LegacyGT.com

Cheap HP... whaaaaat?!?

I'm talking pennies here.. under 10$?!?

Well, unless you already sport a pretty Grimmspeed custom black IC, you are missing out on cheap powa!

The boys at McM prove that a BLACK IC, not even powder coat but like rattle canned yourself, reduces inlet temps drastically over shiny stock/aftermarket! :spin::cool:

What say you??!

Can't argue with science! #s don't lie! Lol

My scubi fund is maaaaad depleted piecing together a vf52 upgrade... so in the meantime for kicks, I think I'm gonna paint the tmic black, and maybe redip my rimz!

#balla #RaceCar :wub:

Big controversy over that. Watch the Engineering Explained video to see why it doesn't work outside a controlled environment.

With the little air flow our Tmic gets through the scoop...I'm willing to bet it DOES make a difference, if only not as drastic. Hence companies offering black Tmics and such, no?

With the little air flow our Tmic gets through the scoop...I'm willing to bet it DOES make a difference, if only not as drastic. Hence companies offering black Tmics and such, no?

They're offered because people buy them, not necessarily because they work better.

I watched the engineering explained video. However, I'm not convinced. I think real world tests would further either of their claims... and that's what McM has over the young engineer, is data to back up the theory, not just flashing a book of thermodynamics to back you up.

I get the convection vs radiation too... seems to me if your IC is relinquishing heat as it cools that's a plus to me though. And the only time it'd be a negative is if it were exposed to the Sun and thus absorbing heat via radiation and then your going backwards.

The top IC companies don't offer black for no reason, and I'd certainly say it doesn't make them inferior.

If it's a DIY, though, making the layer as thin as possible would be vital. Don't wanna add a nice black blanket around the IC.

Just for knowing (because it looks you think that our black intercoolers are painted or powdercoated):

Our "black intercoolers" are actually coated in a thermal dispersant. The color of the coating is nearly irrelevant, however because of it's chemical composition it is able to increase the thermal conductivity of the body. THAT is why it is effective. It could be bright green and still effective, but it works because the coating actually functions to increase thermal conductivity.

Most intercoolers that are painted or powdercoated from manufacturers are done so to hide the grinding or filling of all the imperfections in the castings or core.

As far as MCM testing, take it with a grain of salt. I've had discussions with people over some of their other "testing." While the series is certainly entertaining, more often than not they aren't controlling variables which skews results.

But you're both right: Theory is one thing, and testing (proper) is another. I would encourage you to try this if you're interested, but do some controlled tests so you can see the answer for yourself.

Chase

Engineering

Just for knowing (because it looks you think that our black intercoolers are painted or powdercoated):

Our "black intercoolers" are actually coated in a thermal dispersant. The color of the coating is nearly irrelevant, however because of it's chemical composition it is able to increase the thermal conductivity of the body. THAT is why it is effective. It could be bright green and still effective, but it works because the coating actually functions to increase thermal conductivity.

Most intercoolers that are painted or powdercoated from manufacturers are done so to hide the grinding or filling of all the imperfections in the castings or core.

As far as MCM testing, take it with a grain of salt. I've had discussions with people over some of their other "testing." While the series is certainly entertaining, more often than not they aren't controlling variables which skews results.

But you're both right: Theory is one thing, and testing (proper) is another. I would encourage you to try this if you're interested, but do some controlled tests so you can see the answer for yourself.

Chase

Engineering

GS Thermal Displacement Coating FTW!

-Brian

Contact us for all your tuning and performance parts needs! Etuning the legacy community since 2008!

Follow us on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I watched the engineering explained video. However, I'm not convinced. I think real world tests would further either of their claims... and that's what McM has over the young engineer, is data to back up the theory, not just flashing a book of thermodynamics to back you up.

I get the convection vs radiation too... seems to me if your IC is relinquishing heat as it cools that's a plus to me though. And the only time it'd be a negative is if it were exposed to the Sun and thus absorbing heat via radiation and then your going backwards.

The top IC companies don't offer black for no reason, and I'd certainly say it doesn't make them inferior.

If it's a DIY, though, making the layer as thin as possible would be vital. Don't wanna add a nice black blanket around the IC.

"Top IC companies" will gladly make an intercooler perform worse by throwing some black paint on it and charging a premium. End-game is profit, and to be honest, a thin layer of paint is negligibly going to affect your performance. There's a reason you don't see coated heat exchangers in most other applications. The bare metal exposed to the exchanging medium (in this case, air) will perform better.

Chase

Engineering

Interesting! Is it a trade secret of yours, or would you be able to share more specifically the type of compound used for the dispersant coating? Even some other properties like coating thickness, thermal conductivity over temperature, emissivity, etc?

Thanks for the replies everyone...

I had figured the best IC out wasn't merely rattle canned black- good to know it's MUCH more efficient!

While I don't expect ground breaking results, I do think there is some merit to the claim. As for thermal radiation and how the silver vs black cools and expells heat is interesting. Being out of the sun makes me think the black would have no negatives- entirely dependent on how it's achieved. If one were to use say plastic dip and basically put a blanket on the IC, it would ha e adverse effects. A light coating of something much thinner Bieber might produce more desirable results.

If the intake drops 1*, I'll call it a success!

One could also question if the light coat does anything to help or shall I say resist heat soak. While not necessarily color induced, maybe a coat can help expel some of the radiant heat and also act as a barrier to under hood temps.

Sounds like having your cake and eating it too however. I plan on using a matte black grill paint that covers well with minimal paint dries to a chalky feel.

:Shrug:

Archived