LegacyGT.com

Throwdown in NYC

So you east coasters I'm looking for some input for my trip in two weeks with my whole family. I'll be staying in lower Manhattan and we've broken up the area into 4 sections so we can do things in each area a few days at a time.

Basically doing all the standard tourist stuff. Going to a Yankees game, Empire state building, museum of natural history, museum of art, top of the rock observation, Ellis Island/Statue of Liberty, 9/11 memorial, Chinatown, Timesquare. Also driving up to Cooperstown since we're a big baseball family to check that out and cross that off the bucket list. Few other things we'll be watching the Lion King musical and hopefully (crossing fingers) get tickets to Jimmy Fallon.

I'll be there the 3rd-11th so if any other local events are happening lmk.

Now that all that stuff is out of the way we need to fill in the gaps. Meaning good places to eat, good places to sit down and relax or go view. So I'm all ears to suggestions you may have. Pizza parlors, delis, steakhouses, food trucks etc....

We're pretty adventurous so open to any ideas

Take the East River Ferry from midtown all the way down to Governor's Island.

Hop on and off in Brooklyn, Financial District, etc.

Great sights and far better than any circle line or similar boat trip.

Re food. Try Saigon Market at Union Square, Tao in Midtown, Turkish Kitchen in the 30s, Ninja Sushi downtown,

Bare Burger, IndiKitch, etc.

Love the museum of natural history. Could have spent a week there. :)

We stayed in lower Manhattan too. All the way down by Wall and Water St. If you're down there they've got some cool stuff to walk around and see (and eat) at the South Street Seaport.

If you get time check out "The High Line".

http://www.fodors.com/world/north-america/usa/new-york/new-york-city/things-to-do/sights/reviews/the-high-line-459133/

Go to Dumbo in Brooklyn! Grimaldi's pizza, walk the Brooklyn bridge, quirky stores to visit. Trust me you won't regret it! ;)

Shockingly we have a Grimaldi's pizza here. So ita kinda mainstream now... we'll go off the beaten path for pizza.

I used to live in Philly so I'm all about that thin crust! I'm sure there will be a lot of joints to pop into. Of course when I traveled to Italy nothing compared to there. The cheese I think is what made it so great.

If you end up near the museum of natural history and you like Mediterranean food, go to gazala's. Easily one of my favorite restaurants in all of NYC. Lots of neat shops up that way too.

How would you describe Mediterranean food?? Dont have any places here that I can say I could reference, not sure how the fam would handle it. We're still the hearty meat&potatoes crew :lol:

Shockingly we have a Grimaldi's pizza here. So ita kinda mainstream now... we'll go off the beaten path for pizza.

I used to live in Philly so I'm all about that thin crust! I'm sure there will be a lot of joints to pop into. Of course when I traveled to Italy nothing compared to there. The cheese I think is what made it so great.

Great great pizza here:

http://m.yelp.com/biz/l-inizio-pizza-bar-long-island-city-3

http://linizio.com/phone/index.html

Philadelphia and NY natives approved.

So you east coasters I'm looking for some input for my trip in two weeks with my whole family. I'll be staying in lower Manhattan and we've broken up the area into 4 sections so we can do things in each area a few days at a time.

Basically doing all the standard tourist stuff...

This can be rewarding, but don't ONLY do the standard tourist stuff. Go check out some neighborhoods that are off the beaten path. Go eat Sushi in the West Village, or check out the Brownstones in Park Slope. Get lost in Central Park, get lunch at Tavern on the Green or brunch in an Upper East side hotel. Go to the Frick Museum after the park, then go to the bigger ones. The Frick is an old mansion right off of Central Park with a collection that is on par with exhibits at MoMA or the Met.

Definitely go to the Yanks game, Empire State Building OR Top of the Rock, Museum of Natural History, Museum of Modern Art (Met as a second choice), 9/11 Memorial, Chinatown, Times Square. Ellis Island/Statue of Liberty I would recommend against, unless this is a major point for you guys, cause it will take 5x longer than any of the other things aside from the ballgame. Take the subway. Go up to Arthur Avenue in the Bronx to an old Italian deli for lunch or tailgating antipast. Don't forget a good Jewish deli for pastrami. Do go to the famous pizza spots, but realize that they're ALL the best :lol:

Eat well, but also eat street food: halal, a pretzel and some dirty water dogs, or try Gray's Papaya for a slightly better dog and a smoothie. Take a long cab ride, maybe from Yankee stadium down to midtown, or even all the way to Battery Park, for the view alone it'll be worth the $30 or whatever. Forget a tour, ask the guy his story and you may luck out, maybe not. Cabbies usually like to talk, and usually have an interesting story to tell. Also, go see some live music, please! And at a smaller venue in Brooklyn or the Lower East Side somewhere. There's always an amazing act to catch, whatever music you're into.

The above will get you just a quick surface sample of the NYC experience, but it's a start!

LW's spec. B / YT / IG

• 2 weeks later...

if you plan on going the tourist route i recommend getting the city pass

http://www.citypass.com/new-york

We were there last summer when my kid's high school was playing at Carnegie Hall!

We were able to see all the usual sightseeing spots and were able to get to the front of the line. For example we went to the MoMA and didnt have to wait in the long ass line to check your bags. we walked right up to the bag checkin and we were off. we saw Radio City Music Hall, The Rockafeller Tour, City bus tour. Empire State, Ellis island & Lady Liberty. Took a boat tour around manhattan too. it was pricey but we were able to get 80 attractions for a suuper discount.

something to look into. also if you're into broadway i would recommend going to TKTS in Times Square and getting discount tickets for a broadway show.

i got three

5 Day Adult New York Pass + 3 Day Hop-on Hop-off Bus

The bus is also a super cheap alternative to taking a cab. Whenever I had friends come into town or had tourists ask the best way to get around, I'd tell them to get those tour bus passes. They're super useful for getting around between the hotspots in town. He'll, if I didn't live there and have a monthly metro card, that's the route I'd take.

Perfect. Yes we all bought the city passes, definitely a good value.

Just was speaking with a customer who suggested Francis Tavern. Supposedly great food. Anyone been there?

Archived