LegacyGT.com

Turbo Bolts: How to anti-seize them?

Dear Gods-Of-Subaru-Turbo-Knowledge, please reply...

2Years ago I changed my turbo (05 OBXT into a VF52) and tuned it conservatively. TGV Bank 1 sensor failed, so needed to move the turbo to reach and change sensor. Those beautiful M10 bolts were put in with regular anti seize compound (gray permatex messy stuff), and that compound seems to have cooked in there, and became a rubbery stick crap... one bolt had to be cut off -- a nice 2 days wasted.

How do I anti-seize these bolts properly??? I thought about Super Lube Synthetic Grease, as it is rated from -45F to 450F.

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions?

(Wife's suggestion is to get rid of this wagon http://legacygt.com/forums/images/smilies/spin.gif... It only has 93k miles on it, and drives perfectly... and IT IS A MANUAL... so I'm trying to keep it.)

Oh, to clarify, I'm asking about the bolts that attach the turbo to the down-pipe, as well as the bolts that hold the turbo to the up-pipe. They all had the same antiseize cooked crap in them.

Here's mine from this week. Can't tell you haw many times I've removed and installed them.

Never had a problem using Permatex anti-seize in the gray bottle.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCN7354_zps5tm6cq2s.jpg

Lat night I pull the PS pump. the bolts came right out and had the same anti seize on them from May 2012 when I put the ej257 in.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

While I never had any issues with that regular anti-seize either, it seems that the heat cycles of the turbo over the 2+ years in the same place, without removing it and cleaning + reapply, changed the consistency/performance of the regular gray permatex product.

I'll try the copper anti-seize this time -- rated to 1800F. (JF1GG29!)

Thank you all for the attention!

Definitely use PB Blaster. I've also have had good luck with a 50/50 mix of ATF and acetone. It's nearly impossible to use in a spray bottle, so I brush it on. There have also been times where nothing will do but a MAPP torch. Good luck!

Definitely use PB Blaster. I've also have had good luck with a 50/50 mix of ATF and acetone. It's nearly impossible to use in a spray bottle, so I brush it on. There have also been times where nothing will do but a MAPP torch. Good luck!

Aannnnd...

consider an alternative to PBB: Brake fluid. Disaster to paint, but nothing better on frozen bolts. Add impact device and heat as necessary.

Aannnnd...

consider an alternative to PBB: Brake fluid. Disaster to paint, but nothing better on frozen bolts. Add impact device and heat as necessary.

Interesting! I'm going to try that out in the future. Thanks for the tip!

Archived