LegacyGT.com

LGT Owners, what car will you drive next?

On the S4....

http://jalopnik.com/here-s-why-the-v8-audi-s4-is-an-awful-used-car-1676466510

I'd love to flog one for a month, then give it back before it breaks.

My friend has a 05 S4. The prior owner spent nearly 15k rebuilding the motor and replacing the timing/component after the timing chain failed at 100k. Apparently, it is common failure and it is complex timing chain system. The S4 are expensive to modify and it seems like many repairs either require you to remove the nose of the car or pull the motor.

http://auditimingchainproblem.com/img/4.2engine_timing_chain_problem_steps/step03.1_4.2_diagnostic_part3_DSC_0854.JPG

My friend has a 05 S4. The prior owner spent nearly 15k rebuilding the motor and replacing the timing/component after the timing chain failed at 100k. Apparently, it is common failure and it is complex timing chain system. The S4 are expensive to modify and it seems like many repairs either require you to remove the nose of the car or pull the motor.

http://auditimingchainproblem.com/img/4.2engine_timing_chain_problem_steps/step03.1_4.2_diagnostic_part3_DSC_0854.JPG

Wow, Audi must have stock in a chain company. :lol:

While the S4's are maintenance heavy, that 4.2 is one of my favorite engines. Great power and they sound awesome. The carbon issue is popping up on a ton of the direct injection cars. I have seen several cars at 50k miles with big carbon problems. More frequent oil changes and an induction service every 15k seems to help a ton though. The only manufacturer not having trouble is, wait for it, yep Subaru. They have a cold start injector in the intake and that little bit of fuel seems to be keeping the valves carbon free. Subaru FTW

I was cross shopping the lgt with an s4 of the same era, but finding one with the timing chain guides already replaced was hard as hell. I managed to find 1 manual wagon with it done already, but that fell through.

Would you be trying to sell a car you just dropped $8k on, lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Don't hate me, but the internal combustion engine will be obsolete soon. My wife drives a Tesla Model X (75D not the awesome 90D) and the acceleration is so superior that you can out accelerate v8 sport cars without even trying. Add to that the cheaper maintenance and the better driving experience due to the low center of gravity, it is no contest.

My stock suspension Legacy GT leans a lot on traffic circles, but the Model X takes them with no noticeable lean at 50 mph (ok it does have an air suspension too).

I wish I was on the model 3 list, but if I do get another car, it'll be the Telsa SUV based on the model 3.

No hate needed Mrstacy electric is indeed the future unless some breakthrough with biofuels comes out. It's not looking good though, I would indeed also be looking for tesla vehicle if there were more support and infrastructure here on this side of country.

I am kind of on the fence with your cheaper maintenance point though, yes no fluid changes or hard parts that wear, but electric motors don't last forever, neither do batter packs so I would reserve judgement until the cost of ownership is clearer.

Electric is the future, unfortunately. But combustion motors will always be more fun, with all their shortcomings and inefficiencies like glorious noises, smells, and vibrations...

For me, a combustion engine vs electric is like a mechanical watch vs digital. A Timex will always do a better job than a Rolex, but for some reason people still lust after overly complex, inaccurate mechanical watches, which take craftsmen many hours to make, and are fragile at best. Combustion engines will probably share a similarly expensive, enthusiast following in 20yrs.

LW's spec. B / YT / IG

Got yourself a sugar daddy over there? My family would have to live in the Model S in order to afford it.

No, really probably 3 times what i can afford, but it sure would be nice. :)

I do like the Model S, even if it were a gasoline vehicle.

Electric cars have a looooong way to go before the internal combustion engine becomes obsolete. When people can travel across country on a single charge, then people can worry. I've driven a couple Tesla's and while they are very, very nice cars, they are not completely practical. It is pretty amazing how they take off like a bat out of hell given the entire bottom of the car is solid.

It all depends on how you look at range, suppose Tesla made their battery pack easily swappable and contracted with a restaraunt chain along the major interstates and instead of charging the pack you stopped in for a meal and had your battery swapped out. Figure a 30 min stop every 300 miles or so, completely reasonable and achievable. 10 stops along an east to west interstate, maybe 6 north to south, and then fill in the dots as needed with the customer base.

Maybe battery packs won't be the solution and something else will come along, some type of fuel cell. In any case burning fuel is going to be obsolete on such a massive scale at some point that is a fact. So best enjoy it while you can!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Electric cars have a looooong way to go before the internal combustion engine becomes obsolete. When people can travel across country on a single charge, then people can worry. I've driven a couple Tesla's and while they are very, very nice cars, they are not completely practical. It is pretty amazing how they take off like a bat out of hell given the entire bottom of the car is solid.

Don't look now but vw claims to have a 15 minutes charge process. Long could be 2020.

Don't look now but vw claims to have a 15 minutes charge process. Long could be 2020.

Definitely possible, the question is; is it safe? That's cramming a lot of energy somewhere in a really quick amount of time. We're talking some serious amperage here.