LegacyGT.com

FA headers on the Unicorn

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Sorry for the lack of updates, it was summer in Australia and I was enjoying riding my motorbike too much.

With the lockdown happening I'm getting back into the garage to finish projects, starting with this one.

Intercooler piping arrived but will take some time for me to fit/modify as it's not designed for this car (GDA/GDB wrx kit).

If it makes fitting the pipes easier I may rotate the intake manifold.

Doing that might mean I install billet fuel rails while I'm there kind of deal.

Updates will come ...

EDIT: Looks like KillerB now sell just the flange adapter from the FA20 header to T4 and T3 as a separate item:

https://www.killerbmotorsport.net/subaru-fa20-to-t4-twin-scroll-turbo-adapter.html

https://www.killerbmotorsport.net/subaru-fa20-to-t3-twin-scroll-turbo-adapter.html

Pricey but great upgrade path after the MGT2259s reaches potential limits.

External Wastegate Ports I believe open up a decent restriction.

Edited by moral hazard

I don't see anyone making one for the vf54 flange personally, because if the unicorn status.

But yes, that would be an option, maybe if you have a mate with some welding skills. Then you could cut the flange off and weld on the T3/T4/v-band flange.

I have one better, my uncle owns a machine shop. So ill see what fab work is involve, maybe i can engineer one myself and see the costs involved

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I have an exhaust housing you can use for a template if needed. I would look at putting a universal flange on it. Vband or t3/t4, twin scroll if possible.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Currently in contact with a fab shop to make a vf54 flange to a 15+ wrx adapter. To better accommodate more turbo options, while still utilizing our factory headers.

Might also help the issue too with clearing the oil filter housing.

Guess we’ll see what’ll happen.

Who else might be interested in this adapter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Currently in contact with a fab shop to make a vf54 flange to a 15+ wrx adapter. To better accommodate more turbo options, while still utilizing our factory headers.

Might also help the issue too with clearing the oil filter housing.

Guess we’ll see what’ll happen.

Who else might be interested in this adapter?

I'd be interested in a universal option. The wrx turbo isn't really an upgrade.

I have an exhaust housing you can use for a template if needed. I would look at putting a universal flange on it. Vband or t3/t4, twin scroll if possible.

For a 15+ wrx or legacy?

I would definitely be interested in a adapter to a wrx flange. Seeings as there is a big selection of turbos out there for the fa! But im still folowing this thread to see the end result

Why be limited to what's available for the wrx? A vband or t3 will get you any aftermarket turbo or even an oem equivalent to wrx options.

Well if it ends up being a wrx flange, I’m not using the stock turbo. It’ll be mostly something upgraded.

After considerable thoughts, a t3, t4, t25 or a v band would benefit more options for us. But then we will have to deal with internal or external wastegate options.

I’m looking at a vband turbo that can be used instead of a wrx turbo, but this is all up to the fab shop.

Stay tune this week for further updates.

Well if it ends up being a wrx flange, I’m not using the stock turbo. It’ll be mostly something upgraded.

After considerable thoughts, a t3, t4, t25 or a v band would benefit more options for us. But then we will have to deal with internal or external wastegate options.

I’m looking at a vband turbo that can be used instead of a wrx turbo, but this is all up to the fab shop.

Stay tune this week for further updates.

I'm just considering, everything for the wrx is made for 2.0L engines not 2.5. Our ascent has the fa24 and same turbo as the wrx, it runs out of steam quick.

• 3 weeks later...
I can vouch on the oil filter relocation.

Curious what oil filter you are using after the relocation?

I've got the derale kit, looks like Fram PH8A is suggested.

Not sure if that's good in terms of relief valve pressure compared to the Subaru filter ?

Bit of an update, I've fitted the intercooler and piping.

Mamba Billet wheel arrived in the mail for the mgt2259s .

Hoping this is the final time I need to pull the headers off the car before I can drive it.

Still need to decide what to do about my exhaust system.

Edited by moral hazard

Curious what oil filter you are using after the relocation?

I've got the derale kit, looks like Fram PH8A is suggested.

Not sure if that's good in terms of relief valve pressure compared to the Subaru filter ?

Bit of an update, I've fitted the intercooler and piping.

Mamba Billet wheel arrived in the mail for the mgt2259s .

Hoping this is the final time I need to pull the headers off the car before I can drive it.

Still need to decide what to do about my exhaust system.

Absolutely, same relocation kit I believe as mine. Installed the filter on DS, right behind the bumper near the fog lamp and washer fluid tank. Easy removal there.

As far has the filter, I don’t like Fram filters, never have.

I ended getting the K&N 3001 filter. Massive filters compared to the stock ones.

Over the course of one year, dyno session and such. I’ve had absolute zero issue in terms of this kit. Slight seepage at the connections, but alittle plumbers tape and rtv as an added measure, works wonderfully.

Believe the 3001 filter has a RVP of between 8-11. Stock Subaru is maybe 11-16

• 1 month later...

So good news and bad news...

The bad news is that while installing the billet comp wheel, I've managed to over torque the compressor nut and it snapped the tip off the turbine shaft.

The good news is I'll be ordering a better replacement:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/202736071776

I have also reached out to an eBay seller to see if they have a suitable staggered turbine oil seal similar to this:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/322160568229

As there is some indication of low mileage leaking turbos and this staggered seal would mitigate that.

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2755557

Also I have attached a pic of how the wastegate actuator is now mounted.

I will continue other work on the car while I wait the many weeks for shipping of the items...

IMG_20200610_213830.thumb.jpg.22d1055875ddb37589c02853dfe1d3d3.jpg

IMG_20200610_215200.thumb.jpg.d8da01592f1a38b76a77436c8769083a.jpg

Edited by moral hazard

Could not get 100% confirmation that the staggered oil seal would fit however the seller said it's likely, so I'll be trying it out.

Currently discussing the option of having the turbine wheel clipped with the other eBay seller.

• 3 months later...
Have any of you seen these Russian exhaust manifolds on Ebay? I do not want to include the link, but search "Subaru Legacy 2.5GT equal-length exhaust headers". They look like they are for a dual scroll setup, but there is not much info regarding the outlet flange.

I believe his web page is IQperformance he will make the header with whatever outlet you want, I know a couple people on the facebook page have them and are very happy with the upgrade.

Have any of you seen these Russian exhaust manifolds on Ebay? I do not want to include the link, but search "Subaru Legacy 2.5GT equal-length exhaust headers". They look like they are for a dual scroll setup, but there is not much info regarding the outlet flange.

This owner here did this as well and had impressive result for his mods.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/fabsx-2010-lgt-build-thread-279300.html

If I was going to modify my GT further, I would probably do those headers with a bigger turbo. I would plan for STI transmission conversion because I am not sure how long our 6MT would last.