LegacyGT.com

Issues with H11 bulbs blowing

2015 Legacy, having to replace the H11 low beams quite often. Doesn’t make a difference if you put in the cheapest or the most expensive. Should I be looking for an underlying issue or is it just the type of bulb?

I’m assuming it’s just a H11 thing since I had the same issue with my 2011 Explorer.

Any recommendations of a fix, or replacement would be appreciated. Is there a led that would solve the problem without blinding oncoming cars, and still put out a good pattern?

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you checked the voltage in your Legacy's system with the engine running? Overvoltage in excess of ~14.4 volts will result in substantially shortened lamp life.

As just two data points, the Hella H9 low beam lamps in my 2015 Legacy and 2016 Outback, which have a much shorter rated life than the OE H11s, are still going strong after 5+ years and 50,000 miles (each).

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Have you checked the voltage in your Legacy's system with the engine running? Overvoltage in excess of ~14.4 volts will result in substantially shortened lamp life.

As just two data points, the Hella H9 low beam lamps in my 2015 Legacy and 2016 Outback, which have a much shorter rated life than the OE H11s, are still going strong after 5+ years and 50,000 miles (each).

Checking voltage at the alternator or the lamp plug? I will check that and see. If the amperage is good I’ll check out the bulbs you mentioned.

Thanks for the reply.

Hella long life h11's might be good to try too, from what I've read they should be good for at least 500hours, which is good. Sylvania xtravision h11's for example are only rated at 150hrs.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/subaru,2015,legacy,2.5l+h4,3308826,electrical-bulb+&+socket,fog+/+driving+light+bulb,11696

Thanks, I’ll check those out as well.

2015 Legacy, having to replace the H11 low beams quite often. Doesn’t make a difference if you put in the cheapest or the most expensive. Should I be looking for an underlying issue or is it just the type of bulb?

I’m assuming it’s just a H11 thing since I had the same issue with my 2011 Explorer.

Any recommendations of a fix, or replacement would be appreciated. Is there a led that would solve the problem without blinding oncoming cars, and still put out a good pattern?

Thanks in advance

I am sure you know this already but in the case you did not remember last time; never touch glass part of the bulb with hands. Oil from your skin will make them burn faster.

If that is not the problem then I would check bulb socket for corrosion or loose pins etc.

Hella long life h11's might be good to try too ...

Just be aware that "long life" bulbs may be substantially dimmer than "standard life" bulbs. Within any given lamp type, there is usually a trade-off between brightness and service life ... assuming the same supply voltage.

Even the "standard" H11 has a relatively long service life rating. The GE catalog lists the "Rated Average Lab Life" of their standard H11 as 550 hours at 13.2 volts, vs. 1400 hours at 13.2 volts for their "long life" H11L.

See: http://www.zap-tek.com/webpage/Elect/lsn_4/014_lamp_res.html

I am sure you know this already but in the case you did not remember last time; never touch glass part of the bulb with hands. Oil from your skin will make them burn [out] faster.

X2. If you do happen to touch the glass envelope with your bare fingers, you can safely de-grease it using a clean cloth or paper towel wetted with clear alcohol (isopropyl, ethanol, vodka, etc.).

Edited by ammcinnis

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png