LegacyGT.com

ebo03's 2006 Baja Turbo - IAG built motor, Dom 1.5XTR, Cobb Flex Fuel, Brembo, Recaro

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am considering selling my cobb and going open source. The only thing holding me back is I like my current 93 tune and I would need to get a new tune if I jump to an open source tuner. (As I typed this I realized I might be able to email the guy who did the original tune and get him to unlock it)

• 4 months later...

Bad news: it has been consuming substantial amounts of oil the last 6-8 months. Compression and leak down tests were performed and revealed no abnormalities so mostly likely worn rings. Cylinder 4 plug showed obvious oil burning.

Good news: started assembling fuel system parts to convert to top feeds. Will order IAG stage 1 plus block in the next month or two. IAG will go through the heads and do any necessary machining, etc. Probably going with Blouch Dom 1.5XT-R with standard inlet and 8cm hotside. Spool and low end torque are my priority while shooting for mid to upper 300s at the wheels. The only other item I need to decide on is a clutch and then it'll be off to my buddy's shop for tear down.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

How much oil?

Mines at a cup to two cups per tank... Aka functionally broken...

Also looking forward to installing the spare long block;)

Oil consumption fluctuated a lot prior to installing Grimmspeed AOS. It's probably around two quarts every 3k miles now. Prior to adding the AOS, it was more like a quart every 500.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• 6 months later...

Not much to add at the moment. I have all parts except the short block in hand. I will take advantage of IAG's once-a-year Black Friday sale and save 10% on the block (assuming they do that again this year). I've been a little preoccupied the last little bit so time to work in the garage has been limited...getting married today!

I need to button up a few things on the Legacy so it's ready to drive when the Baja is down. I expect it will be a month or more until the Baja build is complete. IAG quoted 3 weeks turn around time for the head work. Swaintech white lightning should be a similar time frame.

It will probably push the tuning into January since we are taking a honeymoon the last 10 days of the year.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
TGV Deletes! If you're gonna do a power build no need to be shy about it at the start.

Don't you worry, I've had a set of IAG TGV deletes sitting around for months now.

My most recent decision was to add a set of GSC S1 cams to the build.

Baja Turbos have the same heads and cams as single AVCS STIs. GSC S1 cams have more lift and duration than stock cams without requiring any additional machine work.

S2 and S3 require clearancing and wouldn't be very beneficial for my setup given the turbo size and power goal. Also, you wouldn't get the full benefit of S2 or S3 without porting the heads, etc.

GSC7025S1-5.jpg.d8d5d8e3f1325c6577d2f95f2c0bb591.jpg

Neat. Seen a couple of these out here in the valley.

Problem out here is this would classify as a truck and get an extra commercial use tax added because pickup truck. Just one more way to tax in cali thanks CDMV.

Looking forward to progress and reading back. I am considering this type of wheel on the OBXT if I ever can get some money burning a hole in my pocket.

Here's the detail of everything short of the GSC valvetrain:

IAG Stage 2 tuff short block

IAG timing belt guide

IAG street AOS

IAG wrist pin/cover seal kit

11mm oil pump

Killer B oil pickup

Killer B baffle

ARP head studs (stock size)

ID 1300

IAG top feed TGV deletes

IAG fuel rails

IAG fuel dampers

IAG fuel lines

Aeromotive A1000 FPR

IAG fuel pressure gauge

Blouch 1.5XTR 2.4" inlet, 8cm hotside

IAG turbo blanket

TiC FU cam bolts

GSC S1 cams

South Bend stage 3 daily clutch

Verus Engineering billet clutch fork

Verus Engineering billet clutch fork pivot

OEM single mass flywheel

PDM TSK3 snout repair

Blast plates by Vince

GetaDomTune cyl 4 coolant mod

Turbo XS downpipe w/catless race pipe (ditching the Grimmspeed catted)

Cobb APv3 on 04 STI ECU

Test mode switch

Cobb flex fuel package

iWire fuel pump hardwire kit

AEM 340 fuel pump

Good times!!! I liked my sb s3 endurance clutch. What ever happened to stage 2ish? [emoji38]
Stage 2ish was the plan until the oil consumption issues popped up. If the motor is going to come out then why not?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Heads were shipped to IAG yesterday. New clutch purchased for Baja. I will use the same that was just installed in my 5th gen...South Bend stage 3 daily.

Hopefully it will be running by the end of February.89f619367e698bb88d1ac9a6285c6aea.jpg