LegacyGT.com

2007-2009 Spec.B Production Numbers

In the US, model years are offset. The next model year cars are available in the fall, so the manufacturer is beginning production even earlier than that. Subaru produced the bulk of the 08 Spec.Bs from 03/07 to 04/08. Your car as an 04/07 date would've been somewhat early, but there were over 150 '08 Spec.Bs produced by the end of April '07 already.

The JDM "Type" designations do refer to small changes throughout the production of a JDM vehicle generation. Sometimes the JDM Type designation does not match up to a USDM car's production date exactly. Someone here who is more well-versed in the differences between JDM and USDM can probably tell you more.

If you give me the last 5 digits of your VIN I can tell you exactly what sequence number and day your car was produced.

At 9:38AM Pacific Time this morning my brain got totally scrambled. That's when I looked at the manufacture date for my relatively new to me 08 specB.

Last Sept I bought what I was told is an 08 specB

The VIN says it's an 08 specB

I've confirmed the bits and pieces an 08 specB is supposed to have

Everything says it's an 08 specB

... so can someone tell me why it has an 04/07 manufacture date?

The Legacy/Liberty B4 platform is an awesome car around the world. Some very cool parts and pieces are available for it from Subaru and STi. I'd like to do some mods to the car with them. Easy international shipping sure is nice nowadays.

One thing I came across was that some JDM part's were "type" specific. Huh? More searching led me to believe it had to do with manufacture date. For me the important ones were I believe type-D Mar 07 to Mar 08, type-E Mar08 to Mar09, type-F Mar09 to Mar10. Or, some such. Kept finding parts that fit "B4 BL type D", etc.

So, out I go to the car this morning and I see 04/07!?!?! Two hours of thorough searching all over the international internet and I have no answer for the difference. Was this 08 car actually built that early in 07?

This thread is the best place I know to drop this post.

Can anyone shed some light? Heck, I may not of even correctly deciphered what the "type" is supposed to mean. Thanks. Resbum

Last 5 digits. My 09 is removed. I didn't know a person could find that much detail on the build date. Thanks. Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

In the US, model years are offset. The next model year cars are available in the fall, so the manufacturer is beginning production even earlier than that. Subaru produced the bulk of the 08 Spec.Bs from 03/07 to 04/08. Your car as an 04/07 date would've been somewhat early, but there were over 150 '08 Spec.Bs produced by the end of April '07 already.

Thanks for the answer and thanks for starting this thread, Alphius. I guess I should formally check into the thread.

I have a 2008 QSM

I knew of the early release dates for model years, but I never imagined they stockpiled them in lots somewhere for 6 or 7 months before the first one was sold. You are right about my number. It's barely off the 200,000 mark.

The JDM "Type" designations do refer to small changes throughout the production of a JDM vehicle generation. Sometimes the JDM Type designation does not match up to a USDM car's production date exactly. Someone here who is more well-versed in the differences between JDM and USDM can probably tell you more.

Thanks for the confirmation. I finally looked at a Japanese part somewhere and the seller not only listed the type, but included the start and end dates in day, month, year format for each of the types. Since then I've roughly thought of it as the Japanese version of model year. Versions I'm well familiar with, but letter types were new to me.

If you give me the last 5 digits of your VIN I can tell you exactly what sequence number and day your car was produced.

Thanks again. I'll send a PM. Call it an over abundance of caution, but 7 billion people can see this thread.

Resbum

307953665_IMG_3205cropped.thumb.jpg.e5eaeb9c78d5ce5116f97c11ec8fabdd.jpg

Edited by Resbum

Thanks again. I'll send a PM. Call it an over abundance of caution, but 7 billion people can see this thread.

Resbum

Remember anyone can walk up to your car in any parking lot and read the VIN too. ;)

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Remember anyone can walk up to your car in any parking lot and read the VIN too. ;)

I can't do anything about that, but I can control handing it to the world on an open forum. :lol: Ever considered what personal info a total stranger could get on you knowing those 5 digits? $40 in data searches turn up more than you might think.;)

I can't do anything about that, but I can control handing it to the world on an open forum. :lol: Ever considered what personal info a total stranger could get on you knowing those 5 digits? $40 in data searches turn up more than you might think.;)

removed it, thanks.

... so can someone tell me why it has an 04/07 manufacture date?

If the VIN says its a 2008 then I would trust that. I look at cars101.com the sites mentions that the 2008 Legacy pricing was released in March 19, 2007. Perhaps Subaru did an earlier release on the 2008 then they typically now do. (I wasn't around this site when 4th Gen were being released)My 2012 Legacy GT was made in 1st days of 2012 production and has a manufacturing date in August 2011.

• 2 weeks later...

08 QSM currently pushing 220,000. Still pulls pretty strong although not without its issues. I'm starting to think it might be time to let it go.:icon_sad:

7 years and 180k of my own miles, this has been the best Subie... best CAR I've ever owned. Really fun to own such a rare car and a blast to drive. I doubt anything could ever fill its treads (at least not that I'll ever be able to afford:lol:)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guess that makes 3/16 of us located in this thread :)

I am not singling you out as many are doing this as well, but I don't understand why everyone is checking in to a production number thread. Their is other manufacturing production numbers in this thread and it is just buries the data with an off topic check in. It seem like another thread should be created for that topic like the 2006 Spec.B Registry thread is.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Post 49 shows how many were here, but he didn't have the colour breakdown

Here's Canada:

265 total cars delivered from 07-09

139 in 2007

78 in 2008

48 in 2009

I didn't have time to do the color breakdown for these ones.

08 Spec B, insta: @08_spec_b, 10 SH Forester insta: @shfozzy

Yes I am aware, hence my username. Two white 09 Spec B's were for sale in Winnipeg at the same time, I bought one of them to replace my 99 Legacy GT. I was only looking for one day and both ad's were only one day old. The odds seem very unlikely to come across two white spec B's for sale at the same time in the same place. With the rarity of the car and having never seen one in person until now I was interested to know how many exactly were white in Canada.

28 SWP 2009 Canada delivered.

20 DGM 2009 Canada delivered.

40 DGM 2008 Canada delivered.

38 QSM 2008 Canada delivered.

138 DGM 2007 Canada delivered.

1 BSM 2007 Canada delivered, probably a press car or test car because it's a very early VIN as well, produced much earlier than the rest of the 2007 Spec.Bs.

1 BSM 2007 Canada delivered, probably a press car or test car because it's a very early VIN as well, produced much earlier than the rest of the 2007 Spec.Bs.

:cool:

This is probably the one I currently own as the vin is very low. Not sure if you can confirm Alphius but it ends in 31

#LGTSTi is still cheaper and nicer then an equal year wrxsti

Follow my 2007 Spec B. Build here

:cool:

This is probably the one I currently own as the vin is very low. Not sure if you can confirm Alphius but it ends in 31

Ha, amazing. That's the one. Do you know any history on it?

Produced 04-04-2006. The next '07 CADM Spec.B wasn't produced until 07-11-2006.

• 1 month later...