LegacyGT.com

Anyone delete their hood scoop?

I've been thinking of switching to an NA hood ever since I switched to FMIC but I just realized that the scoop is also used to vent hot air after a drive. The grille underneath the scoop is shaped to help with this.

So I wonder, has anyone done the swap? And if so, did you cook the paint over the turbo? Or am I (and the Subaru engineers) just being paranoid?

Keep the scoop for looks but block it with something black like the Mustangs used to do in the early 2000s with their fake scoops.

FWIW a center scoop is not ideal for aero. Engine bay turbulence contributes to a lot of drag and our turbo cars get it from the front and top. To evacuate the engine bay of air and heat the vents would be best placed out to the sides and back towards the windshield. Ideally the vents would be placed on the fenders like the Buick GNX where laminar flow flows over them and "pulls" air out like a vacuum. The Legacy doesn't have much free real estate on the fenders and considering the turbo, I'd place the vents on the hood to allow more direct venting or the turbo heat once the car is parked.

The race wagon has the scoop delete no real issues according to previous owner.

I have the old hood with the scoop removed. Your welcome to borrow as long as you dont cut it.

Cool. I might take you up on that when I get my car back on the road, hopefully before the end of the month.

Archived