LegacyGT.com

MPG so far

Loving the Touring XT so far, but only 250 miles to date (about a week now). Thought I would share -- drove a round trip of 76 miles today (about 1 hr 15 mins total). Mostly highway. Ideal conditions -- mild temps, no wind, etc.

Admittedly small sample size, but approaching meaningful.

Car reported: 34 MPG

Nice surprise. I also am not going crazy on the RPMs/acceleration yet (first 1K miles). But still, that was a pleasant surprise.

P.S. Road trip of 250 miles each way in 2 weeks. That will be a good test... I didn't buy the car for the MPG, and know it will be lower than my 2015 2.5i, but am happy to get something respectable.

34 is a great number. Since car reported it the number might not be very accurate. Keep fingers crossed that "touring" is its sweet spot. My old Honda V6 would report 35 mpg on easy trips but fill-ups would show closer to 30.

I did a couple days around town last week and my Touring reported 16.8. Last fill-up calculated 20.8 with a couple remote start warm-ups in there. Now that I'm past the 1000 mile break in period and floor it once in a while I am a bit afraid what the next fill-up will show.

22.9 on last tank with mixed driving

Edited by Stuff
Added additional mpg fill-ups

Then the big deal is what the mpg is at the pump since the values the cars reports is often a hit&miss.

Yes, agreed. (My previous cars reported optimistic numbers of about +1 or +1.5 mpg. For our upcoming road trip in a couple weeks, I'll try to calculate at the pump and compare...) Or I could just trust what the car says and be bliss :)

Huh. I find it interesting that you would be getting 34 mpg with the xt model.

My 2.5 2020 is averaging 27 mpg after 500 miles (8.6L/100km after 900 kilometers). Though I am usually a driver with a moderately heavy foot, I have been driving very conservatively for break in, with 60/40 (highway/city).

Since my previous 2015 legacy was averaging 29 mpg (With spirited driving), I'm guessing I can expect somewhat better fuel economy with the 2020 :cool:

I know this won't be typical. As I mentioned, it was near ideal driving conditions, and only about 1.25 hours worth of driving. But I was a little surprised even under those conditions, so thought it was worth sharing. I sort of assumed it would top out at the rated 32 mpg highway.

FWIW, I've done the same drive 2 more times since then. One reported at 31.4 MPG and one reported at 32.1 MPG. Still fine with that, but more realistic than that first one. We'll see what the road trip next weekend yields, with gas pump validation.

My 2.5 2020 is averaging 27 mpg after 500 miles (8.6L/100km after 900 kilometers). Though I am usually a driver with a moderately heavy foot, I have been driving very conservatively for break in, with 60/40 (highway/city).

Since my previous 2015 legacy was averaging 29 mpg (With spirited driving), I'm guessing I can expect somewhat better fuel economy with the 2020 :cool:

I am surprise at those number to I do not have the XT model and have about 2800 miles on my. I did a 61 mile highway only and the best it got was 31.2 at the pump. I fueled it up did the drive and refilled it up and that was my best. Did this 2 times with the same results or real close. The highways here in Nevada are up and down and not flat which effects the mileage.

Loving the Touring XT so far, but only 250 miles to date (about a week now). Thought I would share -- drove a round trip of 76 miles today (about 1 hr 15 mins total). Mostly highway. Ideal conditions -- mild temps, no wind, etc.

Admittedly small sample size, but approaching meaningful.

Car reported: 34 MPG

Nice surprise. I also am not going crazy on the RPMs/acceleration yet (first 1K miles). But still, that was a pleasant surprise.

P.S. Road trip of 250 miles each way in 2 weeks. That will be a good test... I didn't buy the car for the MPG, and know it will be lower than my 2015 2.5i, but am happy to get something respectable.

We had our 665 mile road trip this weekend. About 75% highway, 25% city driving. Faced a fair amount of wind on the way home today, so less ideal than my earlier short trip. And higher speeds overall (also less efficient).

Car reported 28.7 average for the trip. According to gas pump calculations (I've checked 3 times now), the car report is on the generous side (higher MPG reported) between 0.75 and 1.5 MPG.

We had our 665 mile road trip this weekend. About 75% highway, 25% city driving. Faced a fair amount of wind on the way home today, so less ideal than my earlier short trip. And higher speeds overall (also less efficient).

Car reported 28.7 average for the trip. According to gas pump calculations (I've checked 3 times now), the car report is on the generous side (higher MPG reported) between 0.75 and 1.5 MPG.

This is more of what I would have expected from the XT model. I am looking at around 31 MPG on mine with most of the driving on the highway and hope as it brakes in, it will get better, but it is still not close to 35 MPG as advertised. Right now I am over 3000 miles on the car and with about 50/50 driving I get around 26 MPG.

Thanks for the information and hope yours improves in the future.

Is it possible mileage will improve a bit once it switches back to summer gas later this year? I see that rockier is in Las Vegas, though. Do you guys even get winter gas there?

Yes, We do and we are on winter fuel now.

We will be switching to summer gas here soon.

After Jan we start are upward climb to heat. We are in the 50's in day time and 30's at night right now.

One of the problems here in Las Vegas is we do not have any long stretches of road that is flat or what you would call the prefect test for gas mileage.

Even all of the highways are up and down.

One of the problems here in Las Vegas is we do not have any long stretches of road that is flat or what you would call the prefect test for gas mileage.

Even all of the highways are up and down.

I hear you on the hills. About 20 years ago I drove from Las Vegas to Salt Lake City in the summer and hit about 125mph on a long, straight (but hilly) road a little outside Vegas. I thought it was cool at the time but now realize it would have been a bad thing to break down, blow a tire, etc. in that heat and in that location.

Car at the time was a 91 BMW 325ix, though. It was a total beast and handled all the dumb stuff I did to it with no complaints.

• 3 months later...
I traded my 2012 Forester for a 2020 Legacy limited. I previously owned 2012 Impreza Sport and a 2007 Legacy Limited. None of those cars ever attained their stated highway MPG as listed on their respective stickers. I really expected the same with my new Legacy -- an overly optimistic trip computer and a disappointing actual calculation. The computer calculation is seldom if ever lower than a computed MPG (at least in my experience). So today I had my first highway run - Just over 271 miles round trip in Central Ohio over mostly flat highways. I started the trip with just over 1100 total miles on the car. That is far from "broken in". There was minimal traffic and probably about 250 of the miles were essentially pure highway. I drove 5 to 10 miles over the speed limit averaging in the neighborhood of 70 MPH on mostly interstate highways. Temperature was hovering around 60 degrees, sunny, and no wind factor - great driving conditions. At the completion of the drive, the car's computer listed the trip at 35.5. The actual MPG was 35. The car is rated 35 highway. I had actually attained the highway MPG listed on A Subaru sticker in real-world driving conditions!. This is the first time with any of my Subaru vehicles that I actually got the stated highway MPG for an entire trip of over 200 miles. I hope for many more trips like this. I totally enjoyed the ride, minimal wind noise, minimal road noise and excellent MPG. THANK YOU SUBARU!

^ how fast do you drive?

14 Legacy I beat EPA by a wide margin if I drive 55 on the highway (about 36) if I drive 72, I get 29mpg

2003 Legacy with 143K on it at 72, the car gets 28mpg it is rated 28

2010 Outback with a supposedly very thirsty 3.6L, I have yet to take it on a road trip but my combined mileage is 24 (40/60 City/HWY split)

in short keep the foot out of the throttle...

Edited by YeuEmMaiMai

2000 miles on my Touring XT. Speed and weight seem very influential on mpg (holy newsflash batman!)

Ohio to Wisconsin with 240lb treadmill (yes, it fit), 70 to 77mph, got just under 30mpg.

Return trip, just me, no treadmill, same speed, 32mpg.

• 2 weeks later...
Speaking of MPG, I just refueled my Legacy for the first time - does anyone else find that when refueling that the fuel tank moves some? I feel like every other make I ever owned it’s reallly sturdy. Is that just unique to Subaru that the tank gives a little bit when you put the nozzle in?

• 3 months later...

Did my first fuel up today with the 2.4 Turbo and got 7.7 litres per 100km or 30.5 mpg hand calculated. Car only has 700km on it. If it stays that way or gets better I'm a happy camper.

That was 95% highway with some elevation changes in Northern British Columbia.

Filled up a bit earlier as I read some stories where the cars monitor to empty still had lots left and people ran out of gas. But mine seems to be accurate.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

Both my GF and I have identical blue '20 Legacy Limited's. Mileage on both is identical when I drive in identical conditions, broken in or not. I did as high as 5.5 L/100 km (43 MPG US) on a few 400 km trips. 6L/100 km (39 MPG US) being average on those trips. Mostly hilly 2 lane roads with small towns and little room for passing requiring heavy throttle on occasions. I was pleasantly surprised considering posted hwy mileage is 35 MPG US (6.7 L/100 km). I recently did 942 km on a tankfull with 130 km of range left. I will definitely be able to crack the 1000 clics on a tankfull one day.

I suspect high ethanol content killing mileage in the states. I only use regular 87 Octane fuel.

Best one on my turbo is 7.5 litres or 31mpg and 860km with 4 ish litres to spare so far.

Colder weather is impacting it quite a bit now and the highest consumption was 9.6 litres or 24.5mpg with -11 celsius on hilly terrain.

Wow... Looking at all your 2.4t fuel consumption figures leaves me baffled.

I don't baby the throttle as much I should. However, I don't consider myself a maniac.

Is it possible that, off boost, the 2.4t has a better fuel economy than the 2.5 [emoji848]

Or are you guys driving 90kmh/55mph while I'm driving 75 mph? [emoji28]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Most roads here are either 90km/h 56mph or 100km/h 60mph speed limit so I typically drive 10 over that. But it's not flat terrain it's hilly/ mountainous.

I think I could do even better if I tried hard enough but spooling that turbo is fun too. [emoji16]

Should be interesting what it can do next summer.

WOW, here is Las Vegas I only get about 26 MPG around town and any where around 29 to 31 mpg on the highway (freeway). I have the 2020 Legacy Limited with about 12k on it now. I am starting to think plm42 is correct the turbo getting better mileage.