LegacyGT.com

Difference between CVT and 5MT starter?

I recently decided to replace my starter because the common grinding noise is getting worse even during warmer days.

When I was watching some videos of 3.6R 6th gens, I was impressed by how fast the starter cranked on them. Sounded much better, quieter, and stronger than the 5th gens. I don't know maybe I am exaggerating a bit here.

I cannot find the actual kW ratings for the OEM starters themselves. Is there a difference between the CVT and 5MT starter? Many of the websites say they are not cross compatible.

Should I buy the newer CVT starter or should I just buy a reman ACDelco (larger kw) unit?

I would avoid Reman parts. I'm not sure if the CVT starter is compatible, but I would buy it new.

Thanks for the feedback. My next question would have been what type of reman manufacture do you guys recommend. :lol:

I looked at the price difference and I would go for a new OEM one as well.

Reman: ~120 + Core = $180

OEM: ~220

It's worth it to chip in more and not worry about being stranded with a bad starter.

I wouldn't hesitate to get a re manufactured starter. They are simple devices to rebuild.

I guess the question is do you have more time or money?

Why no rebuilt starters for you Alex?

Why no rebuilt starters for you Alex?

I've seen a lot of people have issues with them, especially on other Car/Truck forums that I am apart of. I think it's worth paying a tad bit more for a new part, but to each his own.

I've had a thread bookmarked for years with the intent of eventually getting around to it, considering mine makes angry noises (due to the Bendix gear not disengaging from the flywheel) every once in a while when it's cold out.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/diy-starter-repair-remove-disassemble-grease-reinstall-w-pics-218329.html