LegacyGT.com

fog light issue (legacy limited with SRF)

I have a legacy with the stupid Steering Responsive Fog lights, which basically means if you have your headlights on, but foglights off, the one foglight on the side where you are turning will turn on and off using the steering input, as a result I basically drove with them on all the time, since I hate the constant flickering of one turning on and off, then the other...ad nauseam.

In any case, one of my lights burned out, so I went in to change the bulbs. Now both sides are out, after replacing both bulbs/

So I suspect a fuse, a wiring issue (less likely), or an issue with the SRS sensor (I think this might be the weak link).

I'd bring it to the dealer (still under warranty) but I hate the dealer and this issue is not something that I will take the time out of my week to address, as I plan on moving into a new car next summer.

Just an FYI if you have a limited with SRS that this problem has occurred and may happen to yours. If so, and you want to keep the car for a while, have fun at the dealer while they try to figure out which of the above is causing the fog light failure.

Do they not turn on even when you have the headlights and fogs ON or is it just the SRS function that is not turning on the corresponding fog light?

Couple of things you could do if you have a multi-meter to check if you are getting power at the connector. It's not completely out of the normal for new bulbs to burn out, so check the filament on the bulbs and try it out at a another location or an external power source.

Do they not turn on even when you have the headlights and fogs ON or is it just the SRS function that is not turning on the corresponding fog light?

Couple of things you could do if you have a multi-meter to check if you are getting power at the connector. It's not completely out of the normal for new bulbs to burn out, so check the filament on the bulbs and try it out at a another location or an external power source.

not worth my time, maybe the next owner will care about them.

FWIW, I'm more likely to buy a vehicle from someone if they've at least narrowed down whatever issues exist with the vehicle. Even if the issue is still there, I feel like the seller cared more for the vehicle overall if they at least know what would need to be fixed.

But it's your car and your time - do what you wish.

I remember when this feature came out a few years ago - I was in my dealer for a recall I think, and I was checking out the brand new Legacy on the showroom floor.

A couple was looking at the car with a salesman and asking lots of good questions.

They asked about the SRF and the salesman begins to tell them that the actual fog light turn/rotate to the side you are turning, to better illuminate the road where you are turning. The couple was very impressed.

I walked past and chimed in "actually, the lights don't move at all, the bulb simply turns on...."

I don't know who was more upset - the couple for being lied-to/misled, or the sales guy.... lol

I remember when this feature came out a few years ago - I was in my dealer for a recall I think, and I was checking out the brand new Legacy on the showroom floor.

A couple was looking at the car with a salesman and asking lots of good questions.

They asked about the SRF and the salesman begins to tell them that the actual fog light turn/rotate to the side you are turning, to better illuminate the road where you are turning. The couple was very impressed.

I walked past and chimed in "actually, the lights don't move at all, the bulb simply turns on...."

I don't know who was more upset - the couple for being lied-to/misled, or the sales guy.... lol

When the fog lights are turned on(not just the srf feature) - they DO turn :)

FWIW, I'm more likely to buy a vehicle from someone if they've at least narrowed down whatever issues exist with the vehicle. Even if the issue is still there, I feel like the seller cared more for the vehicle overall if they at least know what would need to be fixed.

But it's your car and your time - do what you wish.

I won't do a private sale, in NY State there are tax benefits to trading it in via a dealer sale, and I will be buying new, something with a bit more pep. It should have some residual value even as a lease, because I am well under miles on my lease.

• 1 month later...

Decided to fix the issue, turned out that the two fuses under the hood for the fogs were burned out, perhaps because one of the fog light bulbs had burned out?

In any case, these two 10A minifuses are found in the engine bay fuse box, directly next to the fuse puller. The relay for the fogs is also in that box, but it was the two minifuses that were the issue, so that problem is repaired and wont be an issue when I turn in my lease.

15 minutes of time well spent I guess, I never would have bothered going to the dealer for this as it would have been a wasted day.

Archived