LegacyGT.com

2nd Gen BRZ

Adoniram

Announcement coming in just under 7 days:

https://www.subaru.com/2022-brz

Presumably the 86 will likewise receive the same update. Rumors suggest the same 2.4L engine from the Ascent, but either detuned to make less power, or de-turbo’d to avoid cutting into Supra sales. I can imagine a $30-35k 255 HP RWD coupe being VERY popular, which is good for consumers, but maybe bad for companies that want to justify their $70k sports car as well.

Annnnd it’s NA... keeping the tradition of underpowered sports cars alive for MY22. The Miata, BRZ, 86, and more are all otherwise outstanding vehicles and super fun. They all just need another 50+ ponies. Well, at least that’s the case for high elevations. I’m at 6500 ft and if a vehicle doesn’t have forced induction, it takes 250-300 HP (depending on weight etc) to make a car begin to feel sporty.

Actually think this would be pretty fun, 228HP in a RWD with a 6 speed and under 2900lbs. Once the aftermarket catches up with a supercharger for this platform, I’m sure you could push to 300HP wirth no turbo lag and that’s some good times as well... Edited by shralp

new brz has this mandatory:

The 2022 BRZ now offers EyeSight® Driver Assist Technology with automatic Pre-Collision Braking[2] and Adaptive Cruise Control for extra peace of mind and daily driving convenience. SUBARU STARLINK® Safety and Security features an array of services that can keep you and your BRZ connected to help, like Enhanced Roadside Assistance and Automatic Collision Notification.

Looks like adding front mount turbo & fmic should be pretty easy

I like it. Looks more mature and polished. 225HP stock from that engine should be a good base, I feel that aftermarket support will be real good for BRZv2.

Interesting that on pictures the 6MT shifter has the reverse in left-left-upper corner, same as euro cars. Didn't have enough interest in original BRZ to check that. But this new one made me think for the first time what my next daily after my 05LGT Wagon will be.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

I went to the local dealer to order a '20 brz before finding out last order was June 2020. The new ones have eyesight and other safety features (not a fan). However the additional power makes it somewhat interesting again. Waiting on reviews

Eyesight is only standard on the automatic models, not available on the manual ones (which I assume would be of more interest to you).

I like everything about this new BRZ and forget the numbers, the real hero spec is the 2.4DIT mated to a 6MT

Subaru needs any and all sources of excitement these days, especially when the GR Yaris is as powerful and overall a better performer than the WRX/STi

I like everything about this new BRZ and forget the numbers, the real hero spec is the 2.4DIT mated to a 6MT

Subaru needs any and all sources of excitement these days, especially when the GR Yaris is as powerful and overall a better performer than the WRX/STi

we arent getting the GR yaris though.

we arent getting the GR yaris though.

True it was more a general analogy to the state of Subaru :( but for a 3 cyl AWD that little tank seem like a blast to drive!

My LGT just tripped 200K original engine, newer turbo I had said I was going to rebuild the EJ and keep it moving but the 2.0T 6MT Accords are coming into a nice price range. Tough choice lol

From a tuning perspective, the new BRZ has to have some upside right? that is a combo we wont ever see again (2.4DIT + 6MT) I wonder with the Ascent and some brave swaps over the past two years if COBB or others have been cooking up some tunes for that engine.

well its not getting the DIT motor, and if you look at the existing 2.0DI FA motor and its tuning, it had a notorious TQ dip in the middle of the rev range than only headers and a tune could fix. we'll see how the 2.4DI block does, but i have no doubt that someone will do the 2.4DIT swap very quickly. I'm sure Cobb will be there every step of the way. the BRZ is a popular track/autox platform. we'll see what the tuners bring out of the new motor.

I like the front of the car...looks like a Porsche on some angles.

Other than that not adding turbo is annoying.

The interior tech quality seems to be cheap too.

Since switching to Bmw (m340i owner) I will probably never look at another Subaru until maybe the next gen wrx sti if they make close to 400hp.

• 2 weeks later...
I like the front of the car...looks like a Porsche on some angles.

Other than that not adding turbo is annoying.

The interior tech quality seems to be cheap too.

Since switching to Bmw (m340i owner) I will probably never look at another Subaru until maybe the next gen wrx sti if they make close to 400hp.

We dont need 400hp but we do need to get past the interior cheap feeling :lol: I have a 2021 Ascent loaner and while the tech and mechanics are great. I def find myself commenting on the fabrics, rubberized plastics and that vanilla colored carbon fiber trim stuff across the glove box and doors lol.

Even in the 2020 STi I can clunk the head liner and I swear there is merely a thin sheet of steel on the other side :lol:

We dont need 400hp but we do need to get past the interior cheap feeling :lol: I have a 2021 Ascent loaner and while the tech and mechanics are great. I def find myself commenting on the fabrics, rubberized plastics and that vanilla colored carbon fiber trim stuff across the glove box and doors lol.

Even in the 2020 STi I can clunk the head liner and I swear there is merely a thin sheet of steel on the other side :lol:

Bump up the interior - add between $5k and $10k on the price.

453747.png