LegacyGT.com

Screen keeps dimming on HVAC - 4th gen

S4TA

Last year, I had my stereo go crazy on me. The screen looked like a foreign language, controls locked out with stereo blasting, and AC locked out on heat.

I ended up buying an entire new unit from Subaru for over $400. Within a few weeks, the screen on the HVAC controls went blank, but all the controls still worked. Before I could get it to Subaru, it came back on. It did this off and on but never for the dealer. Maybe an 15 minutes of no screen every few weeks. Not a major issue; I just like everything to work perfectly.

Subaru refuses to warranty it since a dealer has to witness the issue even though I have multiple pictures. Corporate Subaru said the same thing. Pretty frustrating. So that leaves me with trying to figure out if this is a easy fix or not.

IMG_1145.jpg.10eac613c1f7daf968d833fe4ec38da7.jpg

I have the same problem for years and today I was just looking for a thread to see if anyone has fixed it. Your post is the first one I've seen.. Lets keep looking.

In the mean-time I keep pounding my fist on the the console until what ever is loose makes connection again.

Note that the the steering wheel controls still work on mine so I can change the volume and channel on the radio.

• 3 weeks later...

I have something similar going to what the OP has.

The display on the dash for both the stereo and heat controls are flickering on and off, on occasion.

Everything still works, and I can adjust things on the steering wheel (stereo only) when the display goes out,

but nothing can be adjusted on the dash controls, when the display isn't lit.

Whadayya all think?

If no one has specific info, then looks like a tear down of the center console is required. I saw that the wiring harness has dedicated power for the display elements. I'm hoping this powers the EL display and controls. Maybe the connector(s) are loose.

I have something similar going to what the OP has.

The display on the dash for both the stereo and heat controls are flickering on and off, on occasion.

Everything still works, and I can adjust things on the steering wheel (stereo only) when the display goes out,

but nothing can be adjusted on the dash controls, when the display isn't lit.

Whadayya all think?

Thats exactly what mine is doing as well. I was thinking possibly a fuse.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived