LegacyGT.com

Lowering Springs or 18s?

paintpollz

• Mega Users
I'm looking to fill in that wheel gap a little bit on my 07 LGT. I know that whithin some point im going to need to buy some snow tires for this winter, because I'm a big skiier/snowboarder, and travel to a bunch of mountains. Should I keep the stock wheels and put some thick snow tires on them? Then when summer comes, buy a nice pair of 18s and low pro tires? Just want to fill that wheel gap. Or keep the 17s and drop it an inch, and get a new pair of 17s for summer? Does anyone have a lot of experience with driving a lowered LGT in the snow?
"Remember Danny - Two wrongs don't make a right but three rights make a left."

Go for springs if you want to reduce wheel gap and gain considerable cornering stability. 18s won't reduce wheel gap technically I think. If it's done right, the overall diamater of the tire should stay the same goin from 17s to 18s; less tire sidewall and more rim if you know what I mean.

Get good all seasons for the winter; it actually snows what 10 days a year where we are anyway; in the summer get nice 18s with summer tires. All IMHO of course.

• Mega Users
ya but how good are all seasons tho. if im gonna get 2 sets of rims, i might as well have a nice summer tire, and a nice winter tire. will i have any rubbing issues with it lowered an inch with 18s. i bet it would look sooooooo sweet.
"Remember Danny - Two wrongs don't make a right but three rights make a left."

You'll be okay lowering it with 18s as long as you get the right offset wheels and tire size. Check this thread out for all the info you need on that:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4426

all seasons vs snow tires in the winter: Personal preference I guess; everyone will have a different opinion. Last winter I got around just fine on all seasons the couple times it snowed and I didn't have any troubles. I was still able to enjoy the ride the other 95% of the time it didn't snow too, which is a big factor for me.

18's won't fill much of the gap. 18's and lower = :D I'm running 225/40 R18 Bridgestone RE 960 AS and love them. They are great in the snow, proven by a snowy week in Tahoe, and they handle great in the dry summer months, they're quiet too. If you lower your car an inch you will be hindering your snow driving ablilities anyway. Save the money of a set of snow tires and put it towards springs and shocks/struts, you will be much happier. Also, be prepared, tires for 18's aren't cheap compared to 17's. You may want to consider sticking with the 17's, I had to put my stockers back on a few months ago adn the car felt torquier, if that's a word.

----Hang up and Drive!----

Archived