LegacyGT.com

5EAT BR Liberty (Legacy) ATF Light flashing after FreeSSM Level 2 reset

Paul V

Hi All,

I hope someone can help me as I have connected my 2010 BR 5EAT Liberty (legacy) to FreeSSM via a vagcom cable and reset both Level 1 error codes and Level 2 non permanent memory.

After I performed the level 2 reset the ATF light started to flash fast four times then a pause and then again four times, it then repeats this continuously each time the I turn on the ignition and drive the car.

When I reconnect FreeSSM and connect to the 5eat transmission it indicates "transmission Learning mode initiated"

I performed the level 1 and level 2 resets about 4 months ago and the ATF light is still flashing 4 times and then a pause continuously after driving a long distance.

I originally performed the reset as I was getting many error codes showing P1710.

I later replaced the Turbine 2 Speed sensor by dropping the 5eat Pan, and valve body and resoldered a new Turbine 2 Speed Sensor in place.

After this I received no more error codes relating to P1710 and no more hard shifts experienced prior to replacing the sensor.

I do however still have the ATF light flashing 4 times quickly then a pause then this repeats

Any ideas how I can either complete the ATF learning or stop the ATF light flashing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

I can't help with the flashing light aside from possibly performing a clear memory 2 again to see if that helps.

My question is in regards to the replacement of turbine speed sensor 2...where did you source the part and how cumbersome was it to do? I get the slide bang 2-3 shift and am performing resets more often than I like. No codes are ever present.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Hi whitexc,

Thank you for the tip to try and reset the clear memory again, I am currently on vacation with my family when I get a chance I try another clear memory 2 in a few days.

In regard to the the turbine 2 speed sensor, I sourced the sensor from Maktrans in Poland , sensor good price and shipping was good too ($75 Australian dollars Sensor and shipping total).

Because I was not sure if it would come from Poland (eastern Europe), I sourced a second one from a guy in New Zealand $110 Aud.

I tried to find it locally in Australia but cost was high Australia.

I used the sensor from Poland in my 5eat with no problems (which was identical to the sensor from New Zealand and by the look of it also Identical to ones on Ebay from some of the US sellers

Job was quite straight forward ,

drain fluid,

drop the 5eat oil pan ,

disconnect wiring harnesses on valve body,

carefully remove the black plastic atf filter (making sure not to lose the O ring)

carefully drop the valve body then (being able to solder will help you here as you will not have to splice the harness),

removing the cap on the sensor with a small flat screwdriver,

de soldering the three terminals (making a note of where each colour goes)

Soldering connections carefully to new sensor

(my sensor was a direct colour to colour match for the connections if you wanted to splice the harness)

bolting the new sensor in place,

and re assembing in the reverse order.

Someone I know with the 2-3 shift knock and error code p1710 was quoted by Subaru Australia $4000 (Aud) to replace the Valve body as they said the sensor was not available as separate part!

If you search long enough with google P1710 turbine 2 speed sensor fault, you will find images, you tube clips that will help you.

I have seen a few us sellers selling both the sensor and a replacement filter

Search New Zealand Legacy forums and there were some japanese forums with some info and good images, to show you what you are up against

When i get a chance I will piece together all the internet links I used to help me and post it up

The Part number of the sensor is 131958

(this is the 08 + sensor, prior to 08 the turbine speed sensor 1 and 2 were combined in one package)

I hope this helps

• 3 weeks later...

Hi whitexc

Sorry for the late reply,

Here are the links that helped me greatly when doing research before I replaced the turbine 2 speed sensor (Error code 1710) on my Gen 5 Legacy 5EAT transmission.

I take no credit for the information and I thank greatly the person / organisation that provided the below information and helpful tips.

This link below is the Ist part purchased, great price well packed and shipping was quite fast .

https://maktrans.net/dattchik-vkhodnoy-ckorosti-AKPP-5EAT-05-up-31937AA071

As I was not sure how long the ist sensor would take to arrive in Australia so I ordered one from the below individual in new Zealand, which arrived very fast.

He was extremely helpful in regard to information about the sensor.

https://www.clubsub.org.nz/forum/index.php?/topic/52229-a-fix-for-p1710-and-hard-shifts-5eat-transmission/

The part manufacture is the link below:

http://www.linesoon.com/index.php?unit=products&lang=en&act=view&parent=1002&id=2318

Great information and images from the two Japanese forums below (click translate in your browser to view in English):

https://www.mobile01.com/topicdetail.php?f=336&t=5468968

https://minkara.carview.co.jp/smart/userid/631409/blog/37139904/

I hope this helps you and any others who need it.

Please note I still get a small knock from the rear of the car (rear of 5Eat and Rear Diff) below 40kms per hour and whilst decelerating to a stop.

This happens ocassionally and only when transmission is hot (been driven for more than 10 kms approx)

IF you decide to replace the sensor let us know how you go.

regards

Paul

Hi whitexc

This small knock I thought was related to the Turbine 2 Speed sensor but it is not , but I do not get the hard gear shifts and 5eat dropping out of gear and slamming back into gear anymore.

I also do not get any TCU codes (1710 and related codes etc.)

I have had no luck stoppig my ATF light flashing, it may need a trip to the dealership .

regards

Paul

Hi Paul, I'm sorry.....thought I had replied to this.

Thanks a bunch for the lengthy write up with links and all. I will be looking into this sensor swap. It's good to hear that it fixed your operational issues and that light may just need to be cleared? Best of luck with that. Hopefully they can make it happen without lightening your wallet too much.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...