LegacyGT.com

Thinking of buying a JDM Touring Wagon GTB, need clarification

sanskimost

Hello guys, I'm looking for a fun and practical hot wagon/hatch, and the 1998 Legacy Grand Touring GTB Twin Turbo has caught my eye. In Canada, we have a 15 year import law so I can get anything up to 2005.

Can anyone clarify what the differences between the late 90's twin turbo GTBs and the single turbo early 00's? And which is a better buy for the money?

Also, I heard that the GTB models aren't very reliable, is that true, and if so, are they easy to work on and repair?

Pics of ones that I am considering:

Twin Turbo

9NixozT.png

The BL/BP gen single turbo ones are much more reliable and easier to mod but the BE/BH TT set up is quite an interesting beast. If you do settle on a TT you should consider a rev.D (2001 facelift) version as their ECU’s are tunable so you can do alot more with them

2000 Legacy B4 RSK - SOLD

2006 Legacy BP5 GT Spec B wagon - Garage Thread

2011 VW T5 van 2.0L of turbo diesel awesomeness

From all my years on this forum, I recommend you buy something that you can get parts for locally and any mechanic can repair.

If you have deep pockets, a nice garage, lots of tools and know how, then yeah the TT might be a nice hobby. Not a DD.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here