LegacyGT.com

Lost power at Wot

Today while driving in first gear i floored it and somewhere between 6-7k rpm there was a loud pop(maybe from exhaust?idk) and I lost power going to the wheels and there was no exhaust noise either so i quickly put it in neutral. It pretty much felt and sounded like if i had pushed in the clutch at high rpms even though i didnt. I let it coast for afew seconds then put it in 2nd gear to make sure i didnt blow up the engine. So now in second gear its drove fine i just got a slight burnt smell. The rest of the way home it drove normal but i was scared i messed something up because this has never happened before. Should i go to a shop and get it checked out or does anyone have an idea what might of caused that to happen?

car info:

93k miles

Stage 2

Cobb accessport

Stock clutch

No check engine light. car ran perfectly once i put it back in gear but just had alil bit of burnt smell

I had a burnt smell for the longest time, cv grease in the downpipe. Start by figuring out where the smell might be coming from.

Are you still making full boost? Any whistling, whooshing, or howling sounds when more than 50% throttle? If so, you blew an intercooler connection off and just need to reset it.

I just went stage two and I've had two occasions so far where I've heard a loud pop at full throttle and then full power died off. Afterwards, I couldn't make full boost anymore and I could hear the whoosh coming out of the engine bay. The first time I blew the connection off at the intercooler. The second time I blew it off at the throttle body. Good luck.

Sounds like this is what happend. I didnt know this would happen i thought all cars just did the rev bounce thing

Hang on, I might be mixing myself up...Crap, sorry.

I think you're right. I'm confusing the fuel cut that occurs during overboost (the cut lasts longer) with the rev limiter, which also is a fuel cut but it makes the rev bounce like you said.

Hmm.

You're 100% sure the car is running like normal now?

Are you still making full boost? Any whistling, whooshing, or howling sounds when more than 50% throttle? If so, you blew an intercooler connection off and just need to reset it.

I just went stage two and I've had two occasions so far where I've heard a loud pop at full throttle and then full power died off. Afterwards, I couldn't make full boost anymore and I could hear the whoosh coming out of the engine bay. The first time I blew the connection off at the intercooler. The second time I blew it off at the throttle body. Good luck.

I havent drivin it hard since that day but im gonna try it out in abit and see how it sounds. I have spt intake which is pretty loud so itll be hard to hear any abnormal noises so ill just go by the psi levels

You really shouldn't be usnig that intake at all. It's pretty crappy. It has turbulence issues which upsets the MAF readings. Compound that with your COBB Stage 2 map which has a tendency to knock a little bit and well... all sorts of fail everywhere.

If you have a boost gauge, that'll tell you for sure. If you can make full boost, you probably don't have a boost leak. If you can't, check the intercooler connections first. Don't romp on it more than you have to in order to determine if there is a problem and where it might be.

By the way, a boost leak problem will drive pretty normally when less than 0 psi (i.e. half throttle or less) and won't be readily apparent until you try to make boost. Then depending on the size of your leak, you will make between 0 and full boost (~18 psi @ stage 2ish).

So i just got back from a 20min drive. I do have a boost gauge and it seems to be boosting normal at 15psi(cobb map). I did a few wot runs mostly shifting a 5k but did shift at 6k twice. Everything felt good. I thought i heard a weird noise like tire against plastic type of noise but i could just be hearing things that have always been there. im at stock height so it wasnt the tires

Archived