LegacyGT.com

2006 OBXT Temperature Question

I've got an odd issue going on. When driving my car, the temp needle stays at the 9-o'clock position, and doesn't go higher than that. It did show a little high once after I came out of a store, but it went back to normal within less than a mile. I've since learned that this is not really a gauge, but an idiot light with a needle (stupid design if true) When I arrive home after a drive, the electric fans will be on full speed (A/C off) showing the engine is hot and the overflow tank will have filled up to the top with fluid. The engine will draw all (or nearly all) the fluid out of the overflow tank as it cools down. If I take the cap off of the top tank (above the turbo) after the engine has cooled, you can hear the cap break a vacuum. It threw a misfire code, cylinder 2 the other day, not sure if it's related, but I wanted to give all the details. I put a new coil on that cylinder and reset the code. I tested for compression gasses in the coolant again today, and the liquid stays blue so I don't think it's a head gasket. Yesterday, I put a new Subaru thermostat in it and idled it in the garage for 30 minutes. Using my OBD-II, it would get to about 203, fans would come on low, and the temp would drop back down in under a minute. I bought this car with a broken connecting rod, so this "new" engine is a junkyard engine out of a car wrecked hard in the front. I've never overheated it according to the needle in the few hundred miles I've driven it. It has a slight miss at startup, but smooths out beautifully pretty quickly. Any ideas on what I should check next? Radiator caps (has the lower pressure with ears on the turbo tank, higher pressure (no ears) on the radiator. Water pump? Thermostat? Radiator? Head gasket? Scratching my head. Any help or questions to prompt me in the right direction are welcome. I know this isn't on the OB forum, but same EJ255 engine as the Legacy GT came with (I believe).

Tom

Quick update....I did another check for gasses in my coolant, and when I do the test on the tank over the turbo....well....the fluid turned yellow. Bummer. Looks like I'm in for putting on new head gaskets. Anyone have a good step-by-step on this job? Looks like I'll be pulling out my engine hoist and stand this week.

Tom

Sorry to hear your having HG issues.

When I pulled my engine, see my link in my sig. I disconnected the fuel lines from the shock tower, I found that easier then those QD's.

The PS and AC can be unbolted and laid to the side.

The main electrical harness is easy,

Take a look through my link, pictures start about post 26.

I also found I had to jack up rear of the car to get the tranny to go back into the clutch when that time comes.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here