LegacyGT.com

Passenger airbag recall

Folks:

Like many Sub owners I am sure, my passenger airbag is under recall (Legacy 2011). The dealer has no idea when a replacement will be available--likely many months. In the meantime, I have to use the car for a vacation trip next month with 4 people in the car. I asked the dealer to rent me a car or provide a loaner and they said no.

I know this is not advisable, but under the circumstances, can someone explain how to deactivate the passenger bag without affecting the rest of the system.

Thanks

Subaru Bob

You would need to study the airbag wiring diagrams to ascertain whether or not one airbag affects all the others by unplugging something. But I would surmise removing the occupant detection switch from the seat bottom would do it. But you of course open yourself up to liability issues if there is an accident and it is discovered, by your insurer, that you removed part of the occupant restraint system.

I would forego a local dealer and talk directly with Subaru of America.

The letter I received from Subaru states: "An inflator rupture may cause metal fragments to pass through the air bag......which may result in injury or death to vehicle occupants." In light of this warning, I am not sure the insurance company would object. If they do, then the vehicle is not usable and I should be supplied with a replacement.

The letter I received from Subaru states: "An inflator rupture may cause metal fragments to pass through the air bag......which may result in injury or death to vehicle occupants." In light of this warning, I am not sure the insurance company would object. If they do, then the vehicle is not usable and I should be supplied with a replacement.
This is why I recommend talking with Subaru directly. Dealers are more concerned with not inconveniencing themselves or their paying customers over recall work.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Depending on where you are located, the risk may be pretty minimal - did you get your letter, yet? I just got mine a week or so ago being in NM. Keep in mind there is a chance the inflator has an issue - but it's not a big one (don't think there have even been any instances in a Subaru)

We got the letter for both our Legacys about a week ago and Scooby Too's goes in for the re-do tomorrow and mine goes in on Tuesday....they told us they needed about 2 hours to install the new ones. Seems reasonable :)

Did mine a couple weeks ago. They offered an Enterprise rental, but when they told me it was about an hour of work, I waited.

I received the letter on a Monday, and that Friday the car was at the dealer. So, maybe try a different dealer if possible.

Gotta like this from a dealership :).....we took Scooby Too's Legacy in for it's airbag recall and a routine oil change. When she picked it up they apologized for an error of some kind to do with the billing and then gave her the oil change for 1/2 price....who would have guessed it?? :rolleyes:

So, maybe try a different dealer if possible.

This, the first dealer I called gave me an appointment a month later, called around and got one within a week.

It's not a long job, not worth the hassle of a loaner so I just waited.

Folks: I asked the dealer for a loaner/rental to go on our vacation. They balked at that, but then 'magically' said that they could now order the parts and will try to have it installed before I leave. Ten days and counting!

Bob

Has anyone done the replacement themselves? I am a little wary of the dealership ripping my dash out.
They dont remove the dash they remove the glovebox and remove the airbag from behind through the opening.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I brought my car in to the dealer for the pass airbag work this week, and yes, they had to remove some of the center console.

I cautioned the service advisor that at a different dealer 5 years ago, when I had that steering column bushing recall, the tech did a crappy job on removing my steering wheel and I had a bunch of issues. I told him that I expect a PERFECT job on this.

He ASSURED me that his A-tech is the best and not to worry

When I pick up the car, the service advisor (kid) comes out to my car to inspect with me and sure enough, the trim has a gap by the shifter, where it wasn't installed back properly. I pushed and snapped it all back in front of him and told him I was pissed, and he needs to let the service manager know.

Then, I notice a 12-14" long deep BLUE scratch/scrape horizontally along my front right bumper! I touched it and the blue paint rubbed onto my finger! Its Fresh!

I grabbed the kid and said what the hell is this? I then noticed that all of their brand new lifts were blue...

I asked him to show me which lift my car was on and he showed me. Sure enough, the front right stanchion on the lift had it's brand new blue paint scuffed off with the paint dust/flakes freshly sitting on it. Gotcha!

He agreed and got the service manager. The guy was actually great and without a fight, offered to send out to get the front bumper resprayed at their certified Subaru shop, and they have me in a loaner 2019 Crosstrek Premium.

ALWAYS inspect your car inside and out, when having ANYONE work on it.

When mine was done the dealer broke the connection off my boost gauge, told me they wouldn’t fix it because it was aftermarket, then gave me the car back and I found they had left the line to the boost gauge line open and was causing a vacuum leak. Gota love dealers....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just had mine done the other day and now find that I cannot open the trunk with the button on the dash....key and remote work fine.

Does anyone know which fuse/circuit controls the trunk lid button that is on the dash?. It is not listed separately in the diagrams of the fuse boxes.

I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that the tech bumped the valet lockout button in the glovebox- does the same thing as you're describing, and it's right where they would have been to replace the airbag.

I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that the tech bumped the valet lockout button in the glovebox- does the same thing as you're describing, and it's right where they would have been to replace the airbag.

Bingo!! Great call....thanks.....do you prefer the dollars or the doughnuts? I'll pay up next time I see you :lol:

Yup..... I pulled lots of fuses and never found it....the same dealership did my wife's Legacy just a couple of days before and we had no problems with that one at all.

Glad I posted and got the right answer....thanks again. :)

Archived