LegacyGT.com

2010 LGT Broken Lumbar

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I couldn’t find the hook that was attached to the end of the cable (which also broke). I found a bike brake line in the garage that I cut and then clamped to the end of the lumbar cable. I had to clamp right at the end of it. The quick links are 3.17mm from Lowe’s

fqBhbVn.jpg

Edited by ibr_adam09

• 3 months later...
Just wanted to pop in and say thanks!. I used an S hook I had laying around for my 2011 Outback. It was roughly the same size as the old clip. If I can get another 8 years out of it I'm good. If it breaks sooner, I'll beef it up. For free, and the 2 minutes it takes to remove and replace the seat back, I'll give it a whirl.

IMG_0054.thumb.jpg.2acd4f7e8a193005b96b563aa7ed8bd3.jpg

Edited by vr4Legacy

Mine broke the the drivers side 90deg connector (yellow arrow), not the s hook. Anyone have this happen? How do you repair that, find someone that can make a similar connector that wraps around the base of the cable corner reinforcement, then to the s hook?

1435369799_Legacylumbarclamp.thumb.jpg.d1ad2671cc4979a556e4386328984d98.jpg

• 5 months later...
Great advice! The 1/8" quick links ($3.98) did the trick on my 2014 Outback. Only the right hook had broken, but I went ahead and replaced both hooks while I was in there. The hardest part was getting that danged elastic unhooked underneath the seat. After that, total job took about 30 minutes. Thanks for taking the time to post this. I'm certain the dealership would have taken me for at least $200.00.

• 4 months later...

Well, mine broke again... this time it's the heavier gauge right-angle S-hook part... not sure how best to fix it. For now, I used a third quick-link that I had "in stock" from the last time it broke... the cable is at a sharper angle than I like through the plastic part, though. Probably will be fine as it's not too sharp by what wire rope can normally handle, though... I hope the little plastic flange holds it in place ok... In the picture, mine broke right where the arrows show (there's a silver mark there in the picture - probably from the bending operation)

I was pulling away from a light and it just went clunk and broke and I got the familiar sinking into the seat feeling - I was like f-me - I hope I didn't pull a tab off the seat frame! Thankfully, those both still look just fine.

Capture.thumb.JPG.2bfda13415ba90bb47396bd05bc79b9d.JPG

Sadly, my lower back needs the support... also, as an engineer it bugs me having something broken without trying to fix it... I was thinking maybe an angle bracket, but anything small enough is going to have insufficient mechanical strength, I imagine (the same way taking a normal S-hook and bending it as needed will result in something not workable...)

Do any of the other generations of Legacy use a similar mechanism for the lumbar support? Or other models for that matter (Impreza, WRX or Forester)? Edited by DrD123

I used a bunch of methods to try to fix this. Key chain loops, carabiners, various metal pieces. Honestly, I just used a bunch of zip ties to tie the lumbar piece with the hook. So far it has been holding very strong for about a year now. But the lumbar is fairly weak and I wish there was a modification to make it go out more.