LegacyGT.com

Anyone have a CB radio installed?

I'm thinking of installing a cobra 29LTD CB radio for the times I'm in the middle of no where. I've heard it to be pretty entertaining over the radio when you are out in the wilderness. I've never had one, so thinking of giving it a shot and see what its all about :)

Has anyone installed one on their 6th gen? If you did, where did you mount and what's your set up?

Not a CB radio, but I have a Hytera MD655 VHF that I put under the drivers seat and a magnetic foot antenna on the roof.

The MD655 has "everything" in the microphone, which means that the radio unit itself don't have to be visible and the microphone can easily be stuffed away.

But CB radio would be fine to have if you are out of coverage of your phone. There are at least a few truckers that uses CB radios these days but otherwise it's a pretty low-intense use of it now compared to what it used to be in the 70's and 80's.

453747.png

Your CB 29 GTL will do a fine job for a listening and talking.

Get a Wilson 1000 or 5000 mag mount antenna.... The latter being able to handle power during amplification of transmission...

I like listening during "skip"propagation...

I haven't install it in an automobile...

Your CB 29 GTL will do a fine job for a listening and talking.

Get a Wilson 1000 or 5000 mag mount antenna.... The latter being able to handle power during amplification of transmission...

I like listening during "skip"propagation...

I haven't install it in an automobile...

Thanks! I was looking at the Wilson 1000. Also trying to figure out the best way to wire the antenna. I obviously don't want to be drilling a hole in the roof.

Not a CB radio, but I have a Hytera MD655 VHF that I put under the drivers seat and a magnetic foot antenna on the roof.

The MD655 has "everything" in the microphone, which means that the radio unit itself don't have to be visible and the microphone can easily be stuffed away.

But CB radio would be fine to have if you are out of coverage of your phone. There are at least a few truckers that uses CB radios these days but otherwise it's a pretty low-intense use of it now compared to what it used to be in the 70's and 80's.

Nice! There is a similar CB unit available too. But a lot of reviewers complained about poor mic quality and difficulty in finding the buttons and dials as they are not backlit.

is the VHF unit you have a digital version of the ol' CB? (obviously on the VHF frequency and a ton of real world features like gps and calling)? Its a bit more pricey for my amusement purposes :)

is the VHF unit you have a digital version of the ol' CB? (obviously on the VHF frequency and a ton of real world features like gps and calling)? Its a bit more pricey for my amusement purposes :)

It's a digital radio using so called DMR technology and it's pretty neat. It's a commercial technology that ham radio also uses.

The radio itself can be used both for analog FM and digital so it's useful if you run both.

One neat thing is that if you configure it right and want to cover a large land area you can set up repeaters that are interconnected over the internet and the radio takes care of switching to the best repeater at the moment.

In addition to this the radio supports encryption so you can run a private conversation with your buddies. The GPS is also a neat feature and can allow you to see how far your buddy is, but not on the MD655 (or MD652 as it's called in North America) since the display is too small. For that you'd need a MD78xG, PD78xG or PD68xG. (x=Region code)

But unless you get a ham radio license you wouldn't really be able to appreciate it. Or if you are getting involved in some company or organization using that benefits from that - like MARS; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_Auxiliary_Radio_System

453747.png

Archived