LegacyGT.com

FA20F swap into 2008 legacy

Hi everyone, i have a 2008 subaru legacy 2.0 liter(EJ204) with a 5 speed manual transmission, i don't live in U.S and where i live this model is the only available legacy model, now i found a brand new FA20F with a 6 speed manual , ecu and wiring, i was wondering can this engine and tranny be swapped into my legacy, what will be the issues i should consider? The guy i'm buying the complete set says it came off from a subaru legacy GT. Edited by Amir

I'm thinking that is going to be a big undertaking. Do you have your own auto repair shop and have a great education in automotive engineering ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

No i don't , but i have a some good mechanics, the price for the labour is cheap here, i can buy the set for engine, transmission at a good price. I just want to know can it be done operarionally? Edited by Amir

The person who is selling me the engine is also giving me the transmission, wiring and ecu, i have seen ej20x and ej20y and ej257 be swapped on legacy (2005-2009), but i did not find any one who has putted an FA20F into this car. The alternator, ac compressor and all the engine belongings are on the package i am buying. What do you think? Any other issues you think?

I would start by verifying the physical dimensions. The various platforms built around the EJ engines were compatible re engine mounts, driveshaft length, axle location, shifter linkage, and mostly transmission mounts. I have no idea if the FA platform lines up the same, but if not it could certainly be a showstopper.

In my limited conversion experience, all those connection points had to be custom fabricated.

Wouldn't it make sense that the FA20* would fit in the same space as the EJ20/EJ25*? The FA20F specifically is a 2015+ WRX engine, right? And the 2015+ STI, which uses the EJ257, uses the same body and chassis that the WRX uses, so it would make sense it would physically fit.

Also, https://www.carthrottle.com/post/this-300bhp-wrxengined-brz-is-the-car-we-wish-subaru-would-make/

If the various and sundry 2015 Impreza variations use both the EJ and FA platforms, then yes, it absolutely makes sense that both drivetrains will fit in the same chassis. However, one must still consider all those connection points. The FA and its gearbox may or may not fit the '08 Legacy's engine mounts, transmission mounts, driveshaft length, driveshaft flange, and shift linkage. Again, I don't know. Just pointing out that the OP will need to find out if he does this swap. Personally, I'd find out for as sure as possible before buying.

Just saying sounds like a lots of $$$$'s ... wouldn't it be easier to do what most of us do, get a ej257 short block.

oh wait, he has a 08 with a 2.0L so it's not even a USDM GT.

Still sounds like more work than its worth.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

This could be one of those gifts that is more expensive than it first appears. Here's just a few things that come to mind.

I think the front crossmember that the engine mounts to is different in the later cars. The turbo is under the engine and exhaust is not at all the same. You will need some custom exhaust work.

FA engines use direct injection that is a higher pressure fuel system than what you have now.

You will need a hood with scoop for the top-mount intercooler.

You will need a rear differential that matches the final drive ratio in the new transmission.

Wiring seems to be a big challenge and that requires some specialized skill and experience.

As the joke goes, you can tell who are the Pioneers, they are the ones with arrows sticking out of the front.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Subaru_engines#FA20F

Since the FA20F is a direct injection motor, you're going to need the fuel pump and possibly the entire fuel system to make it work.

This sounds like a really really bad idea.

Edited by GTEASER

Well, that is what i needed to know, thanks for the great information, you think it's better if i put an EJ20Y or an EJ20X engine into my car? Would be easier? I have the option of one of these engines i mentioned. And yes my car is a european version of legacy.

It's going to be hard. I originally looked into doing it myself on my OBXT with the EJ25 and I was able to get a full T-boned WRX as a doner car, so virtually none of the interior was usable, but the engine, transmission, and diffs were good.

1. The engine mounting point miiiiight just fit. They're definitely a different PN. if they don't fit, you'll have to fabricate new mounts, or manage to drill and reenforce the stock mount, which wouldn't be super difficult, but would require welding and modifications.

2. The trans mounts will NOT fit, and would require custom fab. The 6mt/CVT is a completely different design.

3. The Exhaust would need to be custom. The FA20F will fit in a LGT engine bay (we are able to put the EZ in the bay, after all), but at minimum you will need to have a custom exhaust made.

4. The intake system would have to be a custom setup too. You could go FMIC to ignore the hood scoop issue, but that would be custom piping.

5. The 6mt on the WRX/LGT is cable actuated, NOT direct like the older 5mts. The 6mts in the newer LGTs are also NOT spec-b parts, and they're not as strong as a STI or SpecB transmission. You won't gain much here except an extra overdrive gear.

6. The gain on this would be only a few ft/lb of torque and hp, the real upgrade would be the fuel economy and a newer engine design.

7. You would likely need a custom ECU to run it, or at minimum some method of mounting the new set of gauges to your old dash. The FA20F is a fully CANBUS design, so the gauge cluster *might* work.

That said, if you are able to do it as a swap, document and take pictures of it, because when it's done it will definitely be unique.

• 4 years later...
One of my frequent problems is piston ring lodging. The guys at the service station checked through https://autoleap.com. They said that this trouble can be easily postponed until the subsequent overhaul if you use only the original oil recommended by the manufacturer. And it should be changed not in 15 thousand km, as it is written in the manual, but in 7-8 thousand. Then the increased oil consumption will stop, and the rings will not get stuck. The engine, in this respect, will become more durable and long-lasting. Edited by solliekisli