LegacyGT.com

LGT Straight pipe/muffler delete?

estie

Hi all,

I'm new here. I have a Legacy GT 2008 Spec B. All stock however I want it to sound like a Subaru should.

I'm looking into straight piping it, but I've never done anything of the sorts before. Is it possible to do it at home, or at a mechanic friends garage on his lift?

I know I can pay to have it done, but am keen to work on it myself. But not sure how to go about it or what parts I need...

Cheers! :lol:

Hi all,

I'm new here. I have a Legacy GT 2008 Spec B. All stock however I want it to sound like a Subaru should.

I'm looking into straight piping it, but I've never done anything of the sorts before. Is it possible to do it at home, or at a mechanic friends garage on his lift?

I know I can pay to have it done, but am keen to work on it myself. But not sure how to go about it or what parts I need...

You must be an idiot. however unbolting the mufflers will give more of the "Subaru" sound. Or you could buy "deletes" from nameless to really make it loud.

A bone stock specb and you think it needs to be straight-piped? What's next...honduh tuning the intake?

You must be an idiot. however unbolting the mufflers will give more of the "Subaru" sound. Or you could buy "deletes" from nameless to really make it loud.

A bone stock specb and you think it needs to be straight-piped? What's next...honduh tuning the intake?

Like I said I'm new here - calling me an idiot is not a friendly welcome. All I am asking for is advice. This is my first project car.

Have a nice day and be nice to others :)

Like I said I'm new here - calling me an idiot is not a friendly welcome. All I am asking for is advice. This is my first project car.

Have a nice day and be nice to others :)

yer first post is "how do i strate pipe my specb so it sounds like a subie?" and I'm not friendly?

yer first mods should be all the maintenance the previous owner didn't do. your second mod should be starting a "oh damn, I blew my motor" thread. Somewhere in there, you could read the forum faq and post up a "hi im new" thread in the new member introduction section.

yer first post is "how do i strate pipe my specb so it sounds like a subie?" and I'm not friendly?

yer first mods should be all the maintenance the previous owner didn't do. your second mod should be starting a "oh damn, I blew my motor" thread. Somewhere in there, you could read the forum faq and post up a "hi im new" thread in the new member introduction section.

Yeah - unfortunately you're not friendly and I guess that's life. The car requires no maintenance, it's all up to scratch. I'm asking for tips on straight piping, not to be told I'm an idiot. Thanks for your advice re deletes etc.

Like I said have a nice day and be nice to others.

it will sound like garbage. buy quality parts, don't do hack/ricer mods.

Hmm okay, unfortunately in the country I live in, the parts are crazy expensive and getting things shipped from the states or the likes, will cost $$$ for shipping alone.

Which is why I was thinking about straight piping it instead...

Hi all,

hi, i just did a muffler delete to my 2006 Legacy GT Wagon yesterday. i wouldnt recommend it as i just wasted $300nzd on making it sound like a honda civic on crack :lol: but.... my mistake was, i didnt check how big my exhaust was before i made the procedure. my exhaust is 2.36 inches going into a Y exhaust ends at 4cm in diameter.

hi, i just did a muffler delete to my 2006 Legacy GT Wagon yesterday. i wouldnt recommend it as i just wasted $300nzd on making it sound like a honda civic on crack :lol: but.... my mistake was, i didnt check how big my exhaust was before i made the procedure. my exhaust is 2.36 inches going into a Y exhaust ends at 4cm in diameter.

Hahaha love that - I'm in NZ too, thanks for the advice. Do you think it sounded like shit because the measurements were off? Or just in general sounds like shit?

On another note - where did you get the parts? :) Thanks!!

Hahaha love that - I'm in NZ too, thanks for the advice. Do you think it sounded like shit because the measurements were off? Or just in general sounds like shit?

On another note - where did you get the parts? :) Thanks!!

nah it sounded shit because where the pipe splits into 2 exhausts, the pipe was real small, I recommend going to your local muffler shop and telling them you want to make the subaru rumble sound, they will most likely suggest a whole new system 😄 but just tell them you would like to cut off where it splits into 2 exhausts and tell them you would like 2.5 inch pipe out into a muffler on each exhaust.

I did that exact procedure except I did resonators instead of mufflers which gives me alot of drone.

20201205_124655.thumb.jpg.3b5d1cf4359f51883ee580cdcf4b8564.jpg

The prototypical Subaru sound on this car will most easily come from using something like Nameless muffler deletes, and it won't actually be crazy loud as the turbo, cat, and resonator will quiet the exhaust down a bit. There will be some drone as that's what your mufflers help out with substantially, but it's probably not going to be too loud.

I'd recommend just unbolting your mufflers and starting there. If the sound is too loud, then something like a Magnaflow setup would be good. If you want a more refined and classy rumble then a Borla is another safe bet.

Straight-piping these cars is pretty unnecessary and not great for the environment, plus you'll need a tune for that if that's not already on your list of plans.

Hmm okay, unfortunately in the country I live in, the parts are crazy expensive and getting things shipped from the states or the likes, will cost $$$ for shipping alone.

Which is why I was thinking about straight piping it instead...

you gotta pay to play. all you did was a give a reason why this car would be a bad mod platform for you.

again, if you cant do it right, dont do it. I'm not gonna import a JDM only car thats been out of production for over a decade, and then complain when my domestic market has no affordable aftermarket parts.

if you are going to straight pipe a car, do it right. thinwall stainless from the turbo back, single exhaust.

I used muffler pipe the same size as dual exhaust pipes. It was outrageously loud, all the time. Akin to running a dp only, which if you've never done it, you owe to yourself...flames

Hi all,

My JDM 2004 has a full Milltek system with sports cat on it - and it is verging on too loud for quiet suburbia... - but I love the sound...

http://www.youtu.be/vwctyptijzc