LegacyGT.com

Should I be concerned??

I swapped on winter tires today for the first time (probably overkill, but have had some rough commutes home in the past couple years).

While doing the front driver’s side I put a jack stand under the front frame rail; the jack let down too fast and the stand slipped a bit and pinched the frame. It also looks like it now has a small crack. See pictures below.

Should I be worried? If so, how does one go about getting this fixed?

b3b24d995c46e15cc00359d0ffea6963.jpg

fa4454a7aa711c2021e36b3389baa798.jpg

fbe77de97692d6148d635c9592a4b024.jpg

I swapped on winter tires today for the first time (probably overkill, but have had some rough commutes home in the past couple years).

While doing the front driver’s side I put a jack stand under the front frame rail; the jack let down too fast and the stand slipped a bit and pinched the frame. It also looks like it now has a small crack. See pictures below.

Should I be worried? If so, how does one go about getting this fixed?

b3b24d995c46e15cc00359d0ffea6963.jpg

fa4454a7aa711c2021e36b3389baa798.jpg

fbe77de97692d6148d635c9592a4b024.jpg

Looks like the paint is what cracked, I wouldn't be worried too much. But you would probably need to change the whole lower subframe to fix it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I am thinking the paint cracked, not the steel. You could probably have a shop weld a patch over it but I would likely just rock it the way it is. FYI, they make pads that go on floor jacks that make it harder to slip and/or mar things up. You could also use a piece of wood on the jack.

I am thinking the paint cracked, not the steel. You could probably have a shop weld a patch over it but I would likely just rock it the way it is. FYI, they make pads that go on floor jacks that make it harder to slip and/or mar things up. You could also use a piece of wood on the jack.

A patch is a place that can accumulate humidity and cause rust damage almost instantly.

453747.png

A patch is a place that can accumulate humidity and cause rust damage almost instantly.
+1

It will rust very fast if it is welded.

Pinch weld is the best place for jack stands.

Just drive it. Those things are designed to take impacts from road debris.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
Previous owner kept the car outside in NY, but it only had 19k miles on it when I bought it in 2014. Only has 55k miles on it now and lives a pampered life in the garage... Maybe I should spend a day trying to treat the surface rust underneath. Thanks!

Archived