LegacyGT.com

Identifying age of stock turbo....

In the process of my build and taking parts out I got to my stock turbo.

It looks dam near new , there is absolutely no side to side shaft play and in and out is barley perceivable.

I figured 170k turbo was about toast and was the main reason I decided to go 16g. I'm kinda torn now.

Can I get production date from the serial or any way to identify if it is original ?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

I am guessing you got the car used?

Thinking maybe the Turbo was changed because of the banjo bolt issue/recall.

If you are the original owner I would say bravo! As even the most babied turbo cars generally have issues way before your mileage.

I would say as far as a date code maybe SIA can help but you are probably better off talking to a Subaru mechanic that has done the turbo repair before. It’s a hard one as nobody really looks at date codes unless warranty work was done. If it was in fact used when you bought it pull a car fax and see the date of the repair and you have your answer.

I believe the banjo bolt issue was for for 2005-early 2007 builds.

I am guessing you got the car used?

Thinking maybe the Turbo was changed because of the banjo bolt issue/recall.

If you are the original owner I would say bravo! As even the most babied turbo cars generally have issues way before your mileage.

I would say as far as a date code maybe SIA can help but you are probably better off talking to a Subaru mechanic that has done the turbo repair before. It’s a hard one as nobody really looks at date codes unless warranty work was done. If it was in fact used when you bought it pull a car fax and see the date of the repair and you have your answer.

I believe the banjo bolt issue was for for 2005-early 2007 builds.

Not original , was my mom's for a few years and had two owners before that.

I'm starting to thing this car was very built at one time and the current motor and turbo are not original to the car

It has a transmission from a 99 legacy in it.

So it was driven hard enough to need a replacement but the condition of the engine and turbo do not show that level of abuse.

It's anyone's guess but I think at one time it was put back to "stock" and sold

The stering wheel also show wear that is indicates some serious white knuckle driving

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk