LegacyGT.com

Christmas on my Dash - P0171,C0057

1kVfQNh.jpg

My Soob has an issue ..lol.. 2014 Legacy 2.5i

It drove fine to work this morning and then hello when I wennt to leave work! The Brake Light flashes, the cruize control indicator blinks, and the check engine light stays on constant.

I dont own scanner but took it to AZ and they said the MAF sensor needs replaced and two other codes showed up

one being P0171 (Bank one running lean) and the other one C0057

Now I know its possible to have all this go at the same time lol but really? lol

I then took it to advanced auto and thier scanner only picked up the code P0171.

From what I could tell it drove fine on the roads in acceleration and starting and shutting off. I have 128,000 miles and I be willing to bet the MAF is the original.

If I replace the MAF will the darn check engine light go off or do I need to have it reset?

Thank you folks

O yes n I just remembered randomly it happened once when I started it that it stalled and I had to restart it. It has only done this once n it was two weeks ago.

I am also thinking also that I might want to take this to a Soob dealer to ensure the code reading is accurate.

Edited by Sonder

When there is a code, the car disables cruise control so that you're more likely to get the vehicle serviced.

p0171 isn't always indicative of a bad MAF, other potential suspects are the AF sensor, a weak fuel pump or dirty/clogged injectors.

I'm at the dealership to have them scan her to tell me exactly what's going on TBC! Well its been awhile since I have been to a dealership and for the diagnosis it's a 130 dollars. Well I need it done with more precision and accuracy than the autoparts places can provide. Edited by Sonder

Ok it was a pleasant exp at the dealership. The ran the codes then ran thier diag. and did a smoke test. They found the my Air fuel sensor Bank one is bad. Now that I know I will order one and get it swapped out myself. Thank you again folks! I want to make sure I point out that all the places I went to to have them scan it like AZ, Adv Autoparts etc were all wrong!

AutoZone/autoparts place probably gave you the right code. To repair it effectively, one should follow the diagnostic flow chart in the manual.

AZ said I needed to replace my mass air flow sensor "that was wrong"

ADV AP they could only pull the code and could not tell me what is meant. So at that exact location that information was not useful.

On my print out from the dealer I dont see the code so I can not elaberate further on what they found code wise. AZ also said I had two other codes one was for the tranny and the other was the ABS. Now with my car the BRAKE light is blinking and the cruize control ICON is blinking.

Their scanners in the past have served me well, but this time it just was not meant to be. Then again at the dealer it was found that the Air Fuel sensor needs to be replaced.

I've been getting the P0171 codes for some time now where it comes and goes, especially in the winter. I was never able to pinpoint exactly what the problem was, but it recently came back. I got it checked at AZ today and they said I have the same codes as you and they also recommend a MAF sensor replacement. But before I go spending the $220 it costs for a new MAF did the air fuel sensor fix your problem?

You can pick up a can of mass airflow sensor cleaner for quite a bit less than that- there's 2 screws holding it in to the airbox outlet, pull it out and give it a spritz. May or may not solve the problem, but it's a good idea to do this as a routine maintenance thing.

...which reminds me, I haven't cleaned mine in a while, probably ought to get on that.

I've been getting the P0171 codes for some time now where it comes and goes, especially in the winter. I was never able to pinpoint exactly what the problem was, but it recently came back. I got it checked at AZ today and they said I have the same codes as you and they also recommend a MAF sensor replacement. But before I go spending the $220 it costs for a new MAF did the air fuel sensor fix your problem?

The Bank One Air Fuel sensor I ordered from Summit racing and will let you know as soon as I get it.

Granted it's not OEM but it's 137 dollars from Summit Racing it's much cheaper from them. AZ around here is 177 dollars ��

https://www.autozone.com/engine-management/oxygen-sensor/p/denso-exact-fit-oxygen-sensor-234-9136/269789_0_0

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dnp-234-9136/make/subaru/model/legacy/year/2014

https://www.autozone.com/engine-management/mass-air-flow-sensor/p/duralast-new-mass-air-flow-sensor-dl-3134/895156_0_0

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dnp-197-6130/make/subaru/model/legacy/year/2014

Edited by Sonder
Added Parts info

rumor has it if you go to the "general chat" forum, then look at the "vacation pix" thread that might just be stickied in there, you can find all sorts of info that might be helpful with sorting out issues like these...

rumor has it if you go to the "general chat" forum, then look at the "vacation pix" thread that might just be stickied in there, you can find all sorts of info that might be helpful with sorting out issues like these...

I will look thank you

So, I held off on buying anything and took it to my local mechanic so he could double check the code and they symptoms I was having. I guess my car was running on limp mode because I was down a gallon of coolant! He said he got a code for low coolant so added some and cleared the code and the engine doesn't feel like it's about to stall when I come to a stop anymore. Goes to show how accurate AZ's code readers are

I dont know if this will work but it is worth a try. Its most likely old news to some of you folks!

A guy has figured out a way without a scanning tool to figure out some codes on a Subaru! I do not know if this will work with all Soobs!

Edited by Sonder

Ok well as I await my Air Fuel sensor to come from Evenkiysky District, Krasnoyarsk Krai, Russia (kidding it coming from the west coast I have a few questions.

With technology being what it is I was wondering has anyone here had luck with scanners removing the code for the check engine light from their dashboard cluster?

I really hope I don’t have to go back to the dealer, but if I do I will do it.

I see I can purchase an OBD scanner that will delete the codes, but I don’t know how effective they are with technology being what it is.

I am looking at this scanner does anyone here have any experience with this model.

http://www.topdondiagnostics.com/topdonwebsite/product/productdetail/16.htm

OBD scanners are effective in reading and clearing codes. Auto parts stores should be able to clear them as well. Haven't seen that brand of scanner before, but you can probably find cheaper options, both handheld and with bluetooth to your phone.

The cluster method of reading codes will only show you body/cluster DTC's, so you won't be able to see/clear your engine codes from there.

Auto parts places around here will not clear the codes because I think they don't want the liability if something goes wrong because they cleared the codes. Yea their are cheaper alternatives to read n clear the codes.

My search continues and thank you for the heads up on the codes via through my Soob