LegacyGT.com

Low Idle issues 2.5i

I picked up this Legacy with 2.5i 180K about 3 weeks ago and it was running fine until A couple days ago when I lost power on the highway but did not stall, turned it off and restarted and she regained power.

I got it back home via back roads but since have an issue with a really low idle,I have read a few threads but could not find a definitive "fix" for the low idle.

What I've done ...

New plugs (NGK)

Cleaned the MAF sensor with MAF CLEANER

Tried a Youtube tutorial on relearning the Idle (fail)

Maybe unrelated (or stupid) but while it was experiencing rough idle I unplugged the MAF sensor and the RPM's increased and the idle was better but it died when I plugged it back in.

Re scanners with live data, a great companion tool for any Subaru is an OBDLink MX Bluetooth dongle with the BtSsm app for Android.

For smoke testing, a paint can smoke machine (such as brand Smoked Out) is available via eBay for $65.

I'd be interested in knowing what codes it had in the past too if those are still possibly stored in the memory. I'm not sure if the code readers auto parts stores have can see stored codes, they probably can.

By the way, since you just got the car 3 weeks ago, some people have oil consumption issues with legacies. My legacy will consume anywhere between 1-2 quarts of oil between 4-5k, closer to 2 when the weather is hot or with a lot of highway driving.

With our non-turbo's I don't think there are many places for a vacuum leak. Are the two hoses on the right and left side of the airbox in the center of the engine bay connected?

Thanks for your inputs, I think I found my culprit and learned something along the way...I bought a OBDlink blue tooth scan tool and learned about fuel trim.

My throttle body was pretty dirty so I cleaned it and disconnected the battery for about 5 minutes and "relearned" my idle and now she runs better than when I bought it.

No hesitation and MUCH better shifting hopefully I can put a ton of miles on this rig now!!!

Thanks

Peter

Archived