LegacyGT.com

When is my turbo going to blow?

When's the turbo going?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. When's the turbo going?

• Next 10k miles - start saving that couch change!
    • Between 10-20k - hurry up and total it before this mileage
    • Who cares

161K on the stock VF46 and it was dead, replaced it with a used lower mileage VF46. Banjos are out and I change the oil at 4K miles no matter how brown it is! Minimal blow-by in the IC and I run a not stock DP. Hoping the freer flowing exhaust + the other items nets me a decent life. If the turbo dies again ill replace with a VF52

Just passed 164k on the original motor and turbo. Runs like a well oiled machine still. Change the oil every 3000 miles and add gas. Wondering what the consensus is on when the turbo is going to blow up...

This is always going to depend on how you treat the car, but on average I have seen people report failures from 190k-210k. I plan on swapping mine out with the VF52 when it hits 190K or I start noticing any shaft play. I would rather avoid blowing a turbo at some inopportune time.

Changed my VF40 for a VF52 at 212k, a little oil in intercooler side but still ran fine.

That's probably from the PCV and valve cover breathers.

Did you delete the cat in the uppipe?

It's best to just replace it with a catless one. For one you might have left over bits that could get in your turbo. But even if you are thorough, those up pipes flow less then stock catless.

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

Archived