LegacyGT.com

Boxkita's wagon

boxkita

Car smells like burning oil, downpipe rattles in reverse, cabin smells like antifreeze. Tightened up the rear suspension 2 clicks in the right rear which seems to helped the squatting issue.

Have run another 5 gallons thru. Going to run it down to a quarter tank and then fill up. Using it for a daily driver, so the miles are climbing for the first time in years. Due for an oil change in about 2 weeks. I'll send it off to Blackstone for analysis.

Picking up a 2008 rear subframe and suspension today. Stripped the rear suspension off the wrecked sedan. Going to check for fitment. Just can't let the idea of an sti subframe swap go....

Racewagon is waiting on a couple more engine parts. Got an coated perrin uppipe in the mail a couple weeks back. Still sorting out the fueling. Some of the sensor fittings are in poor shape, so stripping the harness from the wrecked sedan to swap in.

In other news, 425 Motorsports gave me a sponsorship deal for 2019. Check out their new store in Kirkland and online. http://www.425motorsports.com .

Racewagon is waiting on a couple more engine parts. Got an coated perrin uppipe in the mail a couple weeks back. Still sorting out the fueling.

Which part(s) of the fuel system need work?

Welp - that didn't take long. Motor is leaking oil. Found oil spots on the floor and the area under the breather hose connection on passenger side is uniformly coated in oil.

The IAG AOS fittings are backing out, too, which probably matches the coolant smell.

the work came with a warranty so going to see how good it really is.

otherwise, I'll be taking apart that side of the motor and cleaning up the mess.

• 4 weeks later...

In other news, I've finally admitted to myself that I need help with my wagon. Kip has been great helping with the racewagon, however, the next steps involve hauling it to a shop to have work done that requires actual previous experience. After my experiences with Drive Auto, I've had enough of paying ppl to do work.

I enrolled at Renton Tech in their automotive technology program. I'm taking machining and welding classes, too. If I can handle it, I'll do the autobody course, too. If I can get all the classes sorted, it'll be 3 years of school/shop/internships. I'll get several degrees and certificates and most of the ASE certifications.

Renton Tech has a partnership with Subaru USA so I'll have access to Subaru training as well. I have already benefited from this relationship by borrowing Subaru diag tools to sort out the problems with the wagon. I'm looking forward to the fall quarter when I'll have access to the alignment rack. I expect the racewagon to be a permanent fixture on that.

You have to work at a shop for 3 years to be rated a Master ASE tech and 5 years to be rated a Master Subaru tech. Who knows what the future holds, but right now? This is the most fun I've had in school since they handed out fingerpaints in kindergarten.

Sorry to hear about the continued frustrations Boxkita. My wagon was a total headache for quite some time and finding help let alone good help was not easy. After a bad shop experience or two the decision to handle the build of the motor at home was made and thanks to a couple very capable friends I've had years of nearly problem free driving with the car. I'm chasing a minute oil leak right now and don't have the time or space to do the work at home anymore and trusting a shop to work on the car is not easy at all given the choices locally. Best of luck in the Renton programs, one of the friends that helped on my build is a graduate from there and one of the few people I trust to work on vehicles.

That sucks about Drive, I was really hoping they'd turn out to be a shop that could be counted on to stand behind their work.

Do you know yet where the oil is coming from?

Some of it came from the turbo oil feed line, looks like they didn't put it together correctly. It was smoking badly but they claimed the dp wrap was smoking.

The aos was not assembled correctly so it comes loose periodically. Supposedly this is a feature of the iag aos. Their fix was to add a zip tie. Still leaks coolant. My fix will likely involve the classified ads for a low mileage aos.

The o2 sensor failure was not detected because a $6500 head rebuild doesn't include running diagnostics before doing work.

The whole thing was a massive cockup. They left my car outside the whole time.

Every time I talked to the counter person, I kept expecting a vapor cloud to come out.

Their excuse for the sh1tty work is because Im not long time customer of the parent shop.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got to the section of the program where I'm learning the finer points of the tire changer and wheel balancer. Looking forward to pulling the slicks off the Enkei PF01 and mounting some new tires on them.

The custom splitter for the intercooler will be finished cutting/bending/etching this week...got the notice today. Placing the order for the rest of the pieces. Looking for an excuse to buy an air driven rivet gun, as there are ~100 rivets needed to make them all. I'm going to hold 1 splitter in reserve and run it thru the TIG welder. See the GB section if you want one.

Need to pull apart the AOS and figure out why mine is so different than everyone else's. I'm guessing too much vape juice was involved.

Put together an order to get the components to make a robust grounding system. Then spent a few hours reading the JDM Legacy magazines I got from M Sprank. Looks like every JDM custom shop made the same thing. Still searching yahoo.jp for a set. If can't find one, the components used on yachts should be more than robust enough for a car.

In other news, putting the truck and trailer up for sale. Just not enough time in my schedule use it this year. If I can find a free day, u-haul is good enough.

Sorry to hear about your issues. It’s getting to be really hard to trust shops these days not only about honesty, but also quality of work.

On a side note, if you still have issues with you AOS, I would venture to check out the o-rings on the coolant line connections. They are o-ring -AN fittings. It’s possible that the o-rings weren’t lubed when they were tightening them. Also maybe you already know l, but just in case, tighten them snug then turn 1-1 1/2 extra flat.

I know this is off-topic but I saw a thread about fender flares that really caught your attention and mine as of 5 minutes ago. Did you ever find them?

No, a lot of "I know someone has molds or someone who has a set" posts. But nothing else.

See above post about going to school. The school staff is slowly rallying around my dream so I can get into classes without the pre-req's. I'm taking Fabrication in the fall. And got permission to use the mills & lathes starting winter quarter. They are willing to let me model things in solid works and hand them off to students to create with the CNC machines. maybe it works. Maybe it doesnt.

If I can mock something up, there's alot of shops in the area who are used to doing aerospace quality work. So my requirements should be easy for them.

That said, I updated that thread with what I know at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I am new to the forum. I have a very nice 07 GT wagon. I’m wondering how to market it so that an enthusiast gets it as I am getting a new car. It needs nothing and is in excellent condition. Any ideas?

Thanks

Lynne

(503)816-4778

Vancouver wa

Hello,

I am new to the forum. I have a very nice 07 GT wagon. I’m wondering how to market it so that an enthusiast gets it as I am getting a new car. It needs nothing and is in excellent condition. Any ideas?

Thanks

Lynne

(503)816-4778

Vancouver wa

Well Lynne, I'm guessing this is your first foray on the internet, as you picked one of the least traffic'ed threads to post in.

However, an 07 gt wagon is going to be an automatic with high miles. So ppl would interested in pictures of the motor, exterior, interior including pics of seat wear. They are also interested in the maintenance completed and by whom. Likewise the modifications list. Whether you have done an oil analysis and leakdown test recently. Then there's the price.

If you are asking if I want to buy it, see above about automatic. However, if you have a well-cared silver wagon, I might be interested....