LegacyGT.com

2005 LGT EJ257 Hybrid

Looking for a little help, Looking to take my stock 05LGT and make an sti hybrid. Thinking about getting a new EJ257 short block and combining it with my original motor set up so I don't have to worry about my bottom end going, which seems to be a problem with the 05 especially when cranking up the boost. Looking for tips/tricks/suggestions/feedback...

Are you for real or a troll?

Your shortblock is identical to STI's one. In fact the whole long block (short block + heads) is (this is true only for 05-06 LGTs).

an 05-06 LGT uses an EJ255, versus an EJ257 out of an STi. http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1667168

The average 05 LGT will make it 80 to 100k miles before needing a motor rebuild and potentially a new turbo. The strengthened internals of the EJ257 make it a much better build canidate. Just wanted the particulars of taking the components I need off my 255 and making a 255/257 hybrid

BS. 05-06 LGT's EJ255 and 04-06 STI's EJ257 have identical long blocks.

But I guess you know better so go ahead for the "strengthened internals". Don't forget to carefully pick strengthened blinker fluid.

an 05-06 LGT uses an EJ255, versus an EJ257 out of an STi. http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1667168

The average 05 LGT will make it 80 to 100k miles before needing a motor rebuild and potentially a new turbo. The strengthened internals of the EJ257 make it a much better build canidate. Just wanted the particulars of taking the components I need off my 255 and making a 255/257 hybrid

You have no idea what you're talking about. Then again, you think there is something called a "canidate.":lol:

Well you are probably looking for a more straight answer versus all the bullshit posted so far so.... I would suggest to you if you are serious about a new motor either rebuild your Ej255 and replace turbo with a newer VF series turbo OR find a EJ257 in good working condition to swap into your legacy.

IIRC the EJ255 and EJ257 have identical short blocks.

The OP never mentions anything suggesting that the engine is having any problems, but he wants a STI magical short block to increase reliability. Of course they are the same things. So the non BS answer is that he should replace his working short block with an identical short block for increased reliability??

Interesting approach.

^ Very!

To the OP - it's been documented over and over that there's no difference between the EJ255 and 257 blocks. Not sure where you could possibly hope to gain any additional reliability going with a 257 block.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

• Mega Users
The average 05 LGT will make it 80 to 100k miles before needing a motor rebuild and potentially a new turbo.

So, not only is this purely speculation with no data or intelligence to back this statement you completely depart from reality by saying that the turbo is in fact a stronger, more durable item than the freaking motor? Do you work for the government by any chance?

A complete short block:

block, crank, main bearings,

rods, rod bearings, pistons, rings...

Today I will compare them for you.

Analyzing the Pistons:

EJ257: -22cc dish

EJ255: -24cc dish

Dish profile of the piston is different to accommodate the the different volumes. The STi has a dome in the center of the piston that is 1.7mm from the top of the crown. The EJ255 has a dome that is 3.3mm from the top of the crown

Combustion chambers:

EJ255: 06+ wrx heads (D25 casting): 50cc

EJ257: 04 STi (B25/V25 casting): 55.5cc

EJ255 block on D25 head: 8.55:1

EJ257 block on D25 head: 8.74:1

My set up in my GT would be the bottom. While there is not a difference in the physical block of the motor between LGT and STi, there is a difference in at least the pistons and crank, designated by varying part numbers when ordering from subaru.

EJ255 Crank Part # -A330

EJ257 Crank Part # -A260

PS noticed how many have been rebuilt here at Ocean Subaru in North Hampton NH, guessed a good life approximation would be 80k for an LGT.

Lets be honest, there's a reason everyone see's people running STi's at crazy boost levels and not so many LGTs. Once you get past the obvious that STi owners are self-admitted jerks, a price gap appears. THere's a reason a loaded LGT costs as much as a barebone STi, one is a race car and the other is meant to be a fun grocery getter.

Again, you're wrong.

Not every EJ255 is the same. 05-06 LGT's "EJ255" is EJ257 really. 07-09 LGT and 06+ WRX EJ255 is indeed different.

Ooops, I forgot you know better...

Besides, different or not, there is NO DIFFERENCE in strength or reliability :spin:

While the thread in Nasoic does point out slight differences in the piston, they are the same part number. The "7" in EJ257 is merely a suffix denoting the STi intake and head differences. While I had this same discussion with unclemat about the pistons, he points out the part number is the same. End of that story. :)

FYI, I have an 83,000 mile LGT (purchased new) and it has been running an 18g turbo at 19psi since 13,000 miles. I pound my car consistantly and it's going to make it well past 100,000K miles.

While the thread in Nasoic does point out slight differences in the piston, they are the same part number.

One more time: in the nasioc thread they are different pistons. One is from 07+ EJ255 (or 06+ WRX's EJ255). Different pistons, different compression ratio.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=23670210&postcount=16

STICKY THE F*** OUT OF THIS!!!!!!!!!!!

Note that in 2005 and 2006, the US Legacy uses the US STI shortblock. So for 2005 and 2006 the Legacy EJ255 is the same shortblock as the EJ257.

In 2007, the Legacy uses the same EJ255 shortblock used in the WRX, which has higher compression pistons.

Cheers,

Jeff Sponaugle

:spin::spin::spin::spin::spin::spin::spin::spin::spin:

Archived