LegacyGT.com

Spec B 6mt or Wagon 5mt?

Hey Legacy bros

I would like some advice/opinions. It's been a long time since I've been on this forum. I used to have a gorgeous white 2005 GT limited 5spd wagon that I loved but long story short the turbo gave out on me at a very wrong time and place and I ended up having to part the car out a few months later. That was about 3 years ago and every time I see a legacy anywhere I get a bit of a heartache. Anyway I've been tossing around the idea lately of getting back in an LGT as a secondary vehicle and I've been doing some digging. I was thinking of going the Spec B route this time with the 6spd transmission instead of going completely back in time to what I had before. I've seen a few cars advertised which I have not been able to check out yet due to them being a few hours drive from here but I want some opinions.

Both cars being in equal condition, would you rather go with a 5mt limited wagon (of which I have seen only one advertised) or is the 6mt Spec B a better idea? Basically everything other than the transmission I could swap or upgrade easily to make the LGT as good as the Spec B except the transmission (though it can be done as well). Back in the day I needed a wagon for hauling things around. These days I have a 2018 Rogue SL and don't need the cargo capability of the wagon anymore, so it would just be for uniqueness/rarity. I'm also not looking to build a track monster here, just a good looking comfortable cruiser that can move when I move my foot.

That said, is the drivetrain upgrade of the 6spd Spec B worth it or is the wagon a better bet? If I do end up buying a Legacy again I'll be keeping it for the long haul.

I would go for the 5mt legacy wagon, all things being equal.

I’m biased as I have one, but this is my thought process:

You can swap a 6mt into a legacy wagon, but you can’t make a spec b into a wagon.

That's my thought process too.. a 6spd wagon would be pretty killer. There's no real advantage to these 2008 spec Bs (over the earlier models) I'm missing is there? There's the Bilsteins, 6spd, Alcantara seats, nav unit sometimes, spec b wheels... is there anything else I'm missing? Anything that makes the engine tougher/more reliable? The upgraded fascia is nice too but I had a jdm spec B front on my wagon anyway. I guess with the sedan you don't get the noisey drone with a louder exhaust from the hatch area

That's my thought process too.. a 6spd wagon would be pretty killer. There's no real advantage to these 2008 spec Bs (over the earlier models) I'm missing is there? There's the Bilsteins, 6spd, Alcantara seats, nav unit sometimes, spec b wheels... is there anything else I'm missing? Anything that makes the engine tougher/more reliable? The upgraded fascia is nice too but I had a jdm spec B front on my wagon anyway. I guess with the sedan you don't get the noisey drone with a louder exhaust from the hatch area

Honestly the engine in 05-06 is easier in some ways to work on. It's actually a 257 same as the STi, without the secondary air pump that was added in 07-09. You can add most of that other stuff to a wagon, a few on here have. You don't have to have wagon drone from exhaust, you have to do more than a sedan owner would, but many don't have drone at all (I'm one of them).

If the 07-09 engine is more reliable, I haven't read about it; maybe someone can educate me as well :-D

With the right setup, you can get these to run for a good long time.

I ask myself this same question all the time, having both cars. Which one do I keep ? How long will they last?

The wagon is my DD, I use it for skiing in VT every winter weekend, mainly to bring items up to the ski house early season and return them home after the season.

The Spec is our Saturday evening car during the summer time and spare car for me when the wagon is down.

I will say the Spec is a great comfortable ride. The wagon is harsh with the Koni yellows set just off firm. The wagon handles much better, but the Spec pulls off the corners better.

The Spec is easier to buy exhaust for, the wagon is in need of a custom exhaust before winter. The stock muffler flanges are almost rusted away.

If you have the hauler and don't need the wagons space, the Spec with sway bars would be the way to go.

With the air pump the Spec is a little harder to change plugs on... with the banjo filters vertical in the Spec, IMO they self clean. Mine are still in the Spec, both removed from the wagon.

As I've said before, these cars work well when driven for long drives. Both cars have all original sensors less the wagons O2's.

Wagon has 277,700 Spec has 89,000 miles.

Someday the wagon will be up for sale, I'll keep the Spec. I can borrow the GF's 18' Outback if I need room.

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

doesn't it come down to if your a wagon or sedan person? I have another car which is an suv, so i wouldn't want a wagon... this seems like an extremely personal question... it's like asking which condoms you prefer ... :)

I am a wagon guy. I love all wagons.

On top of this, I think this generation of legacy wagon is one of the best looking vehicles that Subaru has ever produced.

I also feel it is one of the best looking wagons ever to see the US market. I do like some of the Audi Wagons, and there are several Japanese wagons that I love (Nissan Stagea <3).

I am a wagon guy. I love all wagons.

On top of this, I think this generation of legacy wagon is one of the best looking vehicles that Subaru has ever produced.

I also feel it is one of the best looking wagons ever to see the US market. I do like some of the Audi Wagons, and there are several Japanese wagons that I love (Nissan Stagea <3).

Funny you mention Audi wagons. Back before I purchased my LGT wagon I test-drove a used 2012 Audi A4 Avant at a dealership that was selling somewhere in the mid 20s because I thought it looked great. I didn't end up buying it because it drove like my 2003 Camry and the interior was pretty boring despite everything the sales guy was telling me. I drove the LGT a week later and bought it on the spot from a private seller for $8700. It had 150k kms. Unforunately Subaru has decided to make all their newer generation Legacies fat and boring so I'm happy to go back to the 4th generation and spend some extra cash on maintenance if I need to.

There's a high mileage 220k kms silver 05 LGT limited 5spd I'm going to check out on Saturday that the guy only wants $5900 for (these prices are all in CAD). Supposedly there's no rust on the car and it's in very good condition. If everything checks out and I can get it for $5k maybe I'll bite. Makes me a bit nervous that my car died at 223k kms but oh well. If that car doesn't turn out there is a 212k kms 07 spec B a few hours away that the guy wants $7500 for or a very low mileage (110k kms / 69k miles) fully stock 09 Spec B the guy wants 14k for (way too much in my opinion). At the low prices of the first 2 I figure it would be worth it to just buy and enjoy as is and if the engine ever does finally give out, I'll use it as an opportunity to upgrade to an STI engine or get some piece of mind from a quality rebuild. I think wagon vs spec b for me will just end up depending on where the best deal is.

I'll update if I pick one up

Wagon all day, coming from a sedan owner. I didn’t see the appeal when originally purchasing the car but I regret not finding a nice wagon. As others have said, you can always swap it down the road. Having driven other people’s Spec B’s before, I also think the suspension and interior is over rated. The best appeal to them is the 6speed.

But of course both cars you look at won’t be the same exact condition on top of the manufactured differences. You mention 220k kms on that wagon. I’d get it compression and leak down tested first before purchasing as well as getting it inspected at a shop that works with Subarus. Not sure how many shops are in your area but it may be worth paying the current owner to drive it an hour or so to the shop and getting it inspected on your expense. I give this same advice to everyone trying to buy a used Subaru.

Hey, its good to see you back on the forums (if you remember I met you in mississauga one day for the jdm mirror switch)

If your in the GTA again, there are a few 5mt legacy wagons around for sale. I know of one that was well taken care of and it even has a set of brembos on it, for some reason he just can't sell it (he lives far away from toronto) but I think it's up for about $2500 the only reason I can think of is it's higher km's being lik 320,000 or something like that.

I hope you find success in your search!

08 Spec B, insta: @08_spec_b, 10 SH Forester insta: @shfozzy

I would go for the 5mt legacy wagon, all things being equal.

I’m biased as I have one, but this is my thought process:

You can swap a 6mt into a legacy wagon, but you can’t make a spec b into a wagon.

Correct answer on all accounts. Transmissions and suspensions can be swapped to your heart's desires. You can't add the wagon space to the sedan. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

god damn wagon people..... like roaches ....

There is a reason you see little turn over in 4th gen manual wagon owners. Sedans change hand quite frequently. The wagon is a superior vessel of space and practicality (plus it looks better). I love my 6mt wagon. It has a better than spec interior, well sorted suspension, and 400whp on tap. It’s great all around (wasn’t exactly cheap to build but you gotta pay to play).

You said you'll be keeping it for the long haul... Get the wagon, and if the 5MT dies swap it. It's true that the 6mt can handle more power, and you may get better ratios in the 6mt, but I have one of each, and I prefer the 5mt as far as shifting. It doesn't feel as heavy duty, but it also doesn't feel as much like a tractor. If you don't need the transmission to handle more than 400+ ft/lbs, then the biggest advantage of the 6mt is unnecessary. And of course hot wagons are always cooler than midsized sedans.

Get the wagon if you can, as many said already you can swap engine/tranny/suspension bits into a wagon with ease. I got mine swapped to STI 6MT just last year, at 200K Miles, car being 13 years old at the time. Wouldn't trade for a sedan ever.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

Ok so I went and checked out an 05 5spd Ltd wagon with 205kms. Great condition body, no rust whatsoever I could see, car pulled strong, didn't seem to have any issues I could find except for a very cracked windshield (common here), body panels looked good except the owner only had it for 3 months and is looking to get rid of it. Now here's what gets me: it has a downpipe and seemingly no other upgrades including no tune. I don't think that's too much of an issue. The interior was the black leather interior of a gt limited but there was no sunroof and the driver's seat was manual not powered. Did they make a variant like that in 2005? I was 100% certain all leather models had a sunroof and powered seats. The last thing was that I was thinking I could maybe hear a clicking coming from the engine at idle. Not the rattle can turbo about to die sound but I thought there was maybe a subtle clicking. Might have been in my head though. Everything felt ok driving. What is really making me consider this car is the price is good $5500cad, comes with an uninstalled invidia q300 and the body was clean clean clean no rust not even on the fender quarters. At that price I can customize everything the way I want except for lack of sunroof. Thoughts?