LegacyGT.com

Rear wheel arch sheet metal replacement

So, I really hope I've done my research well enough before asking the question, but I've not found anything conclusive for 4th gen Legacy's.

My new to me LGT wagon has the usual rear quarter panel rot, and it's pretty bad on the drivers side. I haven't done the rust removal and metal grinding yet, but I strongly suspect it's going to need some sheet metal replaced to do the job properly and last a while.

To that end, I have a 115v MIG welder on the way in the mail, and should be able to start work on that as soon as the snow clears.

The critial question is this: Does anyone know if the panels from a same gen/year Outback fit our Legacy bodies?

As far as I have been able to find, entire rear quarter panels are generally not available, and require dismantling most of the back end of the car/cutting out big sections and drilling out a ton of spot welds. I really hope not to have to go that far, not to mention finding a donor car is tough. Where I live (Southern Ontario...) Outbacks are by far the more popular model, to the point where I haven't been able to find one in a scrapyard within hours of travel of where I am, and buying and entire rear cut is a little out of the question.

So, I am pretty sure I can go and cut out the needed metal from any of a number of Outbacks, but I don't know what is underneath that plastic body cladding. Before I take a road trip with a grinder, can anyone here chime in with their experience?

Fabricating a panel from scratch is probably going to a lot more work that this is worth, and likely a real stretch for my skills ATM. So, patching in good metal and a driveway paint job seems like the better bet, and a much more permanent solution than massive Bondo fix. I do intend to keep this car for the long run as long as everything else checks out, so it's worth the trouble to do the body work right.

Phew. Sorry, long way to ask simple question, but I like to provide some background when asking questions.

Cheers.

That is definitely the kind of dollar amount I am hoping not to spend. I've seen half cuts in good shape, but they were $500++.

I think if there are mounting holes in and Outback fender, I can patch them up pretty easily while I am at it, since I should end up with a fair amount of spare sheet metal if I make a big enough cut on the donor car. More work, but worth it to save the money.

I'll keep looking around, and maybe check on an Outback forum to see if anyone has a better idea or a photo...

https://www.google.com/search?q=patch+panel+for+a+subaru+legacy&oq=patch+panel+for+a+subaru+legacy&aqs=chrome..69i57.17289j1j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Look at some ofthe places there.

Also I think some auto parts stores have a catalog with body panels or patch panels. Ask a auto parts store. I know about 13 years ago Advance Auto parts had a catalog that had body parts and patch panels in it, you had to ask the person for it.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

"Take a look at my build thread. Something in there where I started rolling and pulling my fenders may help"

Thanks RHitter,

You're right, and there is a photo that was exactly what I was looking for. Seems like what is under the plastic wheel arch covers on the OB is pretty chunky. Not at all what I was hoping for, which would be something a lot more like the Legacy smooth fender with just a couple of holes in it to mount up the covers. I may have to go to the scrapyard and just tear apart an OB fender to see if it will be worth doing the bondo fill and shape, or (gah!) fabricate my own stuff. We will see. At least the dogleg bit looks about the same, so that is a start. BTW - great build thread. I will certainly come back to that when I get to doing some suspension fine tuning.

"https://www.google.com/search?q=patc...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Look at some ofthe places there.

Also I think some auto parts stores have a catalog with body panels or patch panels. Ask a auto parts store. I know about 13 years ago Advance Auto parts had a catalog that had body parts and patch panels in it, you had to ask the person for it."

MC, I will do just that. Unfortunately we don't have Advance Auto here, but there are some places on the same lines. I've been through all the suppliers I could find locally, and everyone carries front fender, but no patch panels for the rear. I find that a little surprising, considering how common this particular problem it in Sooby wagons, but what do I know. Someone must have done the math and decided it was't worth it.

The search continues, it seems.

Another option, I recall when my buddies body shop was doing the body kit on the civic, he mentioned they found a mustang fender that they could cut up and make it fit.

So, think outside the box... ;)

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

speaking of thinking outside the box, (not really), have you looked at the sedan rear arch? Depends on which areas need a patch, but your sheetmetal may be closer to a sedan's in certain spots, than an OB...

Yeah..... That is a bit of a genius idea that I stupidly hadn't considered yet. There are in fact a couple of Legacy sedans in the area being parted out, so maybe somebody will let me have a look and spend a few minutes with a cutting wheel....

• 9 months later...

Nice find. May be we get those added to JmP's sticky up top. I'll PM him.

For reference, about 5 years ago a bodyshop charged me about $900 to replace the wheel arch from a donor car and paint it OBP. They had the car for a week, and it's impossible to tell that they did any work (except the rust holes are gone now)

Rust has not returned.

At those prices I may throw a set on the shelf. I plan to own this car forever so it’s only a matter of time before I need them.

"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

these panels are great. Ive been doing BMW collision repair for a while (paint and Prep not much bodywork)

For almost 10 years now they have been using adhesive and NOT welding. Less chance of holes and rust forming again, no heat as well to warp the sheet metal. So you could potentially replace these panels at home without a welder.

Yup I have used that panel adhesive before and it works great.

Rust repair is a whole different ballgame though. I live in the northeast so its bad here. Its always way worse than you think it is. Most body shops wont even touch it on an older vehicle. I learned (and am still learning) sheet metal repair from my father in law. It takes a lot of patience. That guy can knock out a fender that you would have never thought salvageable. Its pretty amazing to watch.

metal work is an art. getting to watch retired ferrari metal workers shape a 250 gto fender, priceless.

note: just because a fender can be repaired to delete rust, doesn't mean it will not come back. that rear qtr is prone to it. repair using galvanized metal like SubieSavers, then prime/paint the whole thing, front, back, inside, every little pocket. trust me, i'm going to be shaping a JDM post facelift front fender into an s402 fender in the spring. if I f$%# up, there goes $800 bucks.

Wow. Yeah, at that price, I think the replacement Subie Saver panels are the way to go. I seriously doubt I'll be able to get anything better, or for a better price at a scrapyard, not to mention that they won't be in such good shape for the money. Glad for the bump on my old thread, since I had not come across that in my searches.

In the time between my last posts, and this I've moved, changed jobs and had some surgery, so...... work on the Legacy and all my other projects has been at a standstill. I'll just be happy when Spring arrives, the salt is off the roads and I can get the GT back out.

Cheers all.

Archived