LegacyGT.com

ebo03's 2006 Baja Turbo - IAG built motor, Dom 1.5XTR, Cobb Flex Fuel, Brembo, Recaro

I just ran across this thread. Nice job.

I have a 2006 in the same color, stage 2 with 4eat.

Can you provide specs on wheels?

I was looking at those same wheels but couldn’t find which would work.

I have not upgraded brakes so I still have stock 5 x 100 bolt pattern.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just ran across this thread. Nice job.

I have a 2006 in the same color, stage 2 with 4eat.

Can you provide specs on wheels?

I was looking at those same wheels but couldn’t find which would work.

I have not upgraded brakes so I still have stock 5 x 100 bolt pattern.

Method MR502. 17x8, 5x100 bolt pattern, +38 offset.

https://www.methodracewheels.com/products/mr502-rally-bronze

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE: All parts should be back next week.

IAG started tear down and inspection on the heads Monday. They will require a little more work than initially expected. A crack needs to be welded, a thread needs to be repaired with a Timesert and valve guides will be replaced. When all the stage 2 stuff was installed I noticed a bolt was broken off in the back of the right side head where the turbo bracket mounts. Apparently there is also a crack near that area. And no surprise on the valve guides with 170k miles. Oh and the cam bores required polishing.

Intake manifold and exhaust parts should be finished by this Friday or Monday. Intake manifold will be ported to match IAG TGV deletes and coated. Busted Finger Motorsports is taking care of that.

Header, uppipe, EWG dump tube and front section of downpipe are at Swain Tech for white lightning coating.

Edited by ebo03

• 2 weeks later...
Intake manifold and exhaust parts are back from coating. Still no update from IAG on the heads. Tuesday 2/26 will mark 6 weeks that they've had them. They were inspected on Monday 2/11 so I would think they must be close to being done. But no update from IAG yet.

• 1 month later...

As of two days ago they are still on target to finish the heads April 23. I'll believe it when they show up at my doorstep.

If that happens it should be up and running by the first week of May. Need to get some break-in miles on it and see what I can figure out on fab work to get the hood scoop and splitter to fit the N/A Legacy hood.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

All machine shops must be busy this time of year. I have my Short block, turbo and heads at 3 different shops and they all keep telling me next week, every week I call.

Good luck with your anticipation and wait.

All machine shops must be busy this time of year. I have my Short block, turbo and heads at 3 different shops and they all keep telling me next week, every week I call.

Good luck with your anticipation and wait.

Racing season, lol!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

My heads arrived at their shop January 15. The week before they quoted a 5 week turnaround time. At that point they had also just released their staged cylinder head packages.

I called to check the first week of March and was informed there would be a 2 month delay with April 23 as the new target date. Apparently they had received nearly 200 pairs of cylinded heads, including mine, in the 1-2 week period from when they quoted my turnaround time as 5 weeks. As of early March they only had one guy who does the machining for heads. They were hoping to hire another but obviously that isn't a position that anybody could walk right into with no prior experience.

In 6+ years of dealing with IAG, they have always offered top notch customer service. It's disappointing that this has dragged out but some things are beyond control of both the customer and shop. I had a previous experience with them on an install/tuning that went longer than expected and into the following day. These things happen and you just have to ride the wave sometimes.

I also had an idle issue on my 5th gen that popped up out of nowhere back in 2015. On three separate occasions, I spent a day up there for them to test and trouble shoot including many hours on the dyno. There were easily 20 man hours spent on that and I eventually left with about a $500 tab after a fuel pump install and conversion to hybrid tuning with MAF and speed density. I felt like that was beyond fair given all the time spent.

• 1 month later...
Awesome. Can't wait to see some pics. I'm sure it will have been worth the wait.
Motor is assembled. Should be running by the end of the week.

Brendan - on a side note I have a lead on an 18 STI trans and R180 with 23k miles. Damn good deal considering age and mileage. I reread through the details of your swap. The trans and diff could be dropped in either of my cars when the time comes. Each one has their own complexities but it will certainly be easier in the Baja. I even have a set of 07-09 spec B Legacy rear axles that should bolt right up to the Baja.

87abdc1cc6637225c4bb1af124a1d3b1.jpg

Edited by ebo03

• 2 weeks later...

Baja 2 piece belt cover was broken so I replaced it with a Grimmspeed. With minor modification it fits well enough.

Oil was changed at 50 miles moving to Motul break-in. Some sparkle in the conventional oil as expected but nothing to cause concern. Upcoming intervals with break-in are 500 and 1,500. At 3,000 I can use Motul 8100 X-cess 5w-40.

Baja is going back to the shop today to fix a trans leak. Constant seepage from connection at left front axle. Axle was replaced during all the recent work. I'm guessing the seal appeared ok so it wasn't replaced but had failed. Or was damaged during removal/install. Either way let's hope for a quick fix.5993b93dd4b06a314c28ac46ae99a02b.jpg

The axle seal was the culprit; trans leak is fixed. The car, excuse me TRUCK, stalls about half the time at low speed when shifting in neutral. It may be due to the 04 STI ECU swap. The neutral position switch changed on 2005 MY. Currently the ECU thinks it is in gear when in neutral and vice versa. I verified this on the Cobb AP.

I knew the different NPS would cause cruise control to not work with the 04 STI ECU. It's easily fixed by swapping an older style NPS. I intended to do this later on since loss of cruise isn't a big concern right now. I was not aware of other consequences related to the neutral position switch. Let's hope this is another quick fix and the NPS smooths things out. The guys at IAG also think this is the solution.

If anybody is wondering, Subaru part #32008AA074 is the older style NPS.

It came with 225/70/16 General Grabber AT with only 300 miles. Also a BNIB 2" lift kit with trailing arms. I will be selling both since I'm not feeling the lifted concept.

There was a killer looking Baja at the shop I go to, and I was wonder where I could share it.

Here seems as good as any:

48140039616_3cac3317f0_b.jpg

:hide:

There was a killer looking Baja at the shop I go to, and I was wonder where I could share it.

Here seems as good as any:

48140039616_3cac3317f0_b.jpg

:hide:

Nice, I like that. The only issue with lifting these is that you will go through axles at a quicker rate than I'd like. I'm not trying to spend money on it frequently. Having a large sidewall tire on it doesn't really make sense at the power level that I expect to be once tuned. Currently it has 225/60/17 and at speed this chassis is floaty enough as is.

I seem to remember BBPeik had to swap the wires of the NPS car side harness connector in his 5th Gen when he put the STi 6MT in. Either that or the reverse wires.

I think I recall that as well. I knew that cruise would be lost but I wasn't expecting driveability issues. I hope to get the NPS swapped over in the next few days so let's hope it takes care of it.

Edited by ebo03