did not run right)

3. Front o2 (kept getting code P0171)

4. CVT (Subaru dealer did the 30K service and cracked the differential)

5. MAF sensor (kept getting code p0717)

6. Thermostat (no heat even though the car was warming up as expected) imagine driving to work when it is -30F outside and all you get for heat is 68F degree air- yes all the blend doors are working properly. Took Subaru dealers 3 years to fix that issue.

Add to that fuel economy that goes from an average of 30mpg down to 21-22mpg in the winter for no apparent reason.... while the 2003 legacy drops less than 2mpg in the same conditions....and it has over 2x the mileage on said car... (about 140K)

• 2 weeks later...
Whichever you decide on make sure you take it on a high speed (60 or so) test drive because there's more than a few people on this site that say the 6th gen is unstable at high speeds.

I go around 90 mph twice a day on my way to work and back and never had a problem. In fact its quite stable, smooth, and quiet. I have upgraded the rear sway bar to the STI one, and have decent tires, FWIW. Even still, didn't have a problem before those changes. Tires do make a world of a difference and stock tires usually suck.

Or sometimes the second year. The '15 Forester XT (and '15 WRX) had some of the same yet-to-be resolved issues as my '14 FXT. We truly were their guinea pigs on that one!

Luckily, everything was resolved and we stuck it out instead of trading at a huge loss.

'15 FB25

Magnatec 0W-20 + FU filter (70,517 miles)

RSB, Fr. Strut Bar, Tint, STI BBS, LED er'where