LegacyGT.com

LGT Owners, what car will you drive next?

Ecoboost in just about everything they have. If there were issues you'd be hearing about it.

Fit and finish in mine is as good as the wife's legacy.

Like I said, if you want room, AWD, quick and not an suv- not many choices.

My in laws Explorer as been back to the dealer 3 times for the windshield trim buzzing at hwy speeds. The gaps on the rear hatch are laughably uneven. It just does not have the feel or looks of a $32k vehicle. Ford's track record on power trains in their awd vehicles speaks for itself, and their isn't much good to say. Their is a reason Ford is not near the top of reliability, and they have earned their spot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

All American brand cars are junk. No matter how many times you polish a turd, it's still a piece of shit.

Biased much?

FWIW, the imports I've owned haven't been particularly more reliable or repair-free than the US domestics. And that includes the LGT which has never been autocrossed, tracked, or drag-raced (it's currently on its 3rd sunroof motor and second center diff).

Norm

All American brand cars are junk. No matter how many times you polish a turd, it's still a piece of shit.

I'm sure those Honda Pilot owners needing new transmissions in 1000 miles are loving Asian vechicles right now.

My in laws Explorer as been back to the dealer 3 times for the windshield trim buzzing at hwy speeds. The gaps on the rear hatch are laughably uneven. It just does not have the feel or looks of a $32k vehicle. Ford's track record on power trains in their awd vehicles speaks for itself, and their isn't much good to say. Their is a reason Ford is not near the top of reliability, and they have earned their spot.

We don't fold the mirrors in on our Legacy anymore. We've had to fight the dealer twice and get a regional rep involved both times.

Once folded in once or twice they become loose. The detent doesn't hold them firm anymore.

Funny you have a 2010, wasn't too long ago we were reading about all the trouble with the wonderful shimmie in the front end Subaru included as a gift.

Should we mention the oil consumption lawsuit?

My experience and observation with domestic car manufacturers (in particularly GM and Ford, not a big fan of Chrysler) is they are all over the place in terms reliability. Some are rock solid and last 300k miles with minimal maintenance while others are a pile of crap and are falling apart at 100k miles. Sometimes one generation is rock solid while the next generation is unreliable.

I'm sure those Honda Pilot owners needing new transmissions in 1000 miles are loving Asian vechicles right now.

Ditto for at least the early buyers of Nissan's Murano, lots of CVT failures, and the only 'repair' was replacement of the entire transmission with a new unit.

Norm

We don't fold the mirrors in on our Legacy anymore. We've had to fight the dealer twice and get a regional rep involved both times.

Once folded in once or twice they become loose. The detent doesn't hold them firm anymore.

Funny you have a 2010, wasn't too long ago we were reading about all the trouble with the wonderful shimmie in the front end Subaru included as a gift.

Should we mention the oil consumption lawsuit?

We can talk about oil consumption after we talk about the decades of transmission failures, egr issues, poor crash test ratings, crappy interior plastics, failing electronics from Ford.

Feel free to mostly ignore the recent Euro and Australian crash ratings and the resultant commentary. They're much to heavily based on the absence of various nannies, less on the vehicle's inherent qualities. Check with the US data.

Norm

I would give that new engine a few revisions before buying one, personally.

It is the revision lol..it's built off the GTR motor. I think it's a little rocket though

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

It is the revision lol..it's built off the GTR motor. I think it's a little rocket though

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

I thought this was the variable displacement engine? No?

Biased much?

FWIW, the imports I've owned haven't been particularly more reliable or repair-free than the US domestics. And that includes the LGT which has never been autocrossed, tracked, or drag-raced (it's currently on its 3rd sunroof motor and second center diff).

Norm

I've owned both and worked on just about all of them. All cars have problems with some being more notorious than others. I bought a brand new Chrysler product at age 17 in 2004 and had it for 7 years. It only left me stranded 1 time when my starter went out so if you still want to call me bias, that's fine.

I base my opinion on what I see on a daily basis. American cars are junk. Their R+D was put into the styling department and not in the reliability department. I'll use my mom's 2013 Charger as an example: It's had an alternator go out at 1200 miles, water pump/tensioner/belt replaced and just recently the driver seat heating element go bad. You might think she got a lemon but they are all notorious issues with that car. Her brand new car has been in the shop more times (under 15k miles on odometer) than my 9 year old car has seen since I've owned it (5 years 50k miles).

I use my mom's car as an example because the car is well maintained and never abused which could skew reliability. I've worked on thousands of cars over the years and I chose the Legacy for a reason. I cringe when I think about a Subaru pre-2005 in my area because 90% are rust buckets but again, I base it on experience.

I've owned both and worked on just about all of them. All cars have problems with some being more notorious than others.

(please only answer if you want to, if you'd rather pass, I totally understand)

So, what would your recommendation be for a somewhat reliable (and I mean that relatively, given the requirements) for a sporting sedan? Kind of like a newer version of the LGT, with more power. I've been thinking about lots of different cars: STI, CTS-V/Vsport, Charger SRT, Chevy SS, Q50 (or whatever the G37 replacement is - can't keep Q40/Q50/Q60/Q70 straight - stupid Infiniti...), IS-F.. Volvo seems overpriced, can't afford AMG/Porsche/M-series new, not sure about used. Lexus doesn't seem driver-oriented enough. Maybe the Kia Stinger will work?

So far, my '05 LGT has been pretty decent, have been able to do several repairs myself, etc. Would like a bit more legroom/legwidth in the front, definitely want > 300 hp, RWD or AWD. Needs decent legroom in the back for growing kids. Preferably with a good auto..

I've owned both and worked on just about all of them. All cars have problems with some being more notorious than others. I bought a brand new Chrysler product at age 17 in 2004 and had it for 7 years. It only left me stranded 1 time when my starter went out so if you still want to call me bias, that's fine.

I base my opinion on what I see on a daily basis. American cars are junk. Their R+D was put into the styling department and not in the reliability department. I'll use my mom's 2013 Charger as an example

Your family experience matches my daughter's experience (2013 Dodge Dart) . . . the common factor being Chrysler Corp.

So if your job predisposes you to see a high percentage of ChryCo vehicles, I could certainly understand why you might not consider US domestic nameplates to be generally reliable.

FWIW, nothing you've listed and nothing I've had go wrong with the Fords or the Chevy that I've owned comes close to the (manual) transmission problems on our first Maxima - it kept disassembling its input shaft bearing on about a 50,000 mile schedule. Dealership shop did the first fix, I did the next two. I now suspect that either the bellhousing or the back of the block was not drilled within spec, a far more serious deficiency from a quality standpoint than the occasional alternator that goes bad electrically (I've had more issues with Nissan and Mazda than Chevy or Ford on this item).

Norm

Edited by Norm Peterson

Your family experience matches my daughter's experience (2013 Dodge Dart) . . . the common factor being Chrysler Corp.

So if your job predisposes you to see a high percentage of ChryCo vehicles, I could certainly understand why you might not consider US domestic nameplates to be generally reliable.

FWIW, nothing you've listed and nothing I've had go wrong with the Fords or the Chevy that I've owned comes close to the (manual) transmission problems on our first Maxima - it kept disassembling its input shaft bearing on about a 50,000 mile schedule. Dealership shop did the first fix, I did the next two. I now suspect that either the bellhousing or the back of the block was not drilled within spec, a far more serious deficiency from a quality standpoint than the occasional alternator that goes bad electrically (I've had more issues with Nissan and Mazda than Chevy or Ford on this item).

Norm

From my perspective, the fact GM and Ford are having to work their way up (or try to anyway) says more than import brands dropping down the reliability ladder. For me the biggest standouts for failures on GM vehicles has been the controls, interior plastics, and electronics, the stuff you use and touch everyday: heated mirrors, windshield washers, hvac, rear window defogger, power seats...plastics. This is the type of stuff imports have generally gotten better than American made vehicles on to the point you on longer think about them.

To the same point, growing up my parents always had used cars and they continually had the same kinds of failures so it isn't a new problem for GM and Ford it's continuing one.

I just thought cruise control and power seats/locks/windows didn't work on any cars, because they never did on ours...

• 2 months later...

No longer a hypothetical question for me... As some of you know my head gaskets failed recently and I had to sell my 5th Gen. Meet the "replacement": 2018 Audi S4 with Sport Package = Variable sport suspension, variable sport rear diff, painted brake calipers (obviously the reason I went for this package! :lol:)

Only 2 pedals, but the extra horses (and SWEET puddle lights) help me deal with the flappy paddle gear shifting...

1033092857_FullSizeRender(2).thumb.jpg.fc853b67d591a2b3bc4b343f4c77927e.jpg

1965001843_FullSizeRender(1).thumb.jpg.121561687de4e3bda33a198fae35a261.jpg

FullSizeRender.thumb.jpg.209b2f74969d0cbb098acf81fd3361c2.jpg

465581964_FullSizeRender(3).thumb.jpg.f8f6ac3c13139f2a8add553b325c2257.jpg

I tend to collect cars, so it won't likely be a replacement (I'm currently up to 5 cars and about 10 early 70's motorcycles.)

I'm waiting in line with 450,000 of my best friends for my Tesla Model 3. I haven't decided if I am going to wait the additional year + for the P or D models which won't be available at launch though.