LegacyGT.com

Sourcing vf 52 is this a bad idea ..

Been looking for a vf52 and I plain don't want to spend 1k if I don't have to.

Are the rebuild kits any good any recommendation on where to purchase and is that really viable without a machine to Ballance .

And is this linked below junk ? See they have sold hundreds but that doesn't mean anything.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SUBARU-IHI-RHF55-VF52-WRX-LEGACY-14411AA800-NIB-Genuine-IHI-Turbo-charger-/282818409266?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m2548.l6249&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Can’t speak to rebuild kits or EBay turbos but both would sketch me out unless I really knew what I was doing and knew the parts were legit spec. +1 for JMP, you should ping him to see what he has in stock. I was able to get a core exchange on my 16G as he needs used IHI units to rebuild. That’s helps on the price as well.

Can’t speak to rebuild kits or EBay turbos but both would sketch me out unless I really knew what I was doing and knew the parts were legit spec. +1 for JMP, you should ping him to see what he has in stock. I was able to get a core exchange on my 16G as he needs used IHI units to rebuild. That’s helps on the price as well.
I did send him a message, but I have not heard back yet but its only been a day and it's a holiday.

I did send him a message, but I have not heard back yet but its only been a day and it's a holiday.

jmp has been working 7 days/week since pandemic started. Response times have been weeks at times.

Buying a used turbo is like a buying a used bullet. Maybe it'll work again, maybe it won't. But it's likely you won't find out there's a problem until you're several thousand dollars farther along. ymmv.

it's your money.

If you buy a used turbo, assume it needs a rebuild and price accordingly. Rebalance can be done by hand, because machine rebalancing is stupid expensive. No manufacturer uses hand balancing tho.

Jmp has access to an amazing number of people and shops, which he leverages heavily in his rebuilds. He runs what he builds. I'm sure other shops rebuild turbos. Ppl often have jmp rebuild those. ymmv.

/not a paid spokesperson. I paid full price for my hta68 refurbishment.

Edited by boxkita

jmp has been working 7 days/week since pandemic started. Response times have been weeks at times.

Buying a used turbo is like a buying a used bullet. Maybe it'll work again, maybe it won't. But it's likely you won't find out there's a problem until you're several thousand dollars farther along. ymmv.

it's your money.

If you buy a used turbo, assume it needs a rebuild and price accordingly. Rebalance can be done by hand, because machine rebalancing is stupid expensive. No manufacturer uses hand balancing tho.

This.

Ya anyone I found online has like 4 to 6 months lead time minus the already rebuilt ones on ebay.

Guess I'm just going to go with a new factory vf52 wouldn't mind having .y vf40 rebuild and built a bit but I can't wait 6 months, from everything I read I don't think the vf52 will feel laggy compared to stock

http://bnrsupercars.com

Lots of guys running his turbos over the years, I'd put him in the trusted vendor category for sure. Looks like the 16G is his smallest offering at $835, (no core required). Only marginally bigger than the VF-52 this would not be too big for stock fueling and would allow you headroom for more power if you swap in that piece of the puzzle down the road.

I'm waiting to hear back from Jmp on a rebuild/upgrade. Does anyone know if a pretty beat down vf52 can be rebuilt by him? There is one available pretty close to me but I'd hate to buy and it not be suitable for him to work on.

Seller states the rotating assembly is shot but the housing should be good enough for a rebuild.

I was shopping for a VF52 and my parts supplier in Detroit told me:

"I would never pay $1300 for an OEM turbo."

And then he recommended Hill Country Forced Induction.

It took a while to arrive, but thats mostly due to covid. Ive installed it, but havent been able to really test it out yet as I'm chasing air leak issues, so I have to avoid boost for now.

But it feels super solid and looks awesome. I'd recommend those guys any day.

$$$

20210713_190447.thumb.jpg.b1ab088ebb5db9823f0c0bbf2c3f150c.jpg

I was shopping for a VF52 and my parts supplier in Detroit told me:

"I would never pay $1300 for an OEM turbo."

And then he recommended Hill Country Forced Induction.

It took a while to arrive, but thats mostly due to covid. Ive installed it, but havent been able to really test it out yet as I'm chasing air leak issues, so I have to avoid boost for now.

But it feels super solid and looks awesome. I'd recommend those guys any day.

$$$

Let me know what you think when you get it running I actually saw them in my googling

• 2 weeks later...
Let me know what you think when you get it running I actually saw them in my googling

Will do. Finally got my lean condition sorted out and will let you know soon how the HCFI rebuilt turbo works.

Peace,

$$$