LegacyGT.com

Reporting the performance specs accurately

So I've owned my 05 Subaru legacy 2.5 GT turbo now for about 6 months. I have to admit, I took the car in exchange for some money I loaned a friend of mine. So the cars in good shape, and has 160k on it. CARFAX shows no issues or injuries to the car whatsoever. I put a new turbo on it the other day and started to drive it regularly. Now I can't stop driving it. This is my first Subaru, so this is all new to me. That being said, I have I noticed several things about the car. Firstly, It's fast. I mean ridiculously fast for a 4-door family car. It will outrun my 96 Impala SS LT1 V8 with upgrades. I took it to a local 1/8 mile track here two weekends ago, and it's running about 5.7 on the 0 to 60. This is bone stock, mind you, with no cold air intake, and no special provisions made in the engine at all. So, I look at the 0 to 60 time on the internet, and it shows the same. About a 5.3, 0-60 was fairly consistent; however, it must have been faster than that because I'm close to that at 160 k later. Secondly, I found another small surprise by accident. This sport mode on the transmission. My car does not have the dial to switch between the different modes, rather, you have to slide it over to the manual shift position for the sport mode engage. And holy s***. That just made it even faster. What is going on with these Subarus? How have I overlookef these gems for all this time? How Are they getting this kind of power out of a boxer 4-cylinder? I can cruise at 100 miles per hour without it feeling the slightest bit out of control. No shimmies no shakes no worries. I live here in the central Texas area of the United States, so you don't see many Subarus around this area. I feel like my whole existence is being questioned now. Haha.

Sent from my Nokia 3.1 C using Tapatalk

About the 0-60 time, the 5.3 is for the manual. The automatics are heavier and have a bit more drive train loss. When my car was stock, I did get it to 0-60 in 5.6 seconds however, some sites and on this forum people say its closer to mid 6's. However, either way you are right! GT sedans and wagons are some of best sleepers out there in my opinion. There's a reason why subaru is still putting the ej257(very similar to the GT's ej255) in the new STIs. Flat engines allow for horizontal momentum to cancel out vibrations. Paired with DOHC, AWD, and a turbo and you've got a speedy family sedan. I like this video of a heavily modified Legacy GT keeping up with a GTR.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I put a new turbo on it the other day and started to drive it regularly.

Why did you put a new turbo in it? If the original turbo bearings were worn and it was making noise, did you change and check the oil for metal? What did you do to get all the bearing material out of the engine?

Haha, welcome to the family! Nice to have a new members these days. If you plan on keeping her for a while I would peruse the Reliability Modifications thread. Sounds like you picked up a nice one.
everyone here on this form is been very very helpful in terms of answering questions that I've had. There's a whole wealth of knowledge here that people are very willing to share with others. That's a breath of fresh air. thank you for the maintenance tips I will definitely check them out. I've done several things already that were suggestions of other people, but I'll check out these as well. It's good to be here, and I'll say it again, damn this car is fast.

Why did you put a new turbo in it? If the original turbo bearings were worn and it was making noise, did you change and check the oil for metal? What did you do to get all the bearing material out of the engine?
the previous owner spun out the turbo prior to giving me the car. Like I said I took it in on a trade count as a joke if you will. I thought if nothing else I could get it going as a commuter car. However, now I can't stop driving it. but to answer your question, I went and spent about $600 on a good aftermarket turbo. Also, yes, I did my due diligence in terms of cleaning out the intercooler all of the passageways, anywhere and everywhere foreign particulatess could contaminate the system. I put severa lhundred miles on it now with this new turbo, and broken improperly. She's good to go.

Thats why we are all addicted to this 15 +- year old cars... LOL Love my 05 wagon! Haul the kids, our junk, or give a mustang a run for its money!
yes sir. Like one of the other guys mentioned. I love a good sleeper, and this was just about as good as it gets. I'm hooked. I'm already trying to find me a good slightly used spec b that's within my price range. Those are beautiful cars. I can't even imagine how fast they are

About the 0-60 time, the 5.3 is for the manual. The automatics are heavier and have a bit more drive train loss. When my car was stock, I did get it to 0-60 in 5.6 seconds however, some sites and on this forum people say its closer to mid 6's. However, either way you are right! GT sedans and wagons are some of best sleepers out there in my opinion. There's a reason why subaru is still putting the ej257(very similar to the GT's ej255) in the new STIs. Flat engines allow for horizontal momentum to cancel out vibrations. Paired with DOHC, AWD, and a turbo and you've got a speedy family sedan. I like this video of a heavily modified Legacy GT keeping up with a GTR.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

That video is great! I love it.

-Welcome to the forum

-Car mags thrash the cars for performance times. If you own the car and care about it you'll always be about .5-1.0 slower on 0-60.

-Skip the Spec.B. Not faster. Get a wagon with a stick instead. It'll be capable of same speed, but way more satisfying experience.

-When you say you cleaned passage ways, did that include tearing down the block, cleaning the case halves, heads, avcs cam gears, etc.? I ask that because we see a lot of stories of cars with blown turbos that get a replacement, oil flush, and then destroy the engine within a few months. Not saying you're screwed now, but we usually recommend a savings account for the car instead of offspring college savings account.