LegacyGT.com

Leather Seat Confusion

I'm trying to get a handle on what seats were available and came with what model during 05-09 . The end goal being upgrading my seats to the best possible version subaru had for this model year. With the exception of the spec b seats.

First question, Are the leather seats all leather or just the inserts on the center bottom and back? If some years/models are different, did some models come with full leather?

Second question, What years are direct swaps into what other years? I think I've found the answer to that already. 05/06 can swap to anything 05/06. 07 and later can swap into 07-09. This is due to the passenger airbag sensor being different.

I really would like to know what different seat there are out there. I recently purchased the front seats from a 2005 outback xt. They have perforated leather in the center, but the sides also feel like leather. Unfortunately I found out later they won't swap into my 09.

I just took a look at a 08 GT and they are also perforated leather but the sides feels softer and like vinyl. Are the sides vinyl?

I have a 2009 3.0R "Limited"....but it's a Canadian car so from what I can gather they cheaped out and put in what may be crappier seats from certain stand points. They aren't perforated leather. The sides are likely vinyl, but unsure. The passenger side is manual and no lumbar support. And the shape around the headrest is different, on these seats its straight flat. Others I see that wrap around the headrests a bit on both sides. I think there are the seats that came in the 2.5i.

So you can see why I might want to change them out. My other question, if anyone knows before I have to investigate on my own. Is the wiring harness there for the power passenger seat in my car that didn't have power passenger seat from factory, but did have power passenger seat in the USA?

I really would like to know the deal here is, as I have a 08 GT interior I am planning to buy but now I'm not sure if maybe there is a better option, being full leather, if that is an option that exist.

Edited by nevets27

2006 Outback 2.5i Limited here. Full leather seats, beige (tan). My passenger seat is manual and I have never taken it out, so I am unsure if there is a connector under the seat for a powered seat to be swapped in. Heated seats. No lumbar support (only passenger side). It's nice, simple, and clean.

Someone recently asked my if I wanted to swap to a black interior just so they could have my tan passenger seat :lol:

In my 2006 Outback 3.0R I had perforated leather seats, beige. My passenger seat was powered. They were heated seats. I cannot remember if my passenger side had lumbar support. They were nice, but I definitely like my 2.5i seats more, aesthetically-speaking.

I also enjoy having a manual passenger seat for ease of mobility. Having a second powered seat would be a luxurious flex for our cars, but again, I enjoy the ease of a manual seat.

This site should help a bunch too: http://www.cars101.com/subaru/legacy/legacy2006.html#mechanical

Edited by Febreze Mee

MILKRUN  - Click Here

In the 3.0R Limited Legacy's came the performance seats according to the sales brochures. (The 09 3.0R Outbacks did not). I don't know about the leather, the 2010+ 5th Gen only had the leather seating surfaces with vinyl sides. I am sure when Subaru started that as haven't owned a 05-09 with leather.

To add some info or confusion. These are the two seats I have in my possession currently.

2005 Outback XT seats

Perforated leather middle/center/seating surface and bottom side bolster

uc?export=view&id=1y-K4h6rhsg_NkeFAOoo1wPIZx1Y2m87A

Side bolster stitching

uc?export=view&id=1y2BaBCTrV1xqiHnkTnfo6TGxmRiQLxxm

2009 Legacy 3.0R Limited Canada

Leather middle/center/seating surface and bottom side bolster

uc?export=view&id=1xtQ8J_wtADgDnFrkrmTIgQsM_G8PZT2m

Side bolster stitching

uc?export=view&id=1y300JOOomCdZ_ej_eOCWh3dniesjK5ik

Notice the texture difference and stitching on the side bolster. On the 05 xt it looks like it would be real leather as the pattern isn't as consistent, like it is on the 09 legacy. Also on the 09 legacy the side bolster feels much softer then the center section where on the xt the center and the side feel very similar.

I have been on the cars101 site before I posted this, but I'll take a look again to see if I missed anything. Unfortunately I didn't see it go into detail. Furthermore it doesn't have any info on the differences of the Canadian model (not the I expected it to). So yes the sales brochure might have said performance seats for the USA but I don't think we go them. The 3.0R Limited Canadian version got base model 16in rims, base model smaller brakes and base model KYB shocks. And looks like 2.5i seats. Clearly were trying to be sneaky about cutting corners.

Seats in my 09 3.0R

2006_-_2009_subaru_legacy_leather_seats_new_1.jpg

GT/3.0R USA seats

attachment.php?attachmentid=188582&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1465419643

Most obvious difference from a distance is the headrest area.

2006 Outback 2.5i here. Full leather seats, beige (tan). My passenger seat is manual. Heated seats. No lumbar support (only passenger side).

In my 2006 Outback 3.0R I had perforated leather seats, beige. My passenger seat was powered. They were heated seats. They were nice, but I definitely like my 2.5i seats more, aesthetically-speaking.

I also enjoy having a manual passenger seat for ease of mobility. Having a second powered seat would be a luxurious flex for our cars, but again, I enjoy the ease of a manual seat.

So the leather seats in the outback 2.5i are not perforated, and I assume look like the picture about of my 09 legacy seats?

And yeah I'm not sure I'm making the right choice or not. It's true having a manual passenger site is nice as you can move it quick and easy when having to put stuff in and out of the car. Or wanting to push it back/forward from the drivers seat. And the seating surfaces don't have holes so maybe easier to clean and possible more durable (less likely to tear....saw a torn one, it tron between the holes)?

My reasoning started with finding a cheap set of 05 xt seats, not knowing at the time they aren't a direct swap. My drivers seat has cracks in the side bolster so I wanted to fix that, upgrade the seat possible and the passenger getting the nicer seat was kind of a bonus. Add to that my little side quest of fixing the cheaping out of Subaru Canada and getting it optioned up the way it should have been. The crack on the side bolster and the fact they are pretty soft I was hoping the other/performance seats had better bolsters and hopefully made out of leather.

But the 08 GT I went as saw yesterday did have perforated leather seats but the side bolsters felt and looked the same as my 09 legacy. So not sure it would be much of an upgrade. Though I will say my current seats get a bit sticky/hot when sitting in them and hoping the perforated might breath a bit better. I don't know...

Well I guess this is pretty good proof the bolsters of the perforated seats are vinyl.

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2144979

Too bad I wasn't more curious a couple of weeks ago when I was at a scrap yard that had a gt there with seats that were already slashed, could have done an autopsy there. But seeing as the sales brochure I just read has the same wording for the gt and xt, I get the feeling the seats are the same.

In the 2008 sales brochure they list 2 leather seat options (well 3 if you include the Alcantara)

"CL Charcoal Black Leather" and "PL Charcoal Black Perforated Leather"

With the perforated leather being in the gt and xt. No mention of the 3.0, which I thought was weird but then I realized that's because it's the Canadian 2008 brochure and the 3.0 wasn't available in Canada, in 2008.

But turns out in 2009 there was actually only one seat option? Off-Black Leather (OBL) and seeing as I have an 09 and the 3.0R was only sold in Canada in 09....maybe I do have the same seats as the USA market?

So do 2009 3.0R's in usa have perforated leather seats? Is the passenger seat powered?

2008 Brochure (Canada)

https://www.subaru.ca/content/7907/media/en-ca/download/legacy2008_brochure.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwiPq7u69dfqAhWyhXIEHaQcBMMQFjAAegQIAxAB&usg=AOvVaw2WJ-tO9jZnYGp9Cnpy-wNn

2009 brochure (USA)

http://dl.owneriq.net/a/ada99146-bff4-4f06-b33c-8d429e6c524a.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwj75-2U89fqAhVSgnIEHQBSCxIQFjABegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw2j7u1kNuGpvxbwPV_c4tDO

Seems like maybe they cheaped out in 09, compared to previous years? The perforated seats seem to have better/more convincing fake leather. Also they double stitched the seams on those seats which from what I can gather is usually done on leather.

I can't prove if this statement is true just by looking at brochures though. I need some first hand experience.

The face-lift leather seats are less supportive than the pre face-lift ones.

Different sizes of bolsters.

http://www.uklegacy.com/forums/index.php?/topic/150423-gen-4-seat-differences/&do=findComment&comment=835447

Comparing the 05 xt seats I have to my 09. That definitely feels to be true. But the 07's might be the "perfect" fit, if they have the pre face-lift bolsters but newer 07+ passenger airbag sensor...

Some more investigation. From brochures:

2009 Legacy

Colour options:

Charcoal Black (Canada)

Off-Black Leather (OBL) (USA)

USA

3.0R Limited/GT

Performance-design front seats

Leather-trimmed upholstery

Pictures of the warm ivory GT seats show perforated seats, with double stitched seams. No actual mention of perforated seats, but they re-used the same images of the black leather seats from 2008 which are shown being perforated. Seat tops are around the headrest.

2.5i Limited

Leather but not Performance-design front seats

(Leather wrapped automatic transmission shifter handle. Mine is definitely not leather.)

Canada

3.0R Limited

Leather seat inserts; leather-wrapped controls with woodgrain trim - Heated front seats; 8-way power adjustable driver’s seat with lumbar support

(Seat tops are flat)

spec.B

Perforated leather seat inserts; titanium finish trim - Heated, power adjustable, sport-type front seats - Two-position memory feature on driver’s seat

(Seat tops are around the headrest)

"sumptuous leather seating surfaces" (in 09 CAN brochure only) They don't mention on which model/package but the caption of the picture says spec.b.

So in Canada the spec b in 09 didn't even get the Alcantara seats?!

No 2.5i Limited in 09

So it looks like the 3.0R Limited got the 07/08/09 2.5i Limited seats and the spec B got the GT seats in 09, in Canada.

2008 Legacy

Colour options:

Off Black Leather (USA)

Charcoal Black Leather (CL) (CAN)

Charcoal Black Perforated Leather (PL) (Only on the GT CAN)(CAN)

USA

3.0R Limited/GT

"Perforated Leather-trimmed Seats"

2.5i Limited

Canada

GT Only

Perforated leather upholstery and controls with woodgrain trim - Heated, power adjustable, sport-type front seats (so power passenger)

2.5i Limited

Leather upholstery and controls with woodgrain trim - Heated front seats

spec.b

Alcantara

2007 Legacy

Colours:

Charcoal Gray Leather (USA)

Charcoal Black Leather (CL) (CAN)

USA

GT

2.5i Limited

No mention of "Perforated" But looks like they are from the pictures, double stitched seams

Canada

2.5i Limited

Leather upholstery and interior trim including leather-wrapped steering wheel, parking brake and *gear selector* - 8-way power adjustable driver’s seat with lumbar support

GT

Perforated leather upholstery and interior trim - Power adjustable, heated sport type front seats (so power passenger)

2006 GT

Colours:

Charcoal Gray Leather

USA

GT

"Aggressively bolstered performance-design front seats offer firm, comfortable

seating yet provide maximized support

while maneuvering. "

2005 GT

Colours:

Charcoal Leather

Charcoal Perforated Leather (available on everything but the base model 2.5i)

USA

GT Limited

Charcoal Perforated Leather-trimmed upholstery

GT

Cloth

2.5i Limited

Not Performance-design front seats

"Aggressively bolstered performance-design front seats offer firm, comfortable

seating yet provide maximized support

while maneuvering. "

Perforated leather wrapped steering wheel and shifter handle on all but base model 2.5i.

General

MOMO steering wheel in the GTs, standard in 05, optional in 06, not available 07+.

USA

Auto trans shifter handle:

06 - standard on 2.5i limited, optional on GT (wood and titanium)

07-09 - standard on 2.5i limited and 3.0R limited, optional on GT (wood only)

CAN

07-09 Only in 07 is it advertised as being leather.

I'll probably edit this and add to it a bit but didn't want to loose it so posting it for now.....I've learned a little bit now. They sure made the whole thing clear as mud.

Edited by nevets27

Wow, that could definitely be easier on the eyes. Try to put this info in a chart. I'll see what I can't do about the format too.

I'll be heading to look at two Spec B's, three LGT sedans, and three or four LGT wagons this evening. I'll take plenty of pictures and will definitely confirm as much as I can. Because now I'm super interested in the seat differences, as minute as they may seem. And this MOMO wheel "thing" keeps coming up! We need to squash this for good, so I'll see what I can't find through some of my manuals, http://www.cars101.com/subaru/legacy/legacy2006.html#mechanical , and through getting a look at the cars tonight.

MILKRUN  - Click Here

Yeah I know. Can you believe it was worse before I posted it? Of course I didn't realize how complex it was going to get when I started.. And it just got worse and worse.

But yeah definitely needs to be formatted better. Chart is not a bad idea at all. Though for some of the charts I was reading (I think 2005) it's was pretty confusing as well with all the options specific to each model yet some similarities (sport seats on gt and 2.5i limited but the gt got cloth.... But they are the same otherwise?)

Doesn't help with the differences between markets. I mean I know that's typical but still really annoying.

Thanks for the pics you've already posted and helping out getting to the bottom of this.

The biggest question that can't be answered with just online research is if the bolsters in 05-07 are indeed better/different then 08/09. At this point I won't be surprised.

As a side, if the ones you are looking at are auto's see if the shift knob is leather. Mines very obviously rubber.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the local seller that told me he wasn't in a rush to sell the seats and would hold them for me sold them without contacting me first. Pretty annoyed with that seeing as he seemed to be a nice guy. Saw his Subaru of america spec b race car and had a nice chat. Really disappointed. But I still want to know if the 07 seat have the better bolstering compared to 08. If so then I'll feel a bit better not getting these as they were 08. Then again finding a pretty much mint sedan interior around here for a reasonable price doesn't happen often.

I think I might try and put in the 05 drivers seat to test it out. I have it anyway...

Febreze Mee, did you find anything out after your outing of looking at 4th gens?