LegacyGT.com

Exhaust diagram needed

So, I'm hearing a rattling near the front of the engine when I close the door. I'm sure it makes a lot of noise when I'm driving, but it's hard to pinpoint all the rattles most of the time.

Anyways, I've located it down to a heat shield on the bottom of the engine, which I can barely poke with a stick, so that the noise is absorbed. I have yet to take off the belly pan and investigate, but it looks pretty rusty and crusty down there. I thought I'd ask for anyone's help with either a diagram of the exhaust components, or advice on how to tackle it. I'll investigate it further another day, because it's currently on jack stands, as I'm doing the rear brakes waiting for a caliper to arrive. Thanks in advance!

I did use lockwire to wrap around some of them to hold them together for a while.

I have removed those heatshields as they have rusted apart on the wagon.

Have not replaced them with anything.

I know the front and passenger side ones have been gone for many years...can't remember if the drivers side is still there.

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

https://www.subarupartwholesale.com/a/Subaru_2005_Legacy-25L-TURBO-5MT-4WD-GT-Limited-Wagon/_54102_6024364/EXHAUST-FRONT-JOINT-PIPE-05MY-06MY/B13-440-06.html

https://www.subarupartwholesale.com/a/Subaru_2005_Legacy-25L-TURBO-5MT-4WD-GT-Limited-Wagon/_54102_6024464/EXHAUST-MANIFOLD-05MY-06MY/B13-055-01.html

I recently tackled this. I ended up buying the manifolds, pipe that connects them, and an up pipe recently from Ebay. I was really after the center pipe and up pipe. The center pipe by itself is expensive and you can't order just the shields for that pipe.

The listing I bought for the STI pipes : https://www.ebay.com/itm/Subaru-STI-WRX-OEM-Exhaust-Headers-Exhaust-Manifold-Up-Pipe-EXCELLENT-CONDITION/313459258872?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

The manifolds are different. Those you can buy heat shields for. I recently purchased all 4 manifold heatshields, ran like 300$. At the time I thought the STI manifold I bought didn't include front O2 (AFM) sensor. I was wrong, it does. Anyways, here are the 4 shields I bought:

14086AA072 1 Manifold cover - right lower $55.4

14085AA081 1 Manifold cover - right upper $44.81

14090AA000 1 Manifold cover - left inner 73.11

14091AA000 1 Manifold cover - left outer 93.08

Definitely not the most cost effective method to remedy some nasty heat shields but I have a problem.

Edited by bubbagump