LegacyGT.com

viable steering rack upgrade?

naimouasta

being that the new 2015 sti has 13:1 hydraulic steering and the underpinnings are similar to 2008-14 impreza's, what are the chances that the steering rack bolting up to a legacy (4th gen specifically)?

if it does, it'll be an awesome upgrade second hand once people start crashing those 2015's.

• 2 weeks later...

$500 is very cheap for an STi rack. If they are looking on Rock Auto, they don't have the correct part numbers, and sell you an old WRX steering rack. Seen many folks get screwed over on that.

-Mike Paisan

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/153798190.jpg

Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Enthusiasts since 2001.

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) |AIM: AZP Installs

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Bump. Anyone do the swap on a Legacy yet? Found out today I need to replace my leaking steering rack, and was wondering if I can make my DD a little more fun.

2006 SWP 3.0R 5EAT VDC BBQ

2008 OBP 2.5i 4EAT BBQ [RIP]

• 1 month later...

I'd recommend following the NASIOC thread:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2601789&page=7

T-37 is swapping the 2015 rack into his GD, so I think whatever applies there will apply to our cars as well. So far, it looks like just a spacer (and maybe tierod adjustment) is all that's necessary. Fingers crossed...

Flatiron Tuning is also talking about possibly selling retrofit kits, but that could be months (if not years) away.

I'd recommend following the NASIOC thread:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2601789&page=7

T-37 is swapping the 2015 rack into his GD, so I think whatever applies there will apply to our cars as well. So far, it looks like just a spacer (and maybe tierod adjustment) is all that's necessary. Fingers crossed...

You're overthinking this. The 4th gen Legacy front suspension is almost identical to the GH8 WRX, and we share the same crossmember and steering column universal joint. The '15 STi rack will bolt up straight up to the GH8 and it will therefore bolt up to the 4G Legacy ;)

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Anyone put a GT rack on an Outback? Someone once told me it couldn't be done, but I think the only real difference was the longer steering column on the Outback. It's like steering a sailboat.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/info-ob-gt-suspension-geometry-removing-spacer-180579.html

I think you can. I think it's as easy as swapping in the rack and leaving the longer steering knuckle on.

edit: just saw that you asked questions in that thread. So ignore me.

You're overthinking this. The 4th gen Legacy front suspension is almost identical to the GH8 WRX, and we share the same crossmember and steering column universal joint. The '15 STi rack will bolt up straight up to the GH8 and it will therefore bolt up to the 4G Legacy ;)

I did not know that. I thought that the BH/BP Legacy was closer to the GD/GG chassis.

Do you know if the LGT's universal has the rubber dampener, or is it solid like the STi's?

I did not know that. I thought that the BH/BP Legacy was closer to the GD/GG chassis.

Do you know if the LGT's universal has the rubber dampener, or is it solid like the STi's?

Remember the development cycles go Legacy first, then Impreza, then Forester. So, the GH chassis was developed after the BH/BL but before the BR/BM.

I call my GH8 a short-wheelbase 4.5 generation LGT. Same basic powertrain as the 4th, just a different turbo. Same front suspension. I am running Konis for a 4th gen on mine as they fit right up. Same steering, cross member etc. Same downpipes, intakes, intercoolers all fit. Moving rearwards it gets newer. Same basic rear suspension as the BR/BM chassis, same rear subframe, links etc. but just the shocks are a different length then the GH and GR items. Same rear brake fitments as the 5th gen... I'm using the BR9 vented disks on mine, and the calipers were a direct fit, but I'm using some adapters and the old FHI 2-pots... Lego.

Yes, the UJ has the rubber parts like the GH8 and SG9 do. GR STi ones do not. A friend fitted the GR item to his SJ9... he said it increased feedback (for better or for worse) but not response.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Yes, the UJ has the rubber parts like the GH8 and SG9 do. GR STi ones do not. A friend fitted the GR item to his SJ9... he said it increased feedback (for better or for worse) but not response.

So the STi UJ should also be directly swappable with the BL/BP unit? Excellent...

• 2 weeks later...

Well I'm not 100% since I haven't done it yet, but my understanding is that when I remove the body lift I will either need to put in the LGT u-joint with the OBXT rack or keep the OBXT u-joint with an LGT rack. I believe the difference in the splined input shaft length is what causes this. New LGT u-joints are expensive (north of $100 IIRC) so IMO you are better off putting that towards the quicker rack. I'm not sure how the OBXT u-joint will work with the LGT rack and the body lift in place.

Of course my OBXT-sized tires may rub once I have that much steering angle, so we'll see how that goes. Worst case I will swap out the final drive in the trans and rear diff and run LGT-sized rubber, but that is looking down the road a ways.

I was super unclear - I meant any idea if the STI will swap into an OBXT? Or does the same comment apply?

I think my tires rub ever so slightly at full lock in the fender liner (and I am a quarter of an inch higher than a Legacy)

also do you have pictures of your cars up?

hmm my Honda Fit's rack is 12.8 - having a 13 in my Outback would be crazy.

Archived