LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your Outback today? V3

Vegas ain't THAT far. I mean it's probably not two hours worth of savings though lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

True. It's not that far. Don't know if they have a lot of Subies there though. I need to check..

On another note, just noticed the up pipe heat shield welds are broken and the thing rattles like crazy. And I don't feel like removing the up pipe at this time. So I'll mcgiver the thing by 'welding' it with some 'ExtremeHeat' J-B weld. We shall see how long it'll last! :spin:

This weekend I didn't do shit to my OB (despite a long list of things to do to it), but last weekend I installed a KYB "Strut-Plus" shock/strut/spring/hat combos on all four corners. They were exact matches to the stock pieces. Went in real smooth. A joy to install.

rides pretty firm, but I only have a few miles on it around the block.

wow, the rear is low now.

Lol yea it's not staying like that though. Height adjustment was stuck so was trying to get it on the car for some leverage. It would be even lower had I not pulled out about 1.5" of preload.

What a pain in the ass. The lower mount was frozen on one corner and by my measurements would have been five inches below legacy height. Even went as far as bringing it to work, clamping it in a bench vise and using a 3' pipe wrench we have.

Awfulwaffle had some konis laying around though.a2825b9c5256f05b12fd5b2be1571739.jpg

pics of said BBS?

Noticed the dreaded smell of burnt CV axle grease.. CV boot was fine but a bit loose. Added fresh grease and tightened clamp. Next time, I'll time myself removing an axle. I think I can do it in 10 minutes! :cool:

pics of said BBS?

Noticed the dreaded smell of burnt CV axle grease.. CV boot was fine but a bit loose. Added fresh grease and tightened clamp. Next time, I'll time myself removing an axle. I think I can do it in 10 minutes! :cool:

I'll time myself for my first attempt later today lol. Outer driver boot ripped but I've been waiting to replace that aftermarket axle with a lower mileage oem.

All are really great shape. Bridgestone re980as tires with less than 10k on them. ae49f8fdcf90bf3efdc5559d203a1696.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Lucky you!

I'll time myself for my first attempt later today lol. Outer driver boot ripped but I've been waiting to replace that aftermarket axle with a lower mileage oem.

I don't even know how many times I've done it now. I know you know what to do but, just in case: jack up car and remove tire (5x19mm bolts); ask girlfriend to press hard on brakes while removing 32mm axle nut; remove 2x12mm bolts (abs and brake brackets); remove 1x10mm bolt (abs sensor); remove 2x19mm bolts (shock body); remove outer axle end from hub; go under car and pry axle out from trans. Done!

Upon re installation, don't forget to use antiseize on all bolts. That's why I can do it quick too!

Forgot to mention that I always use these small Dewalt impact wrench to remove/replace nuts. Sooo much faster.

Funny that I can do this work so quick. But back in 2018, it took me a whole day :mad: to swap a front hub (last month, took me ~90 minutes). Just because a freaking brake caliper bolt snapped. Never removed it since I owned the car. So, it did not have antiseize on it. Man, it was a pain!

It's appreciated. I actually haven't done an axle yet and I didn't have the abs sensor on my list. Guess the length just isn't enough on it.

I bought the big harbor freight impact before doing the suspension and man it made a huge difference. Luckily all those bolts except the axle nut have been touched since getting the car so I'm hoping it'll take less than an hour.

Yeah. If you've removed these bolts before, then it should be an easy job. Another tip is to go under the car when you actually pull the axle from the trans. Why? So that you are making sure the axle does not damage the axle seal on the trans. I've always been careful and never had to change these seals. Same thing when you put it back in, be careful with the seal. Once the axle is in the trans, it will probably require a nice push to get locked in place. This won't hurt the seal.

Honestly one of the easier things I've done on the car. Axle nut came off easy with the torque wrench. 45 minutes to have it in and then I decided to stop fighting the sway bar. 1:20 to the point of having everything torque but the axle nut. Waiting for my partner to finish working and get out here in a few minutes.

I'm not sure if it's because I only had one wheel up or because I'm lowered, but the sway bar was pulling up on the control arm. When I disconnected it the knuckle dropped another inch or so and I could move things around a lot easier. Was just trying to avoid putting it on ramps to retorque the end link

Did an oil change and since it’s been so long I couldn’t remember the exact capacity with the KillerB oil pan and accidentally overfilled it requiring me to drain a little bit. That was super easy to do with a Fumoto valve.

I also installed Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro fog lights in SAE yellow.

G5fXaTl.jpg

Edited by WRX USA

• 3 weeks later...

Well decided not to forgo the hunt of a 3.0r and instead went back to old-school. Drove to Portland and brought back this red lady.

Matches my driveway perfectly ;)

Nothing crazy on it. Hard to believe the body has 360k on it. Has a OEM+ built ej257 block to be installed. So the engine bay is bare bones currently.

I need heads for it and all supporting accessories. Probably go vf47 and 205heads. 28a09f565ec5e5e925dea5442234b80b.jpgb0b1e7421ea15b41b0f60bb196d99083.jpgb5f2e9d97419f5da735acaaf839daf15.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

I'm not sure if it's because I only had one wheel up or because I'm lowered, but the sway bar was pulling up on the control arm. When I disconnected it the knuckle dropped another inch or so and I could move things around a lot easier. Was just trying to avoid putting it on ramps to retorque the end link

It was because you had one wheel up. Swaybars are a bitch if you aren't on ramps / wheels aren't loaded equally.

Edited by Rhitter

wow. 360K!

Fwiw All in all I've had a few subies that have broke the 300k club

02 legacy l sedan 5spd had 314k when I sold it

05 na wagon auto had 345k

91ss sedan had 214k

My current wagon has 240k