LegacyGT.com

Radiator hose clamps coming loose

The weather is changing here in northern Arizona to the point where it's near freezing at night and mid to high 70s in the day time. This constant hot/cold cycle is taking a toll on my hose clamps.

3 out of the past 4 mornings, I go out to start my car and come out 10 minutes later and see some drippings on the ground directly under the radiator. It's only a couple ounces or so and within the threshold that I know the overflow tank will safely recover the loss.

First it was the lower radiator hose connecting to the thermostat housing. It was loose about 3-4 turns. Then it was the upper hose where it connect to the coolant crossover and then this morning the upper hose to the radiator. The lower hose clamps were replaced with just regular hose clamps about a year ago. The upper clamps were loose almost to the point where I could move them. I checked/tightened all the clamps again this morning just to be sure I wouldn't have any further surprises on my 30 minute commute.

All my hoses, radiator, and lower clamps are new as of last year. Any tips anyone can share on stopping the hose clamps from backing off?

with new hoses you need to go back after 6 months or so and re-tighten, once the rubber sets and gets hot/cold a few hundred times they tend to shrink a bit and be way more malleable. thats probably the reason they were loose, not actually loosening up.

If you are using a screwdriver to tighten them, try using a wrench instead. Don't overtighten, though. There is a point where the hose begins to bulge out that is about the right tension. In the past, I liked the ABA stainless steel clamps, not tried on the Subaru, though. They're often used on boats. You can get them various places online.

If you are using a screwdriver to tighten them, try using a wrench instead. Don't overtighten, though. There is a point where the hose begins to bulge out that is about the right tension. In the past, I liked the ABA stainless steel clamps, not tried on the Subaru, though. They're often used on boats. You can get them various places online.

Thanks twisty and miles. I thought I was going crazy. Didn't know about the shrinkage of the rubber and retightening. You learn something new everyday.

I always tighten my clamps with a ratchet, just enough to make the rubber bulge. I don't feel like breaking my plastic inlets. I was considering changing the clamp style to something more "durable", but I'll just keep watching them over the next few weeks. Looking at the calendar, woulnd't you know today is exactly 6 months since I installed that motor.

Archived