LegacyGT.com

Misfire Codes on Entire Bank

What manner of fresh hell would cause an entire bank to register a misfire, P0301, P0303, P0305, while still running apparently normal?

It trips the check engine light, of course, but also disables VDC, and blinks BRAKE and CRUISE.

I lost my USB cable to connect it to RR or something to bring logs in, but a new one's coming on Wednesday. Any ideas in the meantime?

Also, Hi, I'm new here *waves* :attention: I came here from the Outback forums since I done sold that thing year and some change ago.

Not much to do in the meantime except check all the electrical connectors on that side (injectors, coils, cam position).

Once you get your cable, check the AFRs/fuel trims. I'm not sure if they'll be separated by bank, but if one is off compared to the other, I'd start by replacing the upstream O2 sensor on the odd bank side.

The service manual says check "spark plug, fuel injector, compression ratio, skipping timing chain teeth". You'd probably notice if it was either of the last two, but you might not notice if its fueling related as it can compensate quite a bit for a clogged injector rail or bad O2 sensor.

Edited by coco26

I'd agree with that, although I'd probably take a look at the plugs first- should be able to tell if you're rich or lean on that bank, or if you're right in line with the other bank. Assuming all three codes popped up at the same time, I'd definitely look at things that are common to those three cylinders, rather than guessing that 3 independent parts all magically failed simultaneously.

I pulled the battery for a minute and cleared it, it hasn't returned yet... however I'm still going to dig into this.

Could a bad cat do anything like this? I ask because there's a whole hell of a lot of heat coming out from underneath there and it even smells like when you're welding something.

Potentially, but you would probably notice a decline in performance if it was clogged. Running lean will overheat that cat though, which might be the source of the smell.

You can check the plugs like cww516 suggested for a quick answer on if its fueling related. If you're worried about the cat, you could use an infrared thermometer and compare temperatures at the inlet, center, and outlet of the cat between sides to see if theres a blockage.

It could also be an oil control valve for the cam timing. First thing I would check though is that your battery is good, have it load tested, then check the grounds on the engine.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

The ground terminal was a little loose when I disconnected it before, but the battery tested good about a week and a half ago at like 640 amps.

100 miles later it hasn't come back yet. USB cable coming tomorrow though, I'll still take a good look in it to see what's going on.

I have attached some logs. Looks like cyl 6 registered a miss on decel (why? aren't they basically off on decel?), banks have some distance between them on correction percentages. Bank 1's about 5% higher. Some other stuff might stick out to people who are more experienced than I am.

idle.csv

cruising.csv

wot-to-60.csv