LegacyGT.com

OEM Tires vs V speed Michelin pilot sport as 3+

I just ordered a 2019 3.6 from a dealer in New Jersey.

Does anyone know what tires are likely to be factory OEM ?

I now have V speed Michelin pilot sport as 3+ (225 50 18 95V ) on the legacy I’m now driving and i really like them.

I’m thinking about whether or not I’ll be pleased with whatever tires the factory provides ?

If not, is there a good way for me to sell the factory tires as nearly new after I buy the Michelin pilot sport as 3+ V speed from Costco ? I see used tires on eBay and sellmytires.com

Again, my first question is what tires will the factory provide and will I be happy with them ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I junked OEM LS2 on my '16 as they were absolutely useless in snow and as I live in NH that was a problem. Changed to Continental tru contact all weather. "Great" in winter now and car does not lean across soft sidewall in turns as with OEM.

The OEM's won't hold a candle to a good Michelin or Conti. I would love to switch as well. I just hate tossing four serviceable tires. I may go another season.

Run flats tend to ride hard. I have heard of guys dumping those asap as well. Up to you as there is a convenience factor (I'm not sure how much safety plays into it).

Assuming I get LS2s from the factory, any recommendations on how to sell them ?

Why not drive on the OE tires for a couple of months and decide for yourself?

The OE tires on our 2015 Legacy have been fully satisfactory for normal street use and light off-road use for more than 3 years/36.000 miles now., and they're still on the car. When they are no longer performing satisfactorily, I'll replace them ... but not before.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

I had runflats on my bmws from 2006-2014. They turned me off runflats. Hoping the newer runflats ride softer when I get another bmw next year. I might try the Bridgestone Driveguard runflats next on my Legacy. I remember riding in someone’s car with them and the ride wasn’t harsh.

The OEM tires suck noodles when compared to the Michelins. My OEMs had 200 miles on them when I swapped out to the Pilot Sport A/S 3+ and the difference was significant. The OEMs aren't worth much used so I stuck then in storage should I need an emergency set.

I now have V speed Michelin pilot sport as 3+ (225 50 18 95V ) on the legacy I’m now driving and i really like them.

If you have the chance, just swap out both sets and sell the old car wit a new set of tires.

Why not drive on the OE tires for a couple of months and decide for yourself?

I agree this is the best way to decide. I've had good luck with the OEM tires and through 34k miles have 4-5/32'nds left on them. I do agree that snow performance is very minimal but not unsafe and I plan to change mine out this winter. If I lived in an area with less snow I would keep them for the last 8k miles or so left on the tread. I don't get quite enough snow to justify snow tires though.

I have already purchased a new set of Yokohama Avid Ascend tires for what I think is a good price for how highly people seem to rate this tire and it's high 85,000 mile tread rating. I got a set of 4 for $400 including tax. It looks like a new iteration of the tire came out so the "old" ones seem to be selling for a good price - although after buying great new Nokian hakkapeliitta R2 snow tires for my wife's Corolla for $210 for the set of 4, even the Yokohama seemed too expensive :lol:

The GY LS2s suck. Loud. Ride rough. Worthless in snow. BUT the older I get, the cheaper I become, so I will use these for a while and just deal with it. I will also work from home very soon, so I really can't justify replacement (it'll get driven probably 100mi per month).

I also recommend the True Contact Contis, Michelin Premier A/S or Pirelli Cinturato P7s.

Do your Michelins still have good tread left? Why not just have the dealer swap wheels from your 2016 to the 2019? I'm sure this could be worked into the sale.

The OE Goodyears are garbage. Especially if you're used to the A/S 3+, which are a phenomenal product (I have them on my car).

Thank you everyone for all the helpful information and advice.

I figure I’ll have 12000 miles on the Michelins in October when my new legacy arrives. I’m now thinking the best thing to do is ask the dealer to swap the 4 tires between the two cars. The car I’m trading in will then have the new Goodyears.

My Michelin pilot sport as 3+ 225 50 18 95V has a 45k WARRANTY. At 12k miles I’ll have plenty of tread remaining.

Thanks again

Dan

Does the 2019 legacy 3.6 have different tires than the 2.5 ? The Subaru salesman thinks it does but he is not 100% certain.

The "Subaru salesman" needs to find another job; it's his/her job to know stuff like this. Base trim and Premium trim have 17-inch wheels/tires, while Limited and Touring trims (2.5 or 3.6) have 18-inch wheels/tires. There are no other differences in tire specifications.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

I should have been more clear in my question. For both the 2.5 and 3.6, are the tires that come from the factory Goodyear eagle ls2 on the 2019 model year? Yes - they are different sizes. My question is whether the OEM tires are the same brand and type? Both Goodyear eagle ls2 ?

Sorry I wasn’t clear.

Archived