LegacyGT.com

3rd gen struts

So I have heard rumors that 3rd gen struts will fit in my 05 LGT and they have a little stiffer valving. Is this true and are the front and rear stiffer? My plan is to install tein h tech with new struts and not breaking the bank (daily/ winter beater). Would front and rear 3rd gen struts with h techs be a good setup?

I think this is only the case on the wagons. In the wagons, the 3rd Gen struts are... better. No one is exactly sure (that I know of) what exactly is different. Something with the rebound and compression. The fronts I believe are more similar than the rear.

2005-2009 Outback Suspension FAQ

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?share_fid=90850&share_tid=28368&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Esubaruoutback%2Eorg%2Findex%2Ephp%3Fthreads%2F2005-2009-Outback-Suspension-FAQ%2E28368%2F&share_type=t&link_source=app

I can't comment on spring compatibility between generations or if it's a good set up. But there's some info for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

no OE strut is good enough for an aftermarket spring, and since the 4th gen has aftermarket konis and bilstein shocks available for its platform, why bother with 3rd gen shocks? even the KYB-GR2s the are available will probably be better than an OE shock(though i would still not put crappy tein lowering springs on them).

1. IIRC the front struts are not compatible, only the rears work.

2. i would not lower the car at all on OE struts, or any other strut for that matter that was not designed for increased spring rates or limited suspension travel.

3. this fixation with using 3rd gen struts is unwarranted if you are buying new aftermarket units. just buy KYBs listed for the 4th gen.

I'd imagine you could get some bilsteins. Either get some jdm units (some used for sale in the marketplace right now) or I think the hd8 series is designed for lowering springs. Or get some bc racing coil overs.

Those are the ones I know off the top of my head made for most vehicles. What's breaking the bank for you? I mean I just put like 10k into my engine rebuild so $1k on new coilovers doesn't seem that much.

I'm looking at 3rd Gen rear kyb, king overload springs, 4th Gen kyb fronts and maybe up rated springs there too. That's about $800 plus assembly labor. If I use the stock springs up front it's still $600.

Or get some lightly used jdm bilsteins (not sure about how much they lower) for about $500

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For the reason to lower your car (I'm assuming) is for the looks/style? Don't end up like so many other people who went cheap as possible to only popping the oem replacement struts and end up spending more later. I am really happy with the bilstein struts in combo with the swift springs on my sedan.

Like the others have said, using the correct application will get you more enjoyment out of the ride. Not to mention also the safety

Fronts also work if you have a compatible top hat to swap over.

Most JDM Bilsteins are thrashed too so you end up being lucky to get 20-30k km out of them. They're usually swapped out because they're starting to get a touch knocky.

Well worth getting a properly designed product for the situation.

2000 Legacy B4 RSK - SOLD

2006 Legacy BP5 GT Spec B wagon - Garage Thread

2011 VW T5 van 2.0L of turbo diesel awesomeness

Don't think they lower it much if at all. Ride height looks similar on US ones to JDM ones. JDM pink springs are a good choice for a mild 15mm-ish drop on JDM struts but are expensive for the limited drop you get.

The valving just isn't designed for the higher spring rate and limited travel which in most cases causes them to ride quite poorly. It isn't a uniquely Tein spring issue but an issue with almost all lowering springs in general on the factory struts. You can pull them apart and regrease the internals which can help a heap but isn't a long term fix.

Edited by Andy_Mac

2000 Legacy B4 RSK - SOLD

2006 Legacy BP5 GT Spec B wagon - Garage Thread

2011 VW T5 van 2.0L of turbo diesel awesomeness