LegacyGT.com

VW Touareg Brake Swap

I'm wondering if anyone has ever done or knows anything about using front brake calipers off a VW Touareg on the legacy/ outback platform. Some of the VW Touareg (sharing the same platform as the Porsche cayane) came with brembo 6 piston Calipers. And there are alot of them in my local junkyard and I'm probably going to go grab a set or two. Ive heard that you only need to grind a tab off the Subaru knuckle to get them to bolt up.

I'm wondering if anyone knows what Calipers I would use with these calipers. It would have to be a 5x100 bolt pattern and I think a 330mm rotor but idk what Subarus came in that size.

Hopefully someone knows. Thanks

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

The stock caliper mounting points would probably make those sit too close to the center of the rotor. You'd likely need something similar to the bracket used for the rear brembo swap on top of custom size 5x100 rotors that would take some trial and error.

Anything is possible with fabrication skills and with enough money though.

The stock caliper mounting points would probably make those sit too close to the center of the rotor. You'd likely need something similar to the bracket used for the rear brembo swap on top of custom size 5x100 rotors that would take some trial and error.

Anything is possible with fabrication skills and with enough money though.

I talked with someone about it on Instagram and he said that the caliper bolts up, you just need to clearance a tab. I tried to ask him what rotor but it doesn't seem like he will respond and I'm not going to bother him if he's too busy. I'm assuming that I need the rotor from a 2004 sti, since that seems to be what the ctsv, willwood, sti brembo, and c6 conversions all call for

I'm going to grab some anyway, worse casethey don't work and a sell them for a good profit

I'll keep this thread updated if I figure something out, I just need to find a good 4 piston setup for the rear to go with it

You can buy brackets to mount C6 Corvette 6 pots from ctsvbrakeswap.com these days, what's the advantage of the Touareg brakes over those?
Yeah they are cheaper, and it's really hard to find a Z06 In the junkyard. Calipers sell for $25 at my local junkyard

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/chevrolet,2012,corvette,6.2l+v8,1501819,brake+&+wheel+hub,caliper,1704

You can find em. C6 came out in like 2005, and its chevy, there are definitely aftermarket and remanufactured calipers at this point. But you need the kit as well and probably rotors, not sure. If the vw's can bolt up with some grinding makes a lot more sense.

So far we need for the vw front:

1. vw touareg calipers - what years? any?

2. 2004 sti rotors only they are 5 x 100 all other years are 5 x 114, or rotors made with both 5x100 and 5x114, for more options.

3. Something to grind some metal. Any idea what needs to be cut off?

For the C6 front:

1. 05-13 C6 Calipers

2. Bracket kit

3. Rotors, probably, maybe, not sure.

Edited by Tehnation

The STi was introduced into the US in 2004 with 5x100 bolt pattern, then in 2005+ it shifted to 5x114. More Subaru models are 5x114 now, but I know that the USDM 2004 STi is the only STi in the US with 5x100 bolt pattern.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/chevrolet,2012,corvette,6.2l+v8,1501819,brake+&+wheel+hub,caliper,1704

You can find em. C6 came out in like 2005, and its chevy, there are definitely aftermarket and remanufactured calipers at this point. But you need the kit as well and probably rotors, not sure. If the vw's can bolt up with some grinding makes a lot more sense.

So far we need for the vw front:

1. vw touareg calipers - what years? any?

2. 2004 sti rotors only they are 5 x 100 all other years are 5 x 114, or rotors made with both 5x100 and 5x114, for more options.

3. Something to grind some metal. Any idea what needs to be cut off?

For the C6 front:

1. 05-13 C6 Calipers

2. Bracket kit

3. Rotors, probably, maybe, not sure.

2004 and earlier vw Touareg had 6 piston, 2005 and newer most came with 4 piston brembos.

I have no idea exactly what needs to be cut off, I'll try to take a look when I get the Calipers.

The cost savings is that to buy c6 Z06 Calipers online, weather new or remanufactured your looking at $350 on the cheap end verses VW Touareg that you can very easily find in your local junkyard and get the brembos at junkyard prices which for me is $25 each. I'm not saying that Z06 brakes are hard to find, they are just hard to find cheap compared to the Touareg brembos you can easily find and pay practically nothing for.

All of the brake swap kits for our cars uses the 2004 sti rotor because it seems to be the largest rotor that Subaru made with the 5 x100 bolt pattern. I'm sure that it will with the Touareg Calipers

I'm going to be running 18 when I do the swap eventually, but I will check the 17 for fitment as well.

I also read a thread were someone put these on an Evo with very little modification I link it hear so y'all can take a look

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-how-tos-installations/684563-simple-6-pot-brake-setup.html

found this info

https://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/460051-Cayenne-Touareg-Front-Brake-Installation-(low-cost-BBK)

The Basics

The Porsche Cayenne and the VW Touareg share platforms and have 4 or 6 piston Brembo front calipers. Calipers form the Cayenne come in pretty red and have a Brembo sticker on them....the Touareg calipers do not. The Touareg calipers are substantially cheaper because of this. Amazing what a coat of paint and sticker can do. Astoundingly, many VAG vehicles share the same caliper bolt pattern- the B6 being one of them.

Calipers

The calipers come in two flavors- those to fit 330mm rotors (1lE = 4 piston, 17Z = 6 piston) and those to fit 350mm rotors (no 4 piston option, 18Z = 6 piston). Be sure you select accordingly. 4 piston calipers are only for 330mm rotors, 6 piston come in both 330 and 350mm. All 6 piston calipers have staggered piston sizes, so you'll have to flip the bleeders/crossover pipe since the calipers mount on the front side of the rotor on the Cayenne/Touareg. 4 piston calipers (should) have the same size pistons, enabling mounting on either side of the vehicle.

330mm 4 piston calipers (1LE) can be sourced from:

'07+ Touareg

330mm 6 piston calipers (17Z) can be sourced from:

04-06 Touareg

04-2012 Cayenne V6

350mm 6 piston calipers (18Z) can be sourced from:

04-2012 Cayenne S, Cayenne Turbo

Touareg V10

Caveats- The caliper mounting holes are 16mm, not 14mm like the B6 knuckle. You have two options- shim the caliper mounting holes or drill the knuckle. Given that the knuckle is aluminum and I didn't feel the mounting holes would support a loss of 2mm, I shimmed the calipers. The calipers will have to be held to the knuckle via a bolt and a nut since the caliper will be mounted on the inboard side of the knuckle (vs. the outboard side for the stock carrier mount).

Rotors

While there are a variety of custom rotors available, based on my searching there are few OEM applications that will work:

330mm: W203 (2000 - 2007) Mercedes Benz C230 Sport (must be the sport version, the non-sport does not have the larger rotors). The only downside is that these rotors came cross-drilled from the factory and therefore all replacement rotors will be the same.

Part numbers- Centric: 121.35086, EBC: 725, Raybestos: 980521

Caveats- center hub diameter must be increased by 1mm, lug bolt holes must be drilled out to 14mm, rotor offset not perfect- live with it or change caliper/knuckle thickness to center caliper on rotor

Other possibilities- one of the links below indicates the Volvo S60R/V70R rotor works with a bolt pattern re-drill and doesn't require the modification to the center bore. Part numbers: C-TEK Standard Rotor 121.39035

Power Slot Slotted Brake Rotor 126.39035SL

Power Slot Slotted Brake Rotor 126.39035SR

SportStop XDrilled & Slotted Rotor 127.39035L

SportStop XDrilled & Slotted Rotor 127.39035R

SportStop XDrilled Brake Rotor 128.39035L

SportStop XDrilled Brake Rotor 128.39035R

350mm: Mercedes Benz ML55

Part numbers- no idea since I went with 330mm

Caveats- no idea since I went with 330mm

you win when it comes to c6 vs the vw, if it works! I can't argue with the bang for the buck of the vw over the c6.

I have some down time waiting for the dmv to register my car again so I may buy a vw caliper if the price is right to see whats up.

Also keep in mind that the info above that I found is for an audi! But you guys get the point.

according to the site i linked, 17s will work, just barely . If we can get bbk on 17's you really are onto something! Normally the brembo kits require larger than 17's, which i didn't want to do because I am particular about wheels, I would want to drop around 2k on wheels that fit and look the way i want with the right offset etc. So I didn't want to think of wheels just to get a bbk. Wheels are the cherry on top at this point for me, so a solution without changing my stock wheels would be awesome.

Wheel Fitment

My 330mm setup barely clears my OEM 17" Avant Sport wheels, JHM claims fitment on most 17s (I believe it). I tried my old 16" winter wheels, no chance of that.

On another note, it looks like the 6 pot vw calipers cost double if not more than c6 calipers, something to note! That core charge is monstrous, 200 dollars, good lord!

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/volkswagen,2004,touareg,3.2l+v6,1427228,brake+&+wheel+hub,caliper,1704

New prices give a good estimate to what used parts would cost. Gotta find some random junkyard who isn't aware, and bang em over the head.

If the extra cost of calipers can't offset the cost of that bracket kit then you might want to rethink. The c6 bracket from that link is sold out lol, maybe some other company makes it, anyone know what the bracket kit costs? If the kit is like 200 dollars then it might make more sense to get the cheaper c6 calipers, 30 or so dollar core charge. Anyone know if the c6's can fit 17's?

Edited by Tehnation

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/porsche,2004,cayenne,3.2l+v6,1433068,brake+&+wheel+hub,caliper,1704

cayenne calipers can be had new for 170! Back in the game!

hmm, what year c6 comes with the 6 pots? Looks like the 6 pots come with "Sport Suspension (FE3), Special Ride & Handling Suspension (FE4)" C6's. Which cost like 250+ each.

Edited by Tehnation

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/porsche,2004,cayenne,3.2l+v6,1433068,brake+&+wheel+hub,caliper,1704

cayenne calipers can be had new for 170! Back in the game!

hmm, what year c6 comes with the 6 pots? Looks like the 6 pots come with "Sport Suspension (FE3), Special Ride & Handling Suspension (FE4)" C6's. Which cost like 250+ each.

The only c6 that have 6 pistons at the Z06 unless someone optioned it out.

I just got back from the junkyard and the Touareg that was in there for not even a week brakes were already gone. So I'm going to have to keep my eye on the website and jump on it when one gets in there.

This makes me want to visit my local yards and start scavenging. Like you said, if it turns out to be a dud, sell them on ebay for profit
It seems to be a common swap for the euro community. I think I'm going to be checking the inventory at the junkyard every day until I find some and go there that day. I didn't think they would be that popular.